Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Litterbox replacement

Shamrock
January 28th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I am curious if you replace your litterboxes occassionallly... and if you do... how often?
I've had my 3 for ages - plastic lasts forever after all. I clean and disinfect them with bleach regularly (rinsed very well) and they appear fresh, dont smell or anything.. so I keep using them.

I recall reading that it was good to change them every so often... but I am not sure for the reason behind this?
Is the concern that the urine would be "absorbed' into the plastic, in spite of the disinfecting?:confused:

chico2
January 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I usually change mine when scratch marks start showing at the bottom.
I too clean them completely about every two weeks,when I change the litter.
A friend of mine,who has 5 cats,says he never changes the litter(clumping) but keeps adding to it.
I use the no-dust clumping litter,but I feel I have to change it and put new litter every 2 weeks,otherwise it would stink!
What do you do?

cpietra16
January 28th, 2006, 04:32 PM
That's a good question. I honestly never changed my liter boxes. i have one that has a cover. ~10 years old. Its the only one my cats go into although i just recently got a huge tupperware underbed storage type for all of them.It will be interesting to see what people say. All I know is that all my cats have used the 10 year old liter box and none of them ever had a problem or major illness from it.

chico2
January 28th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I use the larger Rubbermaid storageboxes(about 12inches high)and they seem to last longer,my cats don't really seem to care,if they are new or old,as long as there is litter in them:D

Shamrock
January 28th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Chico, I use the clumping wheat litter, and discard and replace it every ten days or two weeks - when I clean the boxes.
With a fresh box... I like to start will all fresh litter.