Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat punky

ateteens
January 29th, 2006, 11:38 PM
i lost punky in september because some drunk was speeding on my street.

Prin
January 30th, 2006, 12:05 AM
How do you know who killed him?

cindyann
January 30th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Sorry to hear about your pet. But thats what happens to any pet that is allowed to roam freely. Its the chance you chose to make by not keeping your pet Cat? inside only or was it a dog? not tied up or on a leash..

ateteens
January 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
there were witnesses to the crime and the speedlimit in this private housing community is 20.keeping the cats from going outside would be mean i always let them out.

Lucky Rescue
January 30th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I"m sorry your cat died.

keeping the cats from going outside would be mean i always let them out.

And having them crushed under the wheels of a car isn't mean?

joeysmama
January 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I'm sorry for the loss of your cat. I have to ask. Do you suspect the driver was a teenager or is your screen name a reaction to the article about the teenagers who set fire to the cat?

At any rate, I'm assuming you are over 12 and so, were once a teenager yourself. As the mother of two young adults who were incredible teenagers, I might suggest that your screen name paints with a broad brush.

I happen to LOVE teens. I loved the teen years when my kids were going through them and I know a lot of wonderful kids that age. There are mentally ill people of every age. Please don't judge all teenagers by the acts of a few.

ateteens
January 30th, 2006, 05:48 PM
teenagers scare the hell out of me with there language and there hand signs.
yes it is the reason because of those psychos setting cats on fire.

ateteens
January 30th, 2006, 07:54 PM
i don't hate all teenagers just the ones who use guns to solve problems.

CyberKitten
January 30th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Wow!! I almost did not respond here because there are so many issues but there are some things I have to say. (You know me, such a shrinking violet, lol). I absolutely think all cats should be indoor but I still want to say how sorry I am to hear about Punky!!! I hate for it to be the lesson and think this is not the right time to be lectured to about that but I am sure now your next kitty will be an indor only cat. In the old days, people did allow cats outside but it has become a scary world for cats - it always was when you think about cars and bunchers and othere weird ppl but not all of us knew everything instantly and we all learn as we live.

I also think no one in their right mind would put a cat on a leash and just let him or her out there. I take mine for walks on a leash or in in the stroller tho of course they prefer to walk and investigate. Siince it is now winter of course, none of them care to go outdoors so that's OK - unless it ts to the car and to somewhere else warm (but not the vet, lol)

Keeping an animal on a chain a cruel thing to do!! (I forget who said that but they were lecturing about outdoors cat and suggested it as an altermative and I thought with all due respect that one would never chain a cat or a dog and just leave them, out there - that almost worst - how do they defend themselves!! You have to go outside with your cat or dog - that is the only way!

And really, could you change your screen name I hate teenagers - it borders on hate. Most teens are great kids. Would you say I hate all people as a screen name - either you need help coping with teenagers or one hurt you but that is not the fault of every teen in the country - or the world which this Board reaches. (I am not a treen but I have many as patients and while yes, they have issues, so do we all - none of us is perfect and we were all teens at some point in our lives.) I actually promised myself as a teen that I would remember that when I became an adult (so called, lol) and treat teens with respect and you know, if you do treat others with respect, they will treat you with respect as well.

I think Ms or Mr. Moderater that the name I hate anyone should not be permitted, and even as a proponent of free speech, I do not understand why anyone would put the word "hate" in your nickname. I am sorry you have su cch anger toward the world, It seems sad! I hope you are abke to move beyond it somehow!

joeysmama
January 30th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Cyber Kitten, thank you for what you said about the screen name. I had debated contacting a moderator this afternoon. Since I'm pretty new here, I didn't want to be seen as a complainer, since it would be my first time contacting them on anything.

But I have to say that I am offended by the name. You wouldn't put any other group where it says teens and not worry about it being offensive, you know?

Again, sorry about the cat. It really is very very sad.

But the name is disturbing to me.

ateteens
January 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM
sorry but the screen name does not get changed yep i do have freedom of speech but like i said i do not hate all teens just the ones with the guns.i hate spiders so its my choice sorry.

mona_b
January 30th, 2006, 11:51 PM
And having them crushed under the wheels of a car isn't mean?

Exactly.

I too am sorry for the loss of your cat..But sorry to say, I am more sorry for your cat...:( :sad:

I have a teenager...And I am offended by your screen name also.

sorry but the screen name does not get changed

Wanna bet????.........:D

joeysmama
January 31st, 2006, 12:31 AM
Wanna bet????.........

Mona, I'm new here but can I say that I just love you for that ???:)

aude_sapere
January 31st, 2006, 01:59 AM
there were witnesses to the crime and the speedlimit in this private housing community is 20.keeping the cats from going outside would be mean i always let them out.

I disagree with you. In my opinion keeping cats from going outside is not mean. My cats do not go outside; they have free run of my home. I don't see them pining for the great outdoors.

a_s

divinecalamity
January 31st, 2006, 03:34 AM
I think the main point of this is that this poor kitty died..hind sight is 20/20...so we shouldn't debate what was done wrong or right...I am sorry for the loss of your kitty.
The screen name is just a name...yes offensive to some..maybe it should be changed to gunssuck...or something....
Sorry for you loss:pawprint:

and just from experience sometimes no matter how hard you try to keep your kitty inside...she is determined and gets out....silly kitty

jesse's mommy
January 31st, 2006, 06:30 AM
Well said CK. I definitely don't think the name is appropriate. I think it's more disrespectful than anything to those who have teens or are teens. There is no reason to classify an entire group into one line -- I think it's very bigoted to do that. This is a forum about saving and preserving animals, not about spreading hate. I really think the OP should consider that and not spread hate and distaste here. I feel really bad that you lost your furbaby, but to spread these feelings while you are mourning isn't the right thing to do. You should be remembering the sweet times you had with your furbaby, not focusing your energy on your anger.

joeysmama
January 31st, 2006, 07:26 AM
Yes Jesse, this smacks of bigotry.

sorry but the screen name does not get changed yep i do have freedom of speech but like i said i do not hate all teens just the ones with the guns.i hate spiders so its my choice sorry.

Spiders are not protected members of society. TEENAGERS ARE ! A screen name of "ihategays" or "ihatechristians" or anything of that nature would be more obvious, but this really isn't any different in my opinion.

And I can tell you, with authority, that writing those phrases in a public place crosses the line from free speech to hate crime. A grayer area here, to be sure, but this IS a public forum.

I'm not accusing you of a hate crime, just saying that in a community such as this, where everyone is donating their time to help one another, and make life safer and happier for the four legged creatures, wouldn't you want to help maintain the sense of harmony that exists here?

joeysmama
January 31st, 2006, 07:34 AM
This is my last time posting on this thread but I had a comment about putting the cats outside on a leash. My neighbor does this occasionally but she said that she checks on him periodically. He's got a very long leash and loves the outdoors so she thought she was being kind. One day she saw a large hawk(buzzard? something) circling her cat. Another friend of ours puts her two cats in the yard. They stick close to home only wandering to the neighbors and back so she thought it was safe until the day she saw the cat lying on his back with a fox sitting about 20 feet away while another circled it from 5 feet, ready to pounce. Poor kitty thought they were playing with him and he was all kinds of happy !!

So sometimes pets are in danger even when we think that all is fine.

My neighbor 2 doors up has two beautiful cats who do not go out of the house--ever--unless she has them on a leash and SHE IS HOLDING THE OTHER END. I feel that this is the safest, and kindest thing for the cats.

Cats will slip out though won't they? My brother has notes on every door to mind the cats and is very very careful but their little Nanda slipped out anyway and was gone for 3 days. I guess what I'm saying is, even though things happen, with diligence, we can minimize the chances of accidents.

CyberKitten
January 31st, 2006, 08:21 AM
It is really unsafe for cats to free roam outdoors. And it is unkind to let them do so - unless they are feral and live in a cared for colony and there is little hope of socializing them somehow or other. Most domestioc cats MUST live indoors. Anyone who lets their cats roam outside is almost inviting trouble. That does not lessen the tragedy here of the lost cat but if you are going to continue to do that, you will not be allowed a cat from a shelter or a credible breeder which leaves only illicit breeders and those ubiquitoyus pet stores. (shudder).

I do wish you would change your screen name without anyone here having to lodge a complaint. If you said I hate Jews or I hate Women or I hate Maritimers, it is the same thing and in some places, the phrase you have uttered is against the law - and undoutedly, this Board reaches one of those areas. (It is actually against the law in two provinces of Canada - I checked with two lawyers in human rights and in the rest, while not specfiically against the law, it is against the Human Rights code in every province.) This is not about free speech - but about spreading hatred which your name by its very presence does. I can now not show this Board to my patiemts who are teens (which I often do - to show them pictures of cats or something funny someone may have said). So, you are in essense restricting this Board and if I were operating it, I would be less than happy about that. I am personally not ready to lodge a complaint because I like the place too much to ever get it into trouble but just hope the mods take note. Both you and the publication (offline or online) is liable to the laws that govern hatred. Mona may know about this than I since her work may have brought her into involvement with it. But what you are doing constitutes age discrimination and in New Brunswick (among oher provinces) at least, that is against the law. So - please save us all some trouble and find a name that portrays what you are concerned about in a positive way. I mean - environmentalists do not say I hate polluters. They say they want to improve the environment or some other POSITIVE message. You could call yourself Punky to honour your cat - you do not know exactly how she died unless the teen is convicted and that has not occured. And even if it did, it relates in no way at all to teenagers - some of whom do not even drive! And most of home love animnals. (It is my experience that few teens dislike animals and the ones who do hae serious problems that usually lead to even more... but that;s anothetr subject). If I were in your position, I would speak to that teen's school and talk about animals and driving and do something that would actually change things, Carrying around this hatred solves nothing and I am sure Punky - being a feline - up in Rainbow Bridge - would be not too thrilled with it and would be rooting for you to do something positive and helful in her name. (His- I do not see Punky's gender anywhere ) Have you considered doing a memorial page to Punky? Talking about all the wonderful times and experiences the two of you shared.

How many teens do you actually know? Surely, you cannot be angry at them for what happened to Punky? If you are, I would suggest asking your family doctor for a referral for groef couselling because this "hate" stuff will ultimately just get you into trouble - emotional and maybe legal. So please take heed and take care!! I love Punky would go much further in memorializing your pet than "I hate teens".

I hope this will be my last comment on the matter. I do really wish you well and hope you learn to cope with your grief. I know it is hard - I still mourn pets I have lost. But I talked to people about my feelings and while it still hurts, thay are part of my happy memories and I can talk about them and how wonderful they made my life! That is the direction you need to take or else you will just make yourself more upset and angry than you already are and that is not helpful!

Take care!

mona_b
January 31st, 2006, 08:41 AM
Mona, I'm new here but can I say that I just love you for that ???:)

AWWWWWWW thank you joeysmama...(sniffle sniffle)

In quite a few places it is ilegal to let your cat roam.

A friend of mine moved to Hanover.Well there if your cat is found roaming,even on a neighbors property,the cat will be picked up by the HS and you WILL be fined...So she made a run for Tootie.A small version of a dog run.This way when my friend is outside(in the nice weather)Tootie is in her run enjoying the sun and nice weather.She had also told me that they also trap the roaming cats.

chico2
January 31st, 2006, 09:03 AM
I am sorry for your loss and it seems you feel a need to blame someone,we usually all do when we lose a pet,but mostly we blame ourselves:sad:
I did not read the report about the cat set on fire,but although I would probably beat the crap out of anyone(teens or not!)who commit such a horrific act and hate them for it,but hate them for their deed,not because they were teenagers.
Also,it's an oldfashioned,wrong and very risky notion that cats need to roam,I would no more leave my cats to all the dangers out there,than I would my dog or my 1yr old,if I had one.

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 12:18 PM
Wasn't that report also at least 2 years old?

CyberKitten
January 31st, 2006, 03:27 PM
What report Prin? I am lost - tho I know I said my last comment was the aforementioned. The forum was started yesterday at 12: something according to the time so this is a new debate. What is the report you refer to? I have seen four seperate cases of cats set on fire, one horrible one in Fla in which the kitty survived and is doing well, the sad tale (pun intended) of Dunkin who was grabbed by someone who saw some people placing this tiny wee kitten on a bbq (ughhhhh - sorry to have to raise that graphic), and 2 others more recently but I could not recall exactly the date - sometime in the past year. A look at the Pet Abuse database which I have not looked at for awhile (I see enough at work to read about it but then we do need to know what is happening so we can work to change the laws regarding animal abuse.) There was a Mama of the Year who saved her kittens from a burning building but I think sadly, they had to be pts later because there was just too much smoke and soot damage to their lungs - poor babies - but mother cats can teach some human moms some great lessons in motherhood - and even in how to get the kids to leave the nest, lol See my thread on rnat about Co worker;s son.

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 03:45 PM
teenagers scare the hell out of me with there language and there hand signs.
yes it is the reason because of those psychos setting cats on fire.
This comment CK, I think was referring to this old thread:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=957

ateteens
January 31st, 2006, 04:15 PM
i do not live in canada and here nash is free to go outside.

happycats
January 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM
OMG the name went from ihateteens to ateteens!!!:eek:
I think its better to hate them, then to eat them??!!:D

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 04:34 PM
i do not live in canada and here nash is free to go outside.
In Canada, cats are free to roam too, but a lot of people keep them indoors because it's much safer. The life expectancy of an outdoor cat is a lot shorter than an indoor cat.

ateteens
February 12th, 2006, 05:25 PM
in the usa i have free speech and freedom of choice and my cat nash is outside right now in the warm weather.

ateteens
February 12th, 2006, 05:26 PM
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: free speech canada

Prin
February 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM
We're free to choose here too, but we choose to keep our cats safe.

chico2
February 12th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Lets just hope Nash is not also going to be found flattened under the wheel of a car:sad:

jesse's mommy
February 12th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I live in the USA and I choose to give my pets love and do everything I can to keep them SAFE! I'm sorry if you don't care enough for the wellbeing of your pet then go and blame the world when something happens to them, but don't come onto this board with intentions to provoke an altercation. The members of this board work together for the wellbeing of their pets and those who can't protect themselves. It's really a shame that you can't see this and don't have your priorities in line.

jesse's mommy
February 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM
:troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:

Prin
February 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: free speech canadaI don't think either of our countries allow for speaking hate in open forums.

Lucky Rescue
February 12th, 2006, 05:39 PM
my cat nash is outside right now in the warm weather.

Yes I 'm sure he'll enjoy it until he gets run over too - or poisoned or attacked by a dog, or stolen, or hurt by mean people. Then what? Get yet another cat? Cats are not like batteries. You can't just keep replacing them. You need to learn to be responsible. Wasn't one dead cat enough for you?

in the usa i have free speech and freedom of choice

Duh! Gee and here I thought we had freedom of speech in Canada too. Guess not...

Stop saying ignorant things and maybe people won't have to keep correcting you.

joeysmama
February 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Some people just love an argument.

I don't know why anyone would try to provoke a community which exists for the purpose of supporting one another and making life better for some defenseless animals.

And I really don't know what being negligent to one's pets has to do with free speech--which exists in the usa and canada--for pete's sake !! To read the OP's posts one would think there was a cold war between our countries. :rolleyes:

:ca: :grouphug: :usa:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 12th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I used to have a cat before I met my hubby and I let it outside all the time. Thinking too that cats should have freedom to roam. She would usually go out for less than five minutes than come right back in. One night my husband (then fiance were actually planning on moving from our rental house in a few days) My husband let her out for her usual 5 minute outing at the time he let her out I just got a sinking in my stomach as soon as he did that. After that we never saw her again - we looked for like six months and never saw her again. If I ever get another cat it will be an indoor cat.

Prin
February 12th, 2006, 08:42 PM
How come only the most irresponsible dog owners would let their dogs roam the neighborhood unwatched, but cat owners do it and expect their cats to somehow be safer than a dog would be.:confused: They also expect the neighborhood to accept the cats all over.:rolleyes:

cpietra16
February 12th, 2006, 09:01 PM
This whole thread sounds like its come to a dead end. No one seems to change this persons mind. People can get emotional when someone does something stupid and blames the whole "group". Its unfortunate that there is so much hate, however I feel that this person is dead set against teens and nothing that has been said will make a difference.
I just hope that Nash will stay away from cars..:fingerscr.
I always had cats that were indoor /outdoor...but that was in the country where cars were very rare....now that I moved to the city they're always indoors. They are not happy and maybe I'm selfish, but at I don't want to scrape my cat off the street. I think they understand and when they do get to the bridge....they could stay out all they want:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 12th, 2006, 10:30 PM
It doesnt make sense that you would let Punky out and have him hit by a car then still let your other cat out knowing the same thing could happen all over again. I've seen a few dead cats on my walks with Joey its just really sad, a couple of times they have ran in front of my car when I am driving and I've had to swerve to miss them. Cats outside are just a bad idea - they can get sick - get hit by cars its not always the drivers fault either -

Prin
February 12th, 2006, 11:13 PM
They can get hurt other ways too. We had one at the vet clinic I worked at that came in with a broken hip after being kicked by an annoyed neighbor. And my boyfriend's friend's cat came home with a crushed skull, and they don't have a clue who or what did it.:(

Schwinn
February 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: free speech canada

We have free speech here, which is why we let you say whatever you want no matter how stupid it makes you look, unless it can be construed as discriminatory.

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Awesome pic, Schwinn..:highfive:

ateteens
February 24th, 2006, 01:16 AM
It doesnt make sense that you would let Punky out and have him hit by a car then still let your other cat out knowing the same thing could happen all over again. I've seen a few dead cats on my walks with Joey its just really sad, a couple of times they have ran in front of my car when I am driving and I've had to swerve to miss them. Cats outside are just a bad idea - they can get sick - get hit by cars its not always the drivers fault either -

ya ya ya whatever

ateteens
February 24th, 2006, 01:17 AM

i live in the country no monsters no mean neighbors just trees leave me alone

Prin
February 24th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Good comeback.

joeysmama
February 24th, 2006, 09:00 AM
So punky was hit by a teenager driving a TREE ???

jawert1
February 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Perhaps its time to close this thread and stop giving this individual an audience.

Prin
February 24th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Yep... But then again, it's kinda fun. What will s/he think of next? :crazy: :troll:

joeysmama
February 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I stopped being offended and am now rather amused. I worry about the poor kitty though.

And I wanted to point out that I know of two people who ran over their own cats in their own driveways. It doesn't take a lot of traffic. The cat can scamper under the wheels pretty quickly. That's why they need us to protect them. Just like kids.

Rick C
February 24th, 2006, 04:15 PM
We've lived in the country 7.5 years now and our neighbours are on cats four and five in that time frame.

Coyotes. Badgers. And they ran over Gretz, the subject of the story link below:

http://www.goldentales.ca/gretz.htm

I just wish they'd keep their cats indoors like we do. They're safer for sure.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

chico2
February 24th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Oh Rick,that is soo sad,he seemed to really enjoy life and your dogs:sad:
I love my cats,I would NEVER let them out on their own.
I wish all people would cherish these little lives the way we do:love:

Frenchy
February 24th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Joeysmama;So punky was hit by a teenager driving a tree ... that was screaming ;free speech,free speech.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 24th, 2006, 09:14 PM
ya ya ya whatever

it was in the country where I saw the dead cat - there is roads in the country too

live in the country no monsters no mean neighbors just trees leave me alone

sure no problem you dont really seem to get it anyways. I feel sorry for your cat you still have.

Prin
February 24th, 2006, 09:15 PM
JECM, don't get offended. He probably doesn't even have a cat and probably never did.;)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 24th, 2006, 09:18 PM
sorry I guess quitting smoking is getting me a bit testy. :D

Prin
February 24th, 2006, 09:20 PM
You're a woman. How can you be teste? Ohhhh... TestY.:o :D

ateteens
February 24th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Good and don't comeback.

and don't come back and don't come back stupid canadians

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 24th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Ateteens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Good and don't comeback.

Prin never said this you changed the words from one of her threads what she actually said was good comeback

and don't come back and don't come back stupid canadians

just a reminder if you abuse the rules and are rude to other members here, you may not be coming back.

Originally posted by Marko in the introduction thread.
All posts are to be responded to in a polite manner. Please EDUCATE or IGNORE posters that you don't agree with. Respond with kindness or do not respond at all. Rudeness from newer or older members will not be tolerated and may result in the member being removed without warning.

Prin
February 25th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Misquoting? How is that going to get you respect? People can read you know.:troll:

Tigger
February 25th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Coming in with a large broom now to sweep up the mess all this garbage has left. Heavens, what a pig stye..