Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Car Mechanics

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 30th, 2006, 07:06 PM
If anyones a car mechanic here nothing personal but I just had to vent.

I feel like I am getting the run around and spending money I dont have getting my car first.

The signal lights in my car stopped working about a month back. So I took it to a local garage. They suppposedly fixed it and charged me 60.00. Two days later it stopped working again. So my husband suggested I take it to the dealer which I did. I called and made an appt to bring it in the next day, when I get there the service tech says there is no way we can take it today. So I did say I had an appt and someone was going to look at it and give me a general idea of how much it will cost.

So the tech said well it could take four hours to find the problem so we would charge you for all the labour and the part. Which didnt make me feel to confident that they knew what they were doing. So I booked an appt again for my hubby to bring in the van,

So he brought it in last week and left it there all day, they said they needed a part and ordered. So the van was taken to the dealership again today and was there for at least three hours. They then discovered that no its not the right part its a different part, and I have to bring it back on Wednesday now, so they can charge me again for labour. If they charge me for all the labour I really think I am not going to be happy. As we will have had to bring we the van in for the third time and its not our fault they couldnt order the right part.

:evil: :evil:

Prin
January 30th, 2006, 08:24 PM
You have to love your car. I'm serious. (It's a longish story, sorry)

My car has been so buggered and the mechanics I have been to have only made it worse. I had my tranny redone this summer by my mom's man and a week later, the engine light came on. I got Acura to hook it up to the machine and see what it was and it was a sensor that was badly plugged in. They couldn't reach it, but in trying, they managed to plug it in by accident. They told me not to go over any potholes or it would cost me $1000.

Well, this week, the man went over a pothole and the light came on. I was so sad. I was going to bring it in on Friday to get the test redone, fix it all and reset the light (on Acuras, the light has to be reset, even if you fix the problem- so I've been told).

So this morning, my car started well despite the weather and while I was in traffic, I told my car what it meant to me (I was alone talking to myself, yes, I know.) and how grateful I was that it kept working, even though I know by now it should be dead.

And tonight, on my way home, the light shut off.

I'm telling you, you have to love your car.:o

But yeah, I hate mechanics. I fix the same things over and over and each time, the next mechanic says the last one was a hack. I have a 9 year old car with 230 000kms on it and I have the original radiator, original muffler, original alternator, original almost everything. But I've changed my spark plugs every 6 months (which is absurd for a honda), I've changed all 4 wheel bearings twice and the transmission bearings twice (which is absolutely insane for a honda).

We need better recourse on bad mechanics. More suing power! :highfive:
End rant.

Frenchy
January 31st, 2006, 11:46 AM
I work at the service dept in a car dealer;I would tell you to get mad.Don't be a bi... but just a little.Ask to see the manager...you don't have to pay for time spend when they didn't get the good part!Also,don't go alone,go with your husband.Sometimes they will take advantage of a "poor little lady" who doesn't know about cars.If you are too nice,they will charge you too much.Good luck.

Frenchy
January 31st, 2006, 11:48 AM
Another thing,I would go back to that first garage!If it's only to tell them you paid them $60.00 for nothing.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 31st, 2006, 08:19 PM
Prin= I have a 9 year old car with 230 000kms on it and I have the original radiator, original muffler, original alternator, original almost everything

My babys 11 now but shes only got 125 000 k on it but I do 100k back and forth to work, plus driving around town, so I will be catching up to you pretty quick. Thats 26.000 K plus a year.

So I am supposed to bring it back tommorow for them to get the right part except now the signal lights seem to be working so I am not sure what to do.
Are they going to stop working again.

Also my hubby thinks I should just pay for all the labour so I am actually going to go in without him because he doesnt like it when I make a scene.

mafiaprincess
February 1st, 2006, 08:42 AM
I would go in, and not be a raving b****.. but Make my point. It isn't your fault that they screwed up. I know enough about cars, that 75% of issues I've ever had I've fixed myself.. But thankfully the garage down the street is pretty good to me when I can't deal with an issue. Last place I'd ever go is a dealership, but I have a 24 year old car.. and Ford rarely stocks my parts anyhow, lol.

Gazoo
February 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM
Another thing,I would go back to that first garage!If it's only to tell them you paid them $60.00 for nothing.

should have gone back there in the first place rather than spending more money at a dealership :confused:

SnowDancer
February 1st, 2006, 11:37 AM
I recently went through a similar experience - no lights at all - including brakes - on my 2002 car with 20,000 km - $800 - supposedly both circuit lights fried at same time - "very unusual" - and warrantly wouldn't cover it - of course 3 years or 60,000 km whichever comes first. But then I received a recall notice for a defective part on my model and year that could fry and if it did could result in complete light failure. Called GM - the parent company - and they called the dealership and told them to refund my money. The dealership tried to imply that the faulty part had nothing to do with my lights failing - even they sounded embarrassed saying this. So I get the money back, they had to take out the replaced faulty part which they hadn't said was faulty. Then a few weeks ago I get stopped and was told I didn't have any lights on the driver's rear side. Here we go again. Off to dealership - wasn't a bulb - so back in again. The diagnosis was incorrect installation of the new part. We didn't pay. Bottom line though is that you absolutely have to have this looked at - you might have a short or something. If someone should rear end you and you don't have lights you will be at fault. I just picked the car yesterday from being repaired after being rear ended by a Hydro truck - I was completely blameless - thankfully I had lights. So bumper and dent have been fixed - by some miracle the lights weren't touched. Hope you get your problem worked out. We still have a limited warranty on the transmission - it was extended no doubt to problems people have been having - other than that I will be taking my car to a garage we used to frequent. The day the circuit boards went was the day we were going to ask about a Blizzaks package - well we bought them, but not from the dealership.

glasslass
February 12th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Did JoeE.CockersMom ever find out what was wrong with the signal lights? We're having the same problem now with my Mom's Buick LeSabre. The right turning light stopped working. After spending $60 to replace bulbs, it still doesn't work. But then, it'll suddenly start working. Can't figure it out!

Gazoo
February 12th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Did JoeE.CockersMom ever find out what was wrong with the signal lights? We're having the same problem now with my Mom's Buick LeSabre. The right turning light stopped working. After spending $60 to replace bulbs, it still doesn't work. But then, it'll suddenly start working. Can't figure it out!

The next step would be replacing the "flasher" and then checking the switch and then God forbid the wiring.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 12th, 2006, 11:40 AM
We did get the problem fixed it wasnt the flasher as we replaced that and it worked for two days then broke again.

Then we took it in two more times to the dealer. The first part they tried to put in was the wrong one (sorry I cant find the receipt to know what part, but it was the more expensive car part - it apparently needed the cheaper one. SO it seems to be working now after spending over 300. Oh well at least I am safe now. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 12th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Actually I never mentioned this and not sure if it had anything to do with it or not; but we took our car to a well known place that sells tires and does basic automotive stuff. anyways we bought some snow tires and they did an oilc change, checked fluids etc.

Anyways two days later I am driving to work and the whole way there I cant figure why I cant get the heat to work - like its blowing freezing cold the way there. So when we drive by the Tim Hortons - the whole car starts over heating smoke is coming out everywhere and the car just seizes right up.
We manage to pull the car over when we lifted the hood. They had forgot to put the cap back on the radiator or the oil tank. Cant remember which one - but there was fluid everywhere. Anyways they fixed it - and gave us a free wheel alignment too - but the signals stopped working about a week after that. Could just be coincedence I'm not sure. I did mention it to the other mechanics but they werent sure either.

Lucky I was where I was because on the drive to work had I broken down on the highway it would have been in the middle of nowhere basically.