Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 6-month old puppy won't go to the bathroom when it's raining

pk's mom
January 28th, 2006, 10:46 AM
We've our 6-month old cocker spaniel for about 6 weeks now and gaining pretty good ground in the housebreaking arena. We live in Texas where it hasn't rained in so, so long but (praise God) it rained a tiny bit last week and then now it's been pouring all day. PK is not happy about the rain like we are! While he usually runs right outside to pee and poop, we're having to coax him outside and then he doesn't do anything. Instead, when he gets back inside he goes on the carpet (which I think can't be good for our housebreaking training) My husband thinks we just need to leave him out there long enough so that he gets used to the feel, smell, etc. of the rain and gets comfortable with it and 'does his thing'.
Any suggestions for this??

raingirl
January 28th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I think you will have to take him outside on a leash and stay with him until he goes, then praise him like crazy when he does. I know my dog hates the rain too. Maybe try putting an umbrella over him as he walks?

pk's mom
January 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I think you're right. I've thought of a reason why this might be so difficult for him though. We were just outside, and the rain has let up quite a bit, so he was on the leash with me and wandered around a lot before finally sniffing and finding a place (very close to his normal location) to pee. I think maybe the rain washes away the scents they're so familiar with and used to so they get all confused and can't find anywhere to go. Just a thought...