Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Dogs are afraid of my Cat

xixvnajlavxix
January 28th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I have never seen anything like this before. At first, it was funny, most of my cats leave my dogs alone, and they get along just fine. In fact, Sammy did wonders for my senior cockapoo, Rusty, as she got Rusty to actually get up and play. With my new kitten though comes something my dogs really didn't understand- the drive of a kitten to play.
Poor Bruce (the kitten) wanders dog to dog, slowly too, and they will all get up and run away. My greyhound mix will actually cry at the sight of the kitten and get up on the couch no matter how many times we tell her no, and no matter how small of spot there is for her. Another one of her favorite things to do is get under the computer desk and getting entangled in the cords. This is beginning to get tiring.
What is most embarrassing is my Rotti. He has always been skittish about new things, but after many sessions of holding the kitten in the living room and showing him his new baby brother, he seemed all game to play with the kitten. But as soon as Bruce was on the floor with him, Kody runs over to me or any one in the room and tries to climb in our laps.
We've introduced Bruce slowly to our dogs, but this seems to be no help. After months of him living just in my room with him being brought out in the days with always watched visitation, this has seemed to be no help. Bruce has never been out of our site with the dogs, so we know he's never hurt the dogs, and they seem fine with other cats. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
Please give me your advice or point out if I've done something wrong. I'd really like it if Bruce could have full run of the house and fit in with his brothers and sisters of both dogs and cats. I'll appreciate any input. Thank you.

Lucky Rescue
January 28th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Dont' worry - my foster kittens terrorize my pit bull and have driven her off her bed and even under the table once!:p

YOu need to make good things happen for the dogs when the kitten is around. Kitten comes in the room, dog gets a treat and praise if he stays where he is and doesn't run off. My dog Chloe knows the word "pussycat", so I call the cats "Chloe's pussycats" to make good associations. I always praise her for being nice with the kitties.

Kittens are extremely annoying and have needle-like claws that no dog forgets if he's ever had one in the nose.

Once your dog learns that you will not allow too much harassment and that good things always happen for him when the kitten is around and he behaves, he should be more willing to stick around!:)

xixvnajlavxix
January 28th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Thank you very much for the advice. :) I will start doing this right away.

xixvnajlavxix
January 30th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Thank you VERY much for the information. As soon as I did as was suggested, Kody got over his fear of the kitten, and eventually they played with each other. It was a huge sucess. Annie is still a bit skittish, but the kitten really likes to chase her tail....we're working on that. Thank you!

Luvmypit
January 31st, 2006, 03:38 PM
Lucky Rescue to ... well the rescue... as usual!

Bravo !

chico2
January 31st, 2006, 04:12 PM
I am picturing this big Rottweiler being soo scared of an itty-bitty kitten he all of a sudden becomes a lap-dog:D
When it comes to introducing cats and dogs,Lucky is an expert:thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
January 31st, 2006, 04:35 PM
Haha, thanks, but I'm no expert on anything at all. I just must have harmony in my house or I'll lose it totally.:D

xixvnajlavxix
February 4th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Thank you so much for the help. My kitty and Rotti get along wonderful, and now we have taught Kody to leave the kitty alone when Bruce wants to sleep. I couldn't of dreamed of Kody and Bruce sleeping together before, let alone that I would have to remove the kitty away from the dogs when they eat because they move over to share food with him. XD
Thank you guys so much!