Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog pukeing,

johnnytl4
October 30th, 2003, 06:38 PM
hi i was woundring if anyone knows if wild mushrooms growing on trees could cause a dog to get sic,,,my dog was sic for three days puking and wouldnt eat , she is ok now just getting over but my sis dog got sic the same day and is at the vetts going throu sum tests,,,,they both are alwayz in my back yard and we have wild mushrooms growing out there i thought maybee that could of caused it or?if anyone knows if this or any proble cuz of the dogs gettin sick plz let me know,,,, thanks

homer
October 30th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Dogs are always eating stuff they shouldn't.

Sure it could have been the mushrooms, but it could also have been something else.

I am glad your dog is OK but in general 3 days is WAY WAY to long to have waited. The dog should have seen a vet.

24-36 hours is the most you should ever wait when a dog has vomited and it is not getting better.

drdouggie
November 2nd, 2003, 11:45 AM
Yep...wild mushrooms will cause your dogs to be sick, get rid of them (the mushrooms..not the dogs!) Many fungi are poisonous to dogs and if ingested in large enough quantities, will kill them. I think you may have had a lucky call there, I have to agree with Homer, 3 days is definately too long to wait to see a vet if your dog is vomiting, especially if it has ingested something it shouldn't, particularly mushrooms, as I've said, many are toxic to dogs.

If you are going to let the dogs out unattended in your garden, do get rid of the mushrooms with a fungicide or simply remove the fruiting bodies (the bits of the mushroom you can see) by hand.