Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

comforters and bedding

raingirl
January 28th, 2006, 08:44 PM
with my other post about Odin in bed...got me thinking about bedding.

I really suck at buying bedding. I always find it too expensive, and buy the cheap stuff. I never have enough money to buy more than 2 sets, and then they wear our real quick.

I bought some nice ones with an embroidered red stripe on the flat sheet, and when I washed it the first time it ran all over the white, and it the stitching shrunk in the dryer, so now the top is all bunched up.

My comforter is supposedly queen size, but it is only covers the top of our bed, and maybe an inch or two bigger on the bottom and sides. Are all queen size ones that bad? Should I buy a king size one?

Where do you buy bed skirts by themselves? (I'm sick of looking at my box spring).

Are "beds in a bag" a good idea, with all the sheets, pillow cases, bed skirt, and conforter all matching? Are they cheaply made or are they good?

Inverness
January 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Hehe, I'm not going to be of any help, cause all I feel like now is going to bed, all because of you ! :p

Gotta take the dogs out first... :pawprint:

jesse's mommy
January 28th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I always get the bed in the bag. As for the quality, it depends on how much you spend. You can get a good quality one for a good chunk of money. Me, I usually get the mid to low priced ones because I like to change the look about once a year -- I know it's bad, but I like to freshen things up. It can get expensive so I like to keep it on the low side if possible, but I do splurge on occassion and no matter how many different sets I get, I'll have extra sheets and won't have to do as much laundry!!

As for Bedskirts, I would think almost any store would sell it from Linens and Things to Sears to JC Penney's to Bed Bath and Beyond. I think you just need to find what catches your eye best!

raingirl
January 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Wow. I checked all the big stores here (Sears, The bay, Linens n'things, bed and bath, home outfitters) and NONE sell bed skirts. The sales people always tell me that they only come in pre-made "sets" like the bed in a bag things. The Bay used to sell them with their ToGo line, but not anymore.

jesse's mommy
January 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Do you think they might sell them in the store, but not list them on the website?

raingirl
January 28th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I've checked instore. They just don't sell those things here (don't know why).

mummummum
January 28th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Finally ! A topic I DO know something about - SHOPPING ! I'm not sure where you are in Canada but, if you can find a Winners you can buy bedskirts, flat and fitted sheets galore and all separately. As for quality and price it's all about threadcount and material blends. I do not recommend anything less than 250 or they will pill and fade within a few washings. I generally like mine around 400 and when I'm feeling very LUXE, I bring out the 650's. I have a king bed and find my king duvet the perfect size but, perhaps you should measure the top and sides of your mattress and take the dimensions with you when you go shopping. You may find using a poly-cotton duvet and duvet covers a little easier as the duvet cover can be popped in the washer when needed rather than hauling the whole kit and kaboodle to the laundromat (sp?). If you live in Ontario, check the Shopping on A Shoe String Guide website (or the Toronto Star shopping and weekend Life section) for their annual and warehouse sales. Ooops sorry, I do go on so. I have shopping issues. And shoe issues. And bedding issues. And...:crazy:

raingirl
January 28th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I checked winners as well (several) and never seen bed skirts. I have been looking for a bed skirt for more than 5 years... every time I got into a store that sells that stuff I will casually look and see if they have any. Only once did I ever see one, that was last year, and it was the last one (twin) for the ToGo line, which was discontinued at the Bay.

mummummum
January 28th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Hmmm...that doesn't sound right, cuz I keep finding them and can't use them ! (I have a waterbed). If you are in Toronto or come to The Big Smoke PM me, I have at elast two you can have - one not even outta the wrapper, one I might have had on a bed once.

catsnatcher-CDN
January 28th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I agree with mummum I worked at the bay (linen and kitchen) through university...

look for anything above 300 thread count. The higher the thread count, the better the quality. Togo brand is a bay brand and is exclusive to the bay.

Bed in a bag is cheaper and worth the cost if the thread count of the sheets are over 300. I would recommedn you buy the bed in a Bag from the Bay since you can return the sheets if after one wash it loses its quality.

The recommended amount of sheet sets to own is 3. ( 1 on the bed, 1 in the closet, 1 in the laundry).

....that's all I remember.

Some of the sheets I bought from Winners turned out to be a magnet for pet hair.

jawert1
January 28th, 2006, 10:56 PM
If you've got a Target or Super Target nearby, you've got bedskirts :) I got mine there and minus some alterations I needed to make due to my bed being ancient, it fits great. Also I've gotten sheets from Ikea and overstock.com (sorry if I'm breaking the rules on that one with the addy) that have worked out really well. I hate spending a fortune on bedding but have managed between those 3 to keep myself always in sheets no matter what's in the wash.

shannonRN
January 28th, 2006, 10:56 PM
As for comforters and such, they're marked as queen, king, etc but usually on the packaging they will also specify the actual dimensions of the piece. I'd measure what you already have, then compare it against the specified dimensions when you're shopping. Queens are particularly bad for not enough of an allowance at the sides, and sharing a bed with another human and a dog only enhances this, so you might have to go king sized.

As an owner of a king bed and 4 pets--I can't speak highly enough of purchasing a duvet cover. Washing king sized blankets is a chore and a trip to the laundromat; being able to remove the cover and wash the equivalent of a set of sheets in my own washer is priceless.

I just bought a bed skirt at Target, but it seems like every dept store under the sun sells them separately.

chico2
January 29th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I too have a King Size bed(converted water-bed)lots of room for 3 cats,hubby and me.
I would never again go back to comforters,duvets are great..I buy my duvets covers from IKEA,great prices and selection.
I would suggest you get a King Size duvet,it will cover the sides of your queen bed,no need for a bed-skirt.
We had a very expensive down duvet,tooo darn hot,so we replaced it with a cheap thinner synthetic one(IKEA)and it's great..

SnowDancer
January 29th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Every time I go to The Bay and start looking at the sale sheets ALL I see are bedskirts. Last thing I want with my Eskie. As far as buyng sheets/comforters etc. we have gone through a lot as El loves to chew and destuff. He doesn't do it during night - he needs his sleep, but during the day is a different matter. Just watch the sales - I have bought sheets regularly priced at $150 for $30. I never pay regular. I get really good deals at a bedding shop at Bayview and Eglinton in Toronto - right across from the vet's and groomer's - so drop off El and then go restock. But I can tell you I have paid less for a comforter and sheet sets for a Queen bed than the cost of a Bed in the Bag.

Prin
January 29th, 2006, 01:08 PM
There's no Linen Chest out where you are? Linen chest has the upscale sheets and stuff and most come with a lifetime guarantee. My grandmother brought her sheets back at least 5 years after buying them because they faded too much and she was given a store credit... But then, she was a fighter...

I'd rather buy 2 fitted sheets and put one on the box spring. I find bed skirts collect dust more than anything else...

And the duvet- definitely get king sized. We have a queen ralph lauren duvet (machine washable!) but it's way too small. With the weight of a dog on top, there isn't enough blanket left for the rest of us.

We got a heavy cotton duvet cover at Ikea. Not even the fur gets through it. I wash it once a week or when the saliva stains (from the doggies of course) get too noticeable. It was only $40.

For sheets, I buy costco sheets. We have 2 Jersey cotton sets and one flannel set from there. The jersey ones are so soft and they were only $20 (I don't know if they still have them or not though...). They do pill, but at $20, you just get rid of them and buy new ones...:D We also have fancy satin sheets, which are supposed to be cold in hot weather and hot in cold weather, but after 2 nights, you really get a sore neck because the pillows slide away all the time.:D

Another suggestion: DEEP POCKETS! Make sure you get the ones that say it. I hate the ones that don't even fit under the mattress. What a waste of time.:rolleyes:

Bearsmom
January 29th, 2006, 05:21 PM
raingirl, I'm the QUEEN of bedding shopping, so here goes:

If you can get yourself to either Cookstown outlet mall, there's a Cambridge Bath and Bedding Store that sells fantastic bedding. I always make sure that my bedding is above a 300 thread count. They also sell bedskirts for fairly reasonable prices.

For duvet covers/comforter covers, I buy individual sheets and sew them together to make a duvet cover, much cheaper.

PM me if you need any further info.

Prin
January 29th, 2006, 05:46 PM
For duvet covers/comforter covers, I buy individual sheets and sew them together to make a duvet cover, much cheaper.
That way too, you can have one side one color to match one set of sheets and the other side to match the other sheets... Well, it would work for me anyway- I only get plain, one color sheets so they could never clash..:o

jawert1
January 29th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I've also discovered that Ikea duvet covers double nicely as futon covers too, since I believe in your other post you mentioned Odin has a futon. I have one on mine that cleans up very nicely and cost soooo little and I can swap out for the ones on my bed when I'm ready for a change :)

raingirl
January 29th, 2006, 08:56 PM
What a coinkidink!

My Bf's bro and SIL came over today, and I was telling her how I got a allergy cover for my matress and pillows recently for only $59. She asked me if my BF's parents gave us our belated birthday presents yet, and I had no idea what she was talking about.

She said about 2 weeks ago, the parents came over with her b-day present which was a new bedding set, and that they had one for us, and were going to drop it over. But they hadn't yet.

So, we went to the parents house for dinner tonight and guess what? We came home with a king size comforter, bedskirt, and pillow shams!

HOW WEIRD IS THAT??

The pattern is actually nice, and it's reversable, with two different ones on each side. Unfortunately they got them somewhere that was no returns, so we can't exchange the size (we have a queen). The bedskirt will need to be played with a bit to fit, but it shouldn't look that bad.

Now all I need are some more fitted and flat sheets and we are set.

jesse's mommy
January 29th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I've used a King Size bedskirt for a Queen Size bed and it worked just fine. I just pinched the middle of the bedskirt together and it was fine. I'm so happy for you that you got a new set!

jawert1
January 29th, 2006, 09:21 PM
hahah congrats raingirl, i feel this past week (and now moving into the current one) have been loaded with coincidences, glad to hear a nice one finally happened :)

Prin
January 29th, 2006, 09:36 PM
LOL Psychic raingirl! :) I'm glad you got a new set. Maybe we should talk about new anal glands for Odin now and see what happens...:D

mafiaprincess
January 30th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I bought my bedskirt from the sears catalouge by itself. I just kept looking till I found one I wanted, and a lot of them were buyable in seperate pieces.

Bushfire2000
January 30th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I bought my bedskirt from the sears catalouge by itself. I just kept looking till I found one I wanted, and a lot of them were buyable in seperate pieces.

This is just what I was going to say. sears catalog rocks. Cheap enough to buy two.

raingirl
January 30th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I know, talk about psychic-ness!

I was thinking...is there anything else I need that I can complain about and maybe end up getting it?

Oh course, now my sheets don't match! My sheets are white and red, and this thing is god with pink tones...I have ivory sheets for my old double bed, so that won't help.