Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does your Dog watch TV?

Corrie
January 30th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Does your Dog watch TV? I have a one year old West Highland Terrier named Charlotte and she is fascinated with television commercials!

There is a commercial on TV now for Cadbury Easter eggs, in which some people walk through a field picking up bunnies that make all different sounds, till they find the right Cadbury bunny….OH MY GOSH… she goes nuts!

Also, guess there is a new movie coming out about some sled dogs that get separated from their family and have to trek home over the tundra….Charlotte is beside herself barking and crying at the TV…

And last but not least…her favourite….wait for it….March of the Penguins!!! I swear that commercial is crack cocaine for Westies! She must try to go inside the TV and see the penguins or she will die!

I have had a few dogs in my life….but none so interested in the TV as my Charlotte…anyone else have a TV watching pet?

StaceyB
January 30th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Montana my dane watches T.V. all the time.

Lucky Rescue
January 30th, 2006, 10:40 AM
One of my cats would sit and watch an entire nature show. During the exciting parts, she would dig her claws into my knee.:p The only time she couldn't control herself and ran up to the tv was during a show about African Meercats.

Don't let your dog watch those - he'll go ballistic!

My dog isn't a big fan, although she loves to watch border collies herd sheep. This really gets her attention. Maybe she's a wannabe?:D

joeysmama
January 30th, 2006, 11:03 AM
It's so funny that this thread is here today. We were just laughing about this last night.

Joey never wtached the tv. In fact, he would hear a dog bark on tv and run to the general vicinity and bark in every direction but that of the television. and the tv wasn't too far from the floor, either. But he just seemed oblivious to it.

But Cooper.....Cooper will sit and watch if something catches his attention. Last night we were trying to fill a little space at the end of my daughter's dance video and we taped the dog. When we played it back a few minutes later he was fascinated by it. I might put it in again later for him. It's a hoot.

jawert1
January 30th, 2006, 11:31 AM
My pointer attacked my ex's 60" flat screen during the opening scene of Ice Age, where Skrat is trying to hide his acorn. I've never seen my ex move that fast, EVER :D Aside from that tho, my two are only interested when a doorbell rings or something loud happens or a dog barks on tv.

shannon1233A
January 30th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Shannon, our GSD, watches the Animal Planet Channel for hours on end, no matter what show is on and even the commercials. There's a thread here somewhere where I posted Shannon makes the news, as when our Vet made a house call she couldn't get over how much Shannon watched tv, even whinning and barking at me every time I changed the channel! They've also written a story with pictures about it on their website.

shannon1233A
January 30th, 2006, 11:41 AM
And another one taken 2 hours later, lol

Here's the URL to the News Article: http://www.wellingtonvet.ca/index.php?view=pageView&docid=2721

joeysmama
January 30th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I just read the article. I think it's adorable that she brought toys to the tv for the puppies. TOO CUTE !!:)

SnowDancer
January 30th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Most definitely - and will respond to many sounds - even whistles. Sure wish our mail man wouldn't whistle. He can also turn it on - Eskie paws are short of hand like - and loves to press the buttons of the remote - and also open the car windows.

jessi76
January 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
my old cat used to watch "The planets funniest animals" on animal planet. I'd just turn it on, and yell... Mittens, your show is on!... and she'd come to watch it. she would get all excited, make chirpy noises, fling her tail back & forth, and try to "catch" the animals on the tv.

My currents cats aren't interested in TV.

Tucker, our dog, watches occassionally - he prefers Animal Planet. Anytime there is barking, he stops, looks at the TV, tilts his head, then looks at me.

shannon1233A
January 30th, 2006, 01:48 PM
See, that's the thing, she doesn't only watch when there's animals on! As you can see in the first pic, she was watching the commercial about some holiday destination, there's a plane on. She'll watch tv for hours no matter whats on, but Animal Planet is DEFINATELY her favorite channel. Last night we watch Flightplan with Jodie Foster. Sometimes, I really think she's a reincarnated human couch potatoe, lol :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Prin
January 30th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Shannon, you know that the tv is not a babysitter, right? Just because she likes it doesn't mean it's ok.:D

shannon1233A
January 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM
LOL@ Prin. I know, but I'm good about not letting her watch the Playboy channel :evil: :evil: :evil:

Prin
January 30th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I wonder if dogs would find the lack of fur disgusting...:D

I'm glad you use your good judgement to assess these issues. :) You don't want an obese doggy, right?

shannon1233A
January 30th, 2006, 02:22 PM
You don't want an obese doggy, right?
Well, yes, Shannon is a little overweight, but it's not because she watches too much tv; unfortunately, at her age, her hip dysplasia(sp check isn't working) really bad, as is her arthritis, so exercise is very limited. She can walk to the corner, but no further as she's in too much pain. I've had to call hubby to pick us up around the block because she was limping so bad, she'd just lay down and refuse to get up and walk. Her medication helps a bit, but even the vet said not to go any further than the end of the street, it's too hard on her joints etc.

Sunkist/Winnie
January 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM
My Sunkist will watch TV, but only cartoons - Bugs Bunny and Tweety, or Simpsons seem to be what catches her attention the most.

Winnie my other cat couldn't care less what's on.

However, they both think chasing the mouse pointer on the PC monitor is a great game, never mind that I'm trying to work!

nrsggrl
January 30th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I always giggle when my Keno watches t.v. He really enjoys his "Squirrels Gone Wild" video, although he's not much interested unless we're watching it with him.

Prin
January 30th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Well, yes, Shannon is a little overweight, but it's not because she watches too much tv; unfortunately, at her age, her hip dysplasia(sp check isn't working) really bad, as is her arthritis, so exercise is very limited. She can walk to the corner, but no further as she's in too much pain. I've had to call hubby to pick us up around the block because she was limping so bad, she'd just lay down and refuse to get up and walk. Her medication helps a bit, but even the vet said not to go any further than the end of the street, it's too hard on her joints etc.
:o I wasn't calling her fat... I was saying too much tv can make a girl pudgy...:o Poor doggy with her bad hips. She needs lots of hugs to get her heart pumping.:love:

Corrie
January 30th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear my Charlotte isn't the only doggie who watches TV!!!!! I already have a couple of "mother and daughter" evenings of TV watching planned for her and I....Febuary 13 and 14th on the USA network is the WestMinster Dog Show! She's gonna go NUTS!!!!!

shannon1233A
January 30th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I know, listen, if I pay you and all the shipping costs, can you tape it (Westminster) for pretty, pretty please? See, Kenzie's Dad, Tobe is going in for Breed, and her uncle, Costello as well. He just won the Eukaneba Nationals, and our stupid cable company (Cogeco) switches to Canadian content in the evenings. I know the Eukaneba show was replayed on Animal Planet this past weekend and they didn't carry it, so I called them. They say it's not likely Westminster will be televised either due to airing rights, and % of Candaian content and we don't get the USA channel :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Like I said, I'll pay for your trouble and all costs involved, :angel: :angel: :angel:

I just noticed you live in Tottenham, my parents are in Angus! I could pick it up if you could tape it for me? PRETTY, PRETTY PLEASE?

Dog Dancer
January 30th, 2006, 04:17 PM
My Shadow loves watching TV. We call it VTV because all we can see is the V between her ears when she watches. Anything with animals will do. Recently she was deeply engrossed in the Schrek movies, she likes Donkey alot! Silly girl. Lucky for her dad is a real western movie fanatic so we get lots of horses running around now. Her favourite is the agility shows she's all over the screen and looking around the back and stuff. Kissing the screen (I think she just likes dust...) and tilting her head to listen. It's great to watch her. Halo couldn't care less about the TV though. She wants the real thing.

chico2
January 30th, 2006, 05:22 PM
My Chico and Vinnie will watch,but only Animalplanet,especially"Growing up.."whether it's Baboons,wolves or whatever,Chico is mesmerized for an hour,Vinnie gives up after a while:D
Here's Vinnie in my room(ignore the bottles).

StaceyB
January 30th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Montana gets to watch his mom on tv in the morning. I wonder if he will watch that show.

doggy lover
January 30th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Tucker watches TV and he just loves show with other dogs on, his favorite is the Superdogs video.

divinecalamity
January 31st, 2006, 03:13 AM
My dog Brooklynn, who passed away last April, was the first dog that I had that watched tv...we used to laugh and think it was so cute...now our two dogs Zoe and Corey watch tv...and it isn't as cute anymore...I am worried Corey is going to chip a tooth :D
this is a picture of a picture of Brooklynn watching a program on dogs..lol...the large white light is the reflection of the flash on the digital camara lol :pawprint:

jesse's mommy
January 31st, 2006, 06:13 AM
Once in a while Jesse watches TV, but she enjoys watching the kids outside more!

My parents dog watches TV all the time. Her favorite show is Planets Funniest Animals and even comes running to the TV when my parents say Matt is on! (She knows the hosts name!). She pulls out every toy and plays with all the animals on TV. A few times she's head butted the TV! :eek:

Skryker
January 31st, 2006, 09:04 AM
My tabby cat Dancer is a big fan of animal documentaries. I had to switch channels back to a show about lions one time. I think she was getting pointers on stalking behaviour. She only chases deer on the screen (weird!), will look all over the house for chirping birds and runs away when she hears a hawk or owl.

Our two new babies watch just about anything that catches their attention, but never for more than 2 or 3 minutes. They will bark back at any large dogs that bark. No favourite shows yet.

My sister's cat years ago would make herself dizzy watching car races-round and round. She fell right over trying to keep up with a gymnast on the uneven bars-it was hilarious! Her fave was hockey, though. She'd get so excited that she would run around the side of the TV trying to catch a puck that went off the screen.

StaceyB
January 31st, 2006, 09:53 AM
One of my poor students has been running around his house for the past hour trying to find me. He heard me on tv and got confused.

Corrie
January 31st, 2006, 12:42 PM
Shannon1233...sure I'll tape WestMinster for you!!! No problem at all. It is on Feb 13th from 8-11 pm and again on Feb 14th 8-11pm....would you like both nights or do you know when the dogs you are interested in are going to be in the ring?

You live in Elora? That is very close to me...do you have a big satelite dish? We don't usually get the USA network either, but I added it to my satelite package for 3 months for $5.00 just so I can watch the West Minster Dog Show!!!!

Let me know which days you would like and I'll be happy to tape it for you,

Corrie!

Hunter's_owner
January 31st, 2006, 11:49 PM
This is Hunter watching t.v. There is some sort of wildlife show on...:)

Hunter's_owner
January 31st, 2006, 11:50 PM
Forgot the pic :o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 1st, 2006, 12:45 AM
Well Joey doesnt share the interest in tv watching, but he likes to sit in between us and gaze longily at us while we watch tv. I guess were his entertainment. :D

shannon1233A
February 1st, 2006, 09:43 AM
Shannon1233...sure I'll tape WestMinster for you!!! No problem at all. It is on Feb 13th from 8-11 pm and again on Feb 14th 8-11pm....would you like both nights or do you know when the dogs you are interested in are going to be in the ring?

You live in Elora? That is very close to me...do you have a big satelite dish? We don't usually get the USA network either, but I added it to my satelite package for 3 months for $5.00 just so I can watch the West Minster Dog Show!!!!

Let me know which days you would like and I'll be happy to tape it for you,

Corrie!
THANK YOU SO VERY, VERY MUCH! I'd like the whole show if possible, but esp. Group 3, The Working Group, especially the Alaskan Malamutes, as Kenzie's Dad and Uncle are competing! No satalite dish, only our stupid cable company. THANKS AGAIN

Rottimom
February 2nd, 2006, 11:53 PM
This is a great thread! :thumbs up

Hercules watches tv very intently. Unfortunately any animal on tv causes him to charge at the tv. Big screen now has a few scratches, and I can't seem to keep up with the saliva/snot smudges :yuck: Today he saw a commercial for that new bull riding show on TLC. He first rammed the tv, then grabbed his bone. He really seems to think the animals on tv are gonna take his stuff.

But he is soooooo cute, the way he tilts his head back and forth, like he's really paying attention and can't wait to see what happens next :p

jesse's mommy
February 5th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Jesse was watching TV for the first time tonight! She was watching Puppy Bowl II on Animal Planet. She was watching them, then she was looking behind the TV for them, then she just laid on the couch and watched them with a big smile on her face! I was so proud of my little girl. It only took her two years to figure out what "doggie on TV" means! :o

StaceyB
February 6th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Anyones dog watch cats and dogs last night.

Corrie
February 6th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I started watching Cats and Dogs last night (not much of a Super Bowl Fan!!!) but had to change channels...Charlotte was going NUTS and wouldn't settle...just kept sitting so close to the TV...barking...growling...crying...and generally trying to attack the TV.
I really wanted to watch the Puppy Bowl..but we don't get the Animal Planet. :sad:

StaceyB
February 6th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Montana started watching too close to the tv and then went to the couch to watch the rest. Actually all I could think was what I would say to my kids, you are going to hurt your eyes watching that close. It really doesn't matter whether there are animals on or not but he does like watching animals. He is really a tv junkie.