Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any Dangers In Dog Eating Cat Food Or Cat Eating Dog Food

VIOLET0019
January 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Can I have some opinions on if there are any dangers if once in a while a cat may eat 1 - 2 tbsp. of canned dog food (i.e. Canidae lamb and rice), or of a dog eating cat food - canned or dry holistic types of food??
THANKS!:)

Lucky Rescue
January 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM
No, no harm if it's once in awhile.

As a steady diet it would be dangerous since dogfood hasn't got nearly protein for cats, and cat food has too much protein for dogs.

shannonRN
January 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM
The key words in your post are 'once in a while.' Cats and dogs have different nutritional needs, so they have different foods. I believe it is more dangerous for a cat to eat dog food than vice versa. If this happens once a week, it should not be an issue. But if your cat is replacing a significant portion of its diet with dog food, it could develop nutritional deficiencies, i.e. taurine, Vit A, and certain fatty acids. This can lead to heart disease, retinal degeneration, immune problems...

shannonRN
January 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM
LR, I was thinking that too about dog's protein needs, but more and more, dry foods are being developed for dogs that eliminate grains and minimize carbohydrate...i.e. Innova EVO, Solid Gold Barking at the Moon...and these have a profile that more closely resembles cat food in the distribution of protein and fat. However, even these dog foods lack the added taurine that cats need, so don't give them to kitty :)

Prin
January 28th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Yeah, those foods are a different story, IMO... Let's just say that I'll wait for this generation of doggies that is on it to grow old and see what the results are before I put my doggies on any of them. I still say no animal anywhere is 42% protein by mass.

Sorry for the hijack..

I don't think it's bad once in a while, but it could get expensive if your dog is always eating the cat's food... And you wouldn't be able to monitor their food intake either. You wouldn't be sure if something is wrong what exactly the cause is...