Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Underrated Actors

jesse's mommy
January 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Which actors or actresses do you think have been underrated? You know, the people who you love watching their movies, but never get the credit they deserve. I absolutely love Kevin Kline. I think he is a phenominal actor and always chooses wonderful roles, but hasn't won an academy awared since A Fish Called Wanda. What about some acknowledgment for Life As a House or the Emperors Club? He did a fantastic job in them.

Anyone else?

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I'd still like to say Johnny Depp. He's become more popular, but not for the right reasons (looks aren't everything, they're just a bonus).

Kate Winslet. She's the perfect reasonable person. She's beautiful but not a twig. And she can act just about anything.

jesse's mommy
January 27th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Prin -- good choices! :thumbs up

shannonRN
January 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM
You know, I can't think of any, off the top of my head, but I want to play along. How about overrated actors: Keanu Reeves!

raingirl
January 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Sandra Oh. I love her. I love that movie she did where she was a strugling actress dealing with traditional chinese parents. I forget the name of it though...good movie.

Roshan Seth. He is a bollywood and american actor that has done some big films (mississippi marsala, Indiana Jones-Temple of Doom, ghandi,). My fav movie he was in was monsoon wedding. Very good (then again, i love bollywood).

Prin
January 28th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Overrated: Tom Cruise

Underrated: Kate Blanchett

chico2
January 28th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I agree with Tom Cruise being overrated,I never liked him and now even less:mad:

jesse's mommy
January 28th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I totally agree with Tom Cruise being overrated and too like him even less. I can't stand even looking at him or even watching interviews with him, let alone watching his movies.

Here's some other overrated:

Though nice to look at, I can't stand Colin Farrell's acting!

How about Jennifer Lopez??? Definitely overrated, though I did like Monster In Law.

jiorji
January 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Ryan Gosling

raingirl
January 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Mmm...Ryan Gosling. Remember when he was on that STUPID floating cruise ship/school tv show on YTV?

shannonRN
January 29th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Underrated: I thought of an actor that I really like who's not totally huge in hollywood...Joaquin Phoenix.
Overrated: JLo and Madonna both should definitely stick to music.

chico2
January 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I also think not so handsome,Harvey Keitel,Ed Harris are underrated..many of you young ones might not even know who they are:D

jesse's mommy
January 29th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I love Ed Harris! He popped in my head while I was working and not near a computer! He's great and definitely underrated!!!

Prin
January 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I don't like Ed Harris. Probably because of what he did to Truman.:o

Is Ryan Gosling the guy from the Notebook? If it is, that guy is a spitty talker...

Kirsten Dunst is also underrated IMO. Dennis Quaid too. (He's more famous, but he doesn't get the deeper roles that he could do).

joeysmama
January 29th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I love this thread !!

I agree with Prin. I think Johnny Depp is way underrated. He gets too much attention for his looks when his acting is just brilliant !! (ok, he IS mighty pretty but as a performer I find him mesmerizing) I think Sean Penn is wonderful to watch also, but he's not as attractive so I think he does get noticed more for his work.

I never liked Tom Cruise a whole lot but these days I like him even less, and it looks like I'm not alone there.

I think Nicole Kidman and Meg Ryan are both over rated.

Helen Hunt is wonderful !

Judi Dench is brilliant.

Edward Hammill--my all time favorite ! Ok no one knows who he is--he's a friend of mine who retired and moved to England and now does extra work there. But he's been in the Bond movie (the one with Halle Berry), the last Batman movie, and the new Harry Potter. Plus some mystery shows on the BBC. Loyalty dictates that Ed makes my list.:)

jiorji
February 1st, 2006, 11:14 PM
Mmm...Ryan Gosling. Remember when he was on that STUPID floating cruise ship/school tv show on YTV?

HAHAHAH omg! he was so puny!! then he disappeared and next thing I see him playing this NeoNazi Jew in "The Believer". I thought....:eek: :eek: :eek: for how buff he got and what a good actor he really is!

jiorji
February 1st, 2006, 11:18 PM
I love this thread !!

I agree with Prin. I think Johnny Depp is way underrated.

No way I'd have to disagree. Johnny Depp is one of the greatest actors and I totally love the guy but he knows he's good. The only reason as to why he's not so Hollywood is cos he lives in France and it makes him more mellowed out. I think a lot of good actors who do good in Hollywood but then quit Hollywood and live far away get looked down on....like they're too good. So I think that's why they don't give him credit. But funny thing is....he IS too good! hahaha

LOVE HIM! he's awesome!
one day he'll be my friend :D

Prin
February 1st, 2006, 11:44 PM
LOVE HIM! he's awesome!
one day he'll be my friend Me too.:thumbs up

joeysmama
February 2nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Why don't we see what he's doing for the Super Bowl ? I can throw together a chili or something. Tell him to bring the family. Who wants to bring chips? :party:

jesse's mommy
February 2nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
I'll bring the chips! I can trade cookies with the chip vendors and get them for free!!! :evil:

Writing4Fun
February 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Agree with Johnny Depp - that man has got serious range.

Agree with Tom Cruise. I used to have the biggest crush on him (back in his Top Gun days - hey, he rode a fast bike!). These days, though, he's become a sorry, mid-life-crisis annoyance more than anything else.

I'm probably going to get boo'd for this, but I like Sandra Bullock. I don't think there are a lot of women actors out there who can pull off physical comedy like she can.

joeysmama
February 2nd, 2006, 11:02 PM
I agree with you on Sandra Bullock. I think if you take any role that Julia Roberts is in, and replace her with Sandra Bullock, you'll make the picture better. (I'm not a huge Julia Roberts fan.) I've always felt that way about Kevin Bacon and Tom Cruise. I think that you should replace Cruise with Bacon in every movie as well and improve it.

Prin
February 2nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
Oh, I agree with Sandra Bullock. I was going to say it but I didn't have any real winning points to back myself up. :D

I love 28 Days though. And Miss Congeniality. Speed was ruined by Keano Suck.

BoxerRescueMTL
February 2nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
Steve Buscemi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's my favorite actor. When he trips off the sidewalk in the Wedding Singer...priceless..

Prin
February 2nd, 2006, 11:32 PM
He's a little creepy. What movie was it where he was a crazy astronaut? That was weird.

jiorji
February 3rd, 2006, 02:49 AM
hehe Steve Buscemi has that weird psychotath/rapist look. And when he tries to do "regular" roles it just doesn't work for me. I think it's his eyes:eek:

Anyone know of Michael Pitt? I think he's great. He does artsy movies. He was in "The Last Days". Horrible movie.

hmm who else...Rowan Atkinson. HA HA....

jesse's mommy
February 3rd, 2006, 06:04 AM
How about Ed Norton??? I definitely think he is underrated.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 3rd, 2006, 08:10 AM
I am thinking Nicholoas cage but in his early in his career. Did anyone see a movie called Birdie with him in it an absolultely fabulous movie IMO.

joeysmama
February 3rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
Yes on Ed Norton. I agree. He's very good. And Rowan Atkinson--priceless. One of my favorite Christmas videos is Merry Christmas Mr. Bean. And we love him in The Thin Blue Line. But we're Brit-com addicts here.

Miss Congeniality is a darling movie and one that I'm not embarassed to watch with my kids. I also love Sweet Home Alabama for the same reason, and I think that Reese Witherspoon is adorable in that. But the poor thing--having to choose between two rich and gorgeous guys who are both crazy about her. I hate when that happens.;)

jiorji
February 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
I also love Sweet Home Alabama for the same reason, and I think that Reese Witherspoon is adorable in that. But the poor thing--having to choose between two rich and gorgeous guys who are both crazy about her. I hate when that happens.;)

hehe I love Mr.Bean.

and Home Sweet Alabama was actually pretty good. Even though i'm not into sappy romantic movies, but I believe in the soulmate thing so...sigh...that movie got me.*tear*

Prin
February 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
I also love Sweet Home Alabama for the same reason, and I think that Reese Witherspoon is adorable in that. But the poor thing--having to choose between two rich and gorgeous guys who are both crazy about her. I hate when that happens.;)No one is rich and one is poor. That's why the choice is so hard.:D

marko
February 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM
GREAT THREAD!!!

Underrated - Joan Allen (AMAZING ACTRESS - check out the Contender and the Upside of Anger), Willem Dafoe, Billy Bob Thornton, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Gary Oldman

I will DEFINITELY be adding to this list....

chico2
February 12th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I just watched"Upside of anger"yesterday and Joan Allen was great,not too crazy about Kevin Kostners performance though.

jesse's mommy
February 16th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Jim surprised me and got "In and Out" from netflix today because he knows how much I love Kevin Kline. I haven't seen this movie in a few years and I love it now as much as I did when I first saw it. I almost forgot how good this movie is!!!