Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can anyone reccomend a good electic guitar for an 8 year old

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 26th, 2006, 08:32 PM
My son took his first guitar lesson today. He learned "Ode to Joey" :D
and "I would rather be a hammer than a nail, yes I would, if I could"
Does anyone know a good starter guitar he is a bit on the small side for his age and his dexterity isnt that great. He is going to a music store on saturday to try out guitars and amps.

jesse's mommy
January 26th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Jim wants to know how old he is and his size. Jim is a music guy so he is a good source.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 26th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Okay he is eight and 49 inches tall, just a tad over 4ft. His arm from his shoulder to the tip of his middle fingers is 19 inches and he weighs 45 pounds.

Anything else I should consider, thanks a lot for the advice too.

jesse's mommy
January 26th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Fender -- Squier Mini Strat -- Starts around $99 depending on how it is finished. It's a kids Stratocaster that has a small scale neck and is a miniature version of an Eric Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughn guitar. Here's a link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=510421

Basically Jim really wants this guitar himself, but can't afford the "big boy" one right now.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 26th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Thank you so much I am going to foward this link to my husband they are going to hopefully get a guitar on sat.

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Jim wants to know how old he is and his size. Jim is a music guy so he is a good source.
You know Jim the music guy too? Small world.:)

I'm glad your son seems to be sticking with it, JECM. I assume you'll send us all autographed albums when they come out in 10-15 years?:crazy:

jesse's mommy
January 27th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Yep, he's the music guy, the magic guy, the computer guy, and all around handsome guy! :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 27th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Prin=

I'm glad your son seems to be sticking with it, JECM. I assume you'll send us all autographed albums when they come out in 10-15 years?

of course, and your all invited to his CD release party in 2020.

Now my five year old wants to play the guitar too, but older son said you can't have two guitars in a band, you' ll have to play the drums, so we may end up with a noisy home.

Writing4Fun
January 27th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Now my five year old wants to play the guitar too, but older son said you can't have two guitars in a band, you' ll have to play the drums, so we may end up with a noisy home.
Welcome to my nightmare. We already have a 2 year old drummer, and now the 6 year old wants to take guitar lessons. :eek: Looks like I'll be heading out to buy a mini-strat as well - my brothers will be proud. :rolleyes:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 27th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Well my hubby went and bought a guitar today. He didnt want to drive into Kelowna tommorow as there is supposed to be a big snowstorm tommorow. He bought my son a Jay Tusrer Strat don't know much about it. I was hoping he would have gone for the mini strat (not sure what strat means exactly) It does seem a bit big, but I guess my hubby thought he might grow out of a smaller one too quickly.

He is planning his first concert for his class during show and tell. So for he as learned G and Em I know a few cords myself and can read guitar music so hopefully I can be of some help to him.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 29th, 2006, 10:20 PM
So everything was going great until my younger son decided to turn all the keys and completely untune the guitar. We have one of those tuners that you plug into the guitar, the green light is supposed to come on when its tuned. Which supposedly it did but its still grossly out of tune. My hubby thinks I am just not hearing it right. But when I do the fingering to check the tuning it is way out of tune, and when I play EM or G or any chord I know it sounds way off. Supposedly its because its electric and its not supposed to sound like the acoustic one. Anyhow I know its still out of tune, but hubby thinks its fine. Hmmm I guess I will need to take into the music store to see if they can tune.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 9th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Just wanted to give an update - my little guy is doing awesome and I'm learning to play all over again with him. We are both learning Greenday Good riddance - better known as time of your life (the last Seinfeild episode some - all the chords are really easy except both us just only know how to strum. Great song. And hes learning some cool finger excercises too with some cool blues riffs to them too. I think I want to get him a mike to plug into the amp too -so he can be a true rock n roller.