Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Playing Tug. Good or bad?

Scott_B
January 29th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Hi all. Im wondering, is playing tug with a pup a good idea? Ive read that it should not be done as it teaches aggression. Ive also read that if you do, then you never let the dog win.

Im looking to get a dog in the near future so im curious about this. Thanks all. :thumbs up

Prin
January 29th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I think it's not bad as long as you can stop the game anytime you want. You shouldn't let your dog win all the time or the doggy can develop an attitude. The alpha ends up with the toy- and you don't want your dog to be alpha.

xixvnajlavxix
January 29th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Tug can be very confusing for a dog, especially if it knows the command "Drop" or "Give". While playing, you should let the dog win, but not always, but always end the game with the command "Give" or "Drop" and put up the toy where the dog can't get it so they understand that play times over.

NaNa8
January 29th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Prin: would that mean that you should stop most games to keep them from believing they own the game ? Does this also go in line with not allowing them the majority of toys that we have aquired ? It seems that most of time toys are strewn all over the place. Our dog Laci brings us one when she wants to play with us.

JoAnne

tenderfoot
January 29th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Teaching 'drop' and 'take it' are essential for games. The game is in the playing not the winning. The person should win most of the time and the person should ideally initiate and end the games. Otherwise you are playing by the dogs rules and thats when things get out of balance.

Prin
January 29th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Prin: would that mean that you should stop most games to keep them from believing they own the game ? Does this also go in line with not allowing them the majority of toys that we have aquired ? It seems that most of time toys are strewn all over the place. Our dog Laci brings us one when she wants to play with us.

JoAnne
Let me put it this way: at the end of each play session, you should have won most of the games and you should have the toy in your hands, preferably because you ended the game and got the dog to drop the toy. They have to know that at the end of the day, you're in control.

As for toys strewn about, I don't really think that's an issue. But if you want one of them, the dog should give it to you willingly.

Scott_B
January 30th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks all for the advice!

BernerLver
January 30th, 2006, 10:56 AM
My husband and I play tug with Bailey all the time. He loves it and really gets into it growling etc. But the second we tell him to "drop it", he does and will sit and wait for us to tell him to "take it".

We have alwasya done this with him since he was a puppy and never had any problems. He knows who the bosses are :D

divinecalamity
February 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM
I was reading that you should have a specific toy for tug that you get when you want to play..demonstrating that you are in control in the "good" stuff. As with what has been previously stated, that you should win most of the games and you should win the last one and put the toy away. I also read that you should have a specific area on the tug toy that your pup should not pass and that if they do the game ends momentarily with an "oops", then you begin it again after the pup calms down. I also read that it is best to wait until your pup is older to play tug of war with it, i believe this was for "leader of the pack" reasons. have fun with your future pup :pawprint:

katieandclayton
February 2nd, 2006, 04:53 PM
I think tug is a good thing, especially for those dogs who do not yet fetch. It's fun for both of you and it's exercise. It doesn't matter who wins as long as your dog knows when enough is enough. I spoke with a trainer about year ago when my boy Sam was a pup and she told me that a game of tug is healthy, but not to play with anything that smells like you (your socks or old towels) because that will encourage them to chew on other things that have your scent. Play tug lots, it will also help them learn to "drop it" and when it is okay to be rough and when not not to.