Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice on puppy food

Jenmlf
January 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I am wondering if anyone has had experience with Nutro Natural Choice puppy food? I have the lamb and rice kind and am trying it out. Before I do I want openions so any help would be great!

Thanks!

phoenix
January 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM
IMO not a quality food. There are better quality brands out there, for not that much more money, and you'll be feeding less, which ends up saving you. I started Sam on lamb and rice nutro natural choice puppy last year. He had dandruff and his coat didn't look good, so I started doing some research. He and my new puppy Maia are both on Canidae all stages now, and I'm really happy with that.

The Nutro ingredients are:
Lamb Meal, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Rice Gluten, Ground Rice, Dried Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Dried Kelp (source of Iodine), Dried Egg Product, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Biotin, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Garlic Flavor, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid.

and dog food ingredients are listed in order of %weight of the food, so that means that most of this food is rice. If you look at Canidae, for example,

INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Menhaden Fish Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Lecithin, Brewers Yeast, Natural Flavors, Monosodium Phosphate, Choline, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Ferrous Sulfate, Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E) Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of B2), Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation product, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, D- Biotin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium, Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Papain, Bacillus Subtilis, Aspergillus Niger, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

There are 3 meats in the 1st 5 ingredients. AND for my puppy's age and size, I feed 1 1/2 c a day, while nutro puppy asks you to feed 3 3/8 c ... so the bag is a bit more expensive, but i'm feeding her far less. This means, less poop to clean up!

Sorry so long, just want to help!

Jenmlf
January 27th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks so much though. I have bought it but only a small bag (cause I wasn't sure the quality) so I guess I will use it and go back to wellness (I guess for the cost of a bag (expencive) its way worth it).

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Wellness is definitely better IMO.

Jenmlf
January 27th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Yes Wellness is absolutely better. Unfortunately I was unable to go to the store that sells it. From now on though its Wellness all the way.:thumbs up