Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not Breeding..Am I Crazy

shannon1233A
January 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
As you all know, Kenzie has earned her Canadian Championship, and we are going to continue to show her as long as she enjoys it as much as she does and we do. Her breeder has even offered to take her to the US and believes she could also get her AKC Championship, as did her Dad, Mom, and sisters, (her uncle just won the title of Best In Show at the Eukaneba Show (Costello). Anyway, we are often asked at the shows if we plan on breeding her, and the answer is definately not! The reasons are as follows, am I nuts for feeling this way? (I respect and admire those who can responsibly, but:

1. First and foremost, I can't imagine putting her through the pain of labor, lol (even though I've had 3 easy ones myself)

2. There's too many Alaskan Malamutes who don't have loving homes as it is, my breeder also does Rescue and has 5 needing homes now.

3. I don't know enough about breeding, although my breeder would handle that part

4. She'd have to be away from us and live at my breeders home for all those months, and we couldn't stand to be away from her that long, shoot, never even left her overnight!

5. Too many doggys need loving homes as it is.

But as I said, First and foremost is the not wanting to put her through labor. Even if all the other reasons were rectified I still wouldn't breed for that reason alone, lol! Am I crazy?__________________

Prin
January 30th, 2006, 12:48 PM
It is a risk. Even if you do it responsibly and all that, there is still a risk to the mother. I wouldn't do it because my babies are babies. They are pampered like no other dogs and their only "job" is look pretty and give me hugs. I know, not too deep. But seriously, I wouldn't want my baby to go through that when there are so many out there who are already.

But then again, if you get Kenzie tested for all the health issues and all that, then you'd be breeding high quality dogs genetically and the world needs those, IMO (and less BYB badly bred doggies).

shannon1233A
January 30th, 2006, 01:12 PM
It is a risk. Even if you do it responsibly and all that, there is still a risk to the mother. I wouldn't do it because my babies are babies. They are pampered like no other dogs and their only "job" is look pretty and give me hugs. I know, not too deep. But seriously, I wouldn't want my baby to go through that when there are so many out there who are already.

But then again, if you get Kenzie tested for all the health issues and all that, then you'd be breeding high quality dogs genetically and the world needs those, IMO (and less BYB badly bred doggies).

Our breeder does like to have her pups tested even if not bred, just for her records. Kenzie will be tested for Thyroid, OFC, eyes, hips when old enough anyway.
But, I respectfully (and you know I love you :) ) disagree that breeding high quality dogs genetically healty and tested = less BYB badly bred doggies. I think BYB will always exist unfortunately no matter how many breed high quality genetically healthy dogs. I agree we need better breeders, and in the betterment of the breed, but I think that no matter how many breed "the perfect healthy and temperment wise Mals, there'll always be that greedy, selfish BYB who's only in it for the money, cutting costs at the doggys expense :evil:

Prin
January 30th, 2006, 01:19 PM
oh, I know one pile of doggies won't take the other pile away. I meant that we don't necessarily need less responsible breeders, we need less irresponsible breeders.

Rottielover
January 30th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I am the same way,If I was in your shoes, I would have said no for all the reasons stated. I also could not imagine where all her pups went. Anything can happen even if the breeder finds the best homes. I just could not chance it

CyberKitten
January 30th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I agree with you - I actually have more knowledge about genetics than the typical person but I would not conasider breeding until I had a mentor who could teach me the ways of genetics and Siamese. I even know how to do genetic testing and have dine it but do not consider myself to have enough expertise - here is a great article that explains my feelings exactly (though perhaps if I ever retire, I can afford the time and money and effort breeding would require but when there are a few credible breeders out there, why would I add to this mix? It really makes little sense with you see how many purebred meezers with wonderful lines are in rescue

http://personal.cfw.com/~dtratnac/neuter.htm

So, considering all that, I seriously doubt we need any more breeders no matter how many champions we have - I never bred my Grand Champion meezer either!! There arwe too many babies who need homes and while yes, I have a PhD in biochemistry and understand and do genetic cousnelling, I feel I need to know more than that to get into the cat breeding world in a serious way. I do not recommend for anyone and any breeder who dies it casually and claims they understand genetics and breeding and cats usually does does not have info. I talked to one who meant well but had not even considered that an ancestor of one of her meezers might have had certain health problems that would affect the offspring of her kitties.

I guess we just see so many unwanted babies that it is so hard - I mean YY is a show quality meezer but I spayed her as soon as I could. She had all the assets to be a champion but I was not even sure I wanted to risk her health (cancer and so forth, I love my baby!!!) I know good breeders do too but it is a whole different world and way of thinking for them.

mona_b
January 30th, 2006, 09:24 PM
You are definately NOT crazy......;)

You have your reasons for not breeding,and I totaly respect them.This is your dog,and you have the right to not breed.

I know quite a few friends who have Ch/Titled dogs,and they have not bred them.And don't plan on it.They enjoy the showing,meeting new people and the traveling...:) ...And when they think that the time is right,they will retire from it.:)