Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cake Contest

raingirl
January 28th, 2006, 09:01 PM
My friend's mom just told me about a cake decorating contest in a few weeks. Only cost $5 to enter. Not sure of any other info (prizes or rules) and I've been debating whether to enter or not.

Anyone have any good "cake" ideas that I could do? It's for Feb 19. I can make most flowers out of gum paste or icing. I just need a theme or something...not to hard though!

jesse's mommy
January 28th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Is it decorating or taste? If it's taste I have a coconut cake recipe that people fall over for. I can't tell you how many times people have asked for this cake. It's a bit time consuming, but not hard.

raingirl
January 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I believe it's just decorating..but I am going to call the organizer and ask (among other things like the rules, maybe pics from last year to see what I'm up against).

It's at a church, so I don't anticipate I would be up against professionals.

I think I'm just worried because I'm good at copying cake ideas/pictures, but not coming up with my own....

jesse's mommy
January 28th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Watch those Church ladies and their sweets -- they can be vicious. My grandmother is one of them!

raingirl
January 28th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I've considered doing something like this:

http://www.carolines.com.au/images/sugart_XmasTable.jpg

It's easy to make all the little "things" for the table, and then the cake becomes the table. I just make a sugar paste and make the items, let them dry, then paint them with food colour and power colour. Could be fun, but time consuming.

domesticzookeep
January 30th, 2006, 08:42 PM
OMG! That's a cake?!? Very cool....

Since it's Feb 19th - how about a Valentine's Day theme? Strawberries & dark chocolate? (Personally, I love using a raspberry desert wine sprinkled over white cake - before icing, of course) or dinner for two using the theme from above?

Or, since one day we might get snow - how about a 'winter wonderland' theme - white chocolate, and lots of light blue (blueberries?), icicles & maybe even some snowmen?

Good luck & post a pic when you've created the masterpiece,

C.

joeysmama
January 31st, 2006, 09:42 AM
That's amazing !!! I thought it was a cake covered with miniature items. I can't believe you actually MADE those !!

I'm very impressed !

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
There was one on the internet somewhere that was a ski hill... That was cool. With trees and a chair lift and skiers...

joeysmama
January 31st, 2006, 03:25 PM
I made a cake recently and the top layer didn't slide off the bottom. I was pleased.:o

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 03:39 PM
LOL Joeysmama, you have to put a fork in the middle and then it'll stay up. That's what I do. Usually that happens because the cake was still slightly, barely warm... So they say. I say it just happens so that I can't bring a cake to a party without losing a fork.

Bushfire2000
January 31st, 2006, 04:53 PM
Oh my goodness what a great cake. I'd love to see a valintines themed one.