Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canadian Premium Dog Food Brands

rainbow
January 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know a website that compares premium dog food brands made by Canadian companies? I have only been able to find websites that compare brands made in the United States. Or does anyone have a list of Canadian premium dog food brands and then I can check out each company`s website. Thanks.:ca: :pawprint:

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Hmmm... It's hard to find Canadian foods. I think Pet Curean who makes Go Natural! is Canadian... Pet Curean (http://www.petcurean.com/)

Performatrin is Canadian too... Performatrin Ultra (http://www.performatrinultra.com/)

hmm... I can't think of any others right now.

Inverness
January 27th, 2006, 07:17 PM
www.holisticblend.com

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 07:35 PM
www.holisticblend.com
Sorry if this is a hijack but I'm suspicious as to why they put "chicken meal" in their cat food but "chicken" and "lamb" in their dog foods. The millet in the dog food gets bumped up to #1 when the meat is dehydrated. I don't know why they'd do that for one species and not the other. You know what I mean? But that's not what this thread is about... :o

Inverness
January 27th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Sorry if this is a hijack but I'm suspicious as to why they put "chicken meal" in their cat food but "chicken" and "lamb" in their dog foods. The millet in the dog food gets bumped up to #1 when the meat is dehydrated. I don't know why they'd do that for one species and not the other. You know what I mean? But that's not what this thread is about... :o

My guess is that's because they consider the dog to be less a carnivor than the cat, hence finding the proteins in ingredients other than the meat. Chicken meal must be much more expensive than chicken meat. But that's just my guess. Maybe give them a ring and ask ?

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I just thought it was weird because even if they need less protein than cats, most people would rather the main source be an animal source... No biggie. It's still better than a lot of foods out there.

K9Friend
January 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I use Nutram Lamb & Rice for my pooch. Not high end as in INNOVA evo but decent enough. Company is based in Ontario. They're great in providing nutrition info to you and will always reply within 24 hrs to your emails! :thumbs up

http://www.nutramonline.com/

Inverness
January 27th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I have yet to find THE perfect food which is why I often cook myself for the dogs (rarely for the cats because they don't eat quickly enough and I don't want the meat to stay at room temp.). BUT, I chose Holistic Blend because they use organic human grade ingredients and garanty their food being exempt of BHA, BHT, Ethoxyquin, E-Coli, mold and salmonella (just had to go back to their website to remember all that !) AND, they are a Canadian company.

Anyways, enough threadjacking, let's close this parenthesis, shall we ? :D

Inverness
January 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I use Nutram Lamb & Rice for my pooch. Not high end as in INNOVA evo but decent enough. Company is based in Ontario. They're great in providing nutrition info to you and will always reply within 24 hrs to your emails! :thumbs up

http://www.nutramonline.com/

Although I do not agree with some ingredients in the Nutram formulas, I must say this is one of the few companies that does use quality meats. I think they produce their own chicken and I can tell you, since a friend of mine is also a distributor for them and uses Nutram for her boarding kennel, her own dogs and her pound dogs that the results are good.

Sneaky
January 27th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I feed Firstmate Foods.
They are made in Burnaby BC.
Heres their website - i feed the Naturally Holistic.
http://www.firstmate.com/

Gazoo
January 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM
We feed Acana. Its made from all Canadian standard human grade ingredients!!!!

http://www.championpetfoods.com/

Its in Alberta and I'm pretty happy about buying Canadian:thumbs up

meb999
January 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Although I do not agree with some ingredients in the Nutram formulas, I must say this is one of the few companies that does use quality meats. I think they produce their own chicken and I can tell you, since a friend of mine is also a distributor for them and uses Nutram for her boarding kennel, her own dogs and her pound dogs that the results are good.

I also feed Buster Nutram (Lamb and rice). It took forever for me to find a food that Buster could digest well. My vet says he probably has food allergies (maybe corn??). I've tried feeding him : Eagle Pack (which is an AWESOME food, but Buster had mega diarhea on it), Wellness and Solid Gold. I fed each of these foods for 2 months, before giving up on each one.

The only thing I don't like about Nutram, is that the only flavor that Buster can digest is the Lamb and Rice, so there is only one kind of meat in it. So I compensate by feeding him tuna or salmon or liver, in the morning then feeding him his kibble at night. It seems to work well for him. He's got a really shiny coat, healthy gums and healthy poops!! I also add a little bit of canola oil to his kibble (he's a little skinny so he can use the extra fat!!)

Here are the ingredients for the Lamb and Rice : Lamb meal, ground rice, rice flour, ground barley, flaxseed, canola oil (preserved with Vitamin E), rice bran, natural flavours, dried egg, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, kelp meal, monosodium phosphate, choline chloride, glucosamine, chondroitin, yucca schidigera extract, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K (menadione), Vitamin B12, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), riboflavin, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, biotin, ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate, zinc sulphate, zinc proteinate, copper sulphate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, cobalt proteinate, sodium selenite.

Prin
January 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
The problem with that one again, is that they break down the rice into pieces. That means that it's by far the primary ingredient in the food.

A lot of Eagle Packs have corn in them, which might explain why Buster didn't digest them...

As for Wellness and Solid Gold, in my experience, it took Jemma and Boo 4 months to have really firm stools on it. I switched them from a food full of stool hardeners and they had had stool hardeners their whole lives so I gave them more time to sort themselves out...

goldengal
January 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
The Eagle Pack Holistic line does not have corn or wheat in it. I found an excellent site on dog food today: http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=main I have spent a lot of time reading here, and am sure I will go back many times to peruse the info.

K9Friend
January 28th, 2006, 03:52 PM

I hear ya but I am very pleased with how it agrees with my pooch. She looks great and loves the stuff! :thumbs up I will often compensate with chicken & beef meat.

Prin
January 28th, 2006, 04:51 PM
The Eagle Pack Holistic line does not have corn or wheat in it. I found an excellent site on dog food today: http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=main I have spent a lot of time reading here, and am sure I will go back many times to peruse the info.
I just don't get why they need so much beet pulp in their holistic foods. In some, beet pulp is the 5th ingredient. That's a lot of beet pulp. Beet pulp is a stool hardener that is not beneficial for the dog, IMO. It releases toxins that constrict the blood vessels of the colon to stop peristalsis. The stool sits in the paralyzed colon till it gets firm, whether your dog is sick or not. If my dog's food is good, balanced and digestible, it shouldn't need stool hardeners as drastic as beet pulp. Tomato pomace is another hardener, but it's less drastic. To me, beet pulp is a corner cutting, cost saver that is not used in the best interest of the dog.

So ya, they don't have corn like their other foods do, but they have other stuff anyway that more expensive, "holistic" foods shouldn't have, IMO.

rainbow
January 28th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I just went to the site http://mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=main and, I agree, it is an excellent site. I read the information about Menadione and definitely do not want that in the dog food I buy. Surprisingly, it is in alot of the premium brands. I have sent emails to a few companies, directing them to the article, and asking if they would consider not putting it in their pet food. Perhaps, if more people do the same, they will reconsider. If anyone knows of a good dog food (preferably Canadian) that doesn`t use it, please let me know. Thanks. I didn`t realize finding a good dog food would be so complicated.:ca: :pawprint: