Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Come command?

Misty'sMom
January 28th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I was just wondering how the most effective way to train my 11 month old puppy the come command. She seems to do it only when she feels like it. I am to blame as well as her. The biggest problem I have with her is when we are outside. She likes to go her own way (She's always on leash when outside) I just want to get her used to the come command. When we are inside I rarely have to use the come command because as soon as I move, she's usually right behind me underfoot. This is my first dog, so I lack the training skills I'm sure most of you have. Please help me. Thanks

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 29th, 2006, 06:57 AM
I know how you feel, Joey obeys all his commands inside. come, heel, down, stay. I can even put him at the end of the get him to come a few feet, then get him to do a down, come a few feet sit, come a few more feet then I call him to me.

But if we are in the dog park (which I dont really take him to often he will come to me maybe 80% of the time, which is part of the reason why I don't take him there often. If he sees a bird or a cat he basically takes off.

shannon1233A
January 29th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I can only relate what worked for me. First of utmost importance is consistancy and making it fun and rewarding. When training Shannon and Kenzie I started by not leaving the driveway and with them on a retractable leash. I let some of the leash out, then using their name, with the come command and using bait, something they loved such as Rollover. It went like this "Shannon come" showing the piece of bait, and as soon as they came to me, gave the sit hand signal and rewarded. I'd then say okay (a release), go play, let the leash out again, then repeat the process. I'd always let out more and more of the retractable leash (50 foot retractable leash) and do the exercise over and over, always praising big time when they came. If they didn't come, I'd reel them in, but keep in mind to only give the command once, great deal of praise when they responded positively and little steps at a time. Now, they come on command even off leash (guess they don't realize there isn't a long line always ready to reel 'em in :evil:

Edited to add: It's really important to ALWAYS make it a fun and rewarding command, and a GREAT experience for doggy to come to you when called. NEVER reprimand for anything on a come command (eg. Doggy pees, and you call him to come to show him what he's done and give him chit, or even to repremand for not comming, but be encouraging, and always make it a positive experience to come to you when called, never call your doggy to come to punish him for something he's done. The come command should be something the dog hears and thinks, Oh, she's calling me to come, and that means something REALLY GOOD is waiting there for me...here I go, I'm on my way! :) You can slowly replace any treat gradually with lots of praise, hugs and kisses.

tenderfoot
January 29th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Coming to you is about respecting your word - it is not a game. Come is the most important instruction there is as it can save his life. It can take minutes to teach but longer (not months) to practice and reinforce.
Every time you ask him to come and he doesn't he is challenging you. Are you going to make me come? So, because he is in the habit of making it a game and blowing you off - he goes back on the leash until he shows us he can be trusted. The leash is your tool to empower your words.
Here is our version of the come.
Come = come straight to you, sit in front of you and look you in the eyes waiting for the next direction.
You start with the dog in the house on a 6 foot leash. You call him to 'come' in a super happy tone (the party is over here - attitude), if he ignores you say 'no' in a firm, sharp tone, give a leash correction and when he looks at you get happy again and invite him in. You might have to correct his bad choice a few times before he decides to cooperate. He should happily come to you as you vacuum him in with your happy and loving tone.
If he veers from any of this - you continue facing him and back away with a sharp (not loud) "NO" and a slight leash correction. He should look at you and then you get super happy and ask for the 'come' again in a very happy tone. The idea is that you pressure him for making the wrong choice - not coming or veering off - and reward him for any effort in the right direction. Even if his eyes leave you (if his eyes are not on you neither is his brain), then you correct him, but the very second he is looking at you again you have to get happy. You are telling him that the best place to be is with you and any other choice will be pressured. You might even interrupt yourself as you change from correction to reward and correction and reward again. You have to be able to respond as quickly as he changes his mind. When he is sitting in front of you and looking in your eyes then you can release him with lots of enthusiasm. ALL of this is done on the leash to empower your word - but as soon as he is sensitive enough to respond to just your word then you are starting to get off leash - which can happen in minutes not days.
Each step in the teaching of any cooperative action must be done in successful sequences. From a good 'come', move onto the 'come' with distractions - introduce a toy. Put him into a sit-stay and toss the toy a few feet away. Release him to it and call him back. Using the pressure and release methods to advise him on his decisions. As you are successful, put him on a longer leash and throw the toy further away. Help him to understand that the toy is part of the fun, but that his playing "keep away" will stop the fun and cause you to pressure his poor choices. Now move outside with this game, and begin again with shorter distances working towards longer distances as he earns them.

phoenix
January 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM
This is all excellent advice!!
My dog Sam has AMAZING recall. He will come directly out of play with another dog, from a fleeing squirrel, and from really long distances at my dad's farm. We pretty much worked with him exactly as has been already described. I will stress two things: 1- the party is around you! (I liked that term, it's exactly the atmosphere you want to create- never mad!) and 2- Call your dog to you lots- give a treat and then let him go back to playing... releasing back to the 'fun' so that coming doesn't mean leaving all of the time.
Good luck!
Oh, one more thing- never chase him. Actually, I do the opposite- I walk away from him. He always wants to follow me and find out where I'm going!

Misty'sMom
January 30th, 2006, 08:54 PM
This all sounds wonderful. I will definately be trying these tips with Misty. I'm sure she will be "coming' to me very soon. She has a tendency to only listen when she wants, so hopefully, she'll learn I"m the boss and she's the lower rung. Thanks a million guys....