Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dry, tender tootsies

gilzer
January 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM
My 11 mth old Akita lives outside during the day and like to dig in the mud. We have to wash his feet before he comes into the house after walks and during the day. His paws are starting to get very dry, and sore (he's been whining when his feet are in the water). Can I moisturise them? Glycerin? Oils?

Any suggestions?

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I use "bag balm" on Jemma's feeties. It does a good job but it's pretty oily though. I also have another one with eucalyptus in it to soote those achy doggy feets. It doesn't last as long as the balm, but their reaction when you massage it in on is worth the trouble (spoiled doggies!!). You can also buy a sort of wax to coat the pads before the doggy goes outside. It might make them dry out less when you're washing them off.

mummummum
January 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Like Prin we use Bag Balm in my house and it does work really well. But, it is very greasy and the dawgies tend to lick their paws right after I put it on which defeats the purpose so...don't laugh now... I bought 2 pairs of baby booties which are elasticized at the ankle and put them on their paws for a litle while after I Bag Balm them.:D

meb999
January 28th, 2006, 11:43 AM
We use BagBalm too. I often put his Muttlucks on right after so he doesn't oil up my floors, or lick it off -- plus, it hydrates the leather of the boots , kill 2 birds with one stone!!