Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Apparently, I'm "pushy"

shannonRN
January 28th, 2006, 05:22 PM
We had dinner with some close friends at their home a while back. They have a whole bunch of dogs, and the oldest is about 5. I have known this dog since puppyhood. I have pics of her with Rommel when her whole body was the size of Rommel's head, LOL.

Anyhoo, this dog, a boxer, used to kind of annoy me. She was very high-strung, attention-seeking, would always paw at or jump on you if you ignored her, slobbered and "snuffled" all over you... A nice, friendly dog who really needed some training to get her under control a little.

This dog has always had allergy problems. I've seen her at her best and at her worst. She takes prednisone intermittently for flare ups and because of this, tends to be on the chubby side if anything. She eats Wellness fish & potato, so they've gotten things under control as much as they can with diet, and she hasn't needed prednisone in a while.

Well, we arrive at their house for dinner and this usually hyper dog is lethargic, moping around and is just skin & bones. Her ribs stand out and her pelvic bones are clearly visible. But the vibe of sadness that I got from her made me feel really awful. Something isn't right; this dog who used to weigh about 60lbs at a good weight now weighs maybe 50, soaking wet.

I asked about her, and they said she eats as much as their 90lb GSD and that she's just "matured" and settled down, personality-wise, and no, she hasn't seen the vet recently. I said no way, I think something is very wrong, that she's a totally different dog than she used to be and that I think they need to bring her to the vet ASAP.

The other day, I asked my husband if he's talked to them and have they taken Leia to the vet yet? His response: "I don't know, but I wanted to tell you I thought you were really pushy that night."

:mad:

Frenchy
January 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I don't think your pushy!!If a dog looses too much weight,too fast,there is a chance of a problem!And you said the dog was moping,yes,clearly something is not right.Some people need to be "pushed",so go ahead!

chico2
January 28th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I hear that all the time and no,you were not pushy,like me,you care more about the animals wellbeing than"being pushy",if the owners don't care they need a BIG push IMHO!

BernerLver
January 28th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Totally agree with the PP. IMO somtimes I think people need an outsider to notice somthing they they have overlooked because they live with it day-to-day.

It's worth being pushy if there is a potential serious health risk. I think you did the right thing :thumbs up

cpietra16
January 28th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I think Pushy is not the right word...concerned....worried....honestly questioning the situation ....but not pushy. Some people can't see a problem unless shown... And frankly I wouldn't care if they called me pushy...just get help for you puppy. He's your concern...

Lucky Rescue
January 28th, 2006, 06:38 PM
"Pushy"? Do they know, or care, that many boxers are literally cancer factories and that their dog could be dying?

At the very least she could have hyperthyroidism.

Do they think it's normal that a dog eats like a horse and loses weight?

I bet if one them were "skin and bones" they would go to a doctor.

No, you are NOT pushy. Someone has to speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves.

shannonRN
January 29th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Somehow I knew I could come here for the "right" point of view. (LOL)

I told Mark that I would agree that I was emphatic, but certainly not pushy, in the matter. I think they're just so used to her having health problems that it maybe just seems less significant to them. And there are definite family and personal issues distracting them.

LR, I didn't know that about boxers, but it was certainly the first thought that crossed my mind when I saw how she seemed to be wasting away. I did a google search for "boxer cancer" and there it is, all over the place..."The most significant concern regarding the boxer is the high rate of cancer compared to other breeds."

:sad: I hope she's alright. I'm gonna give them a friendly call tomorrow "Just to see what's up....Seen any good vets lately?"

badger
January 29th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Maybe, since they're so distracted by other 'issues', you could offer to take the dog in for them. Don't forget to mention that after extensive reading, you believe he could have cancer.

Prin
January 29th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Poor doggy. Definitely not pushy. Sometimes people seem offended but after they simmer down and absorb, they really do listen. (Sometimes).

You did good.:)

shannonRN
February 5th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Well, Lei-lei's seen the vet, and they said he was concerned, but the preliminary workup hasn't turned up anything significant. They are following up on things though.

Prin
February 5th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Yey! Thank goodness for once I was right.:o :highfive: Let's hope they follow through all the way.