Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

suggestions dogs and vaccums

free
January 26th, 2006, 01:00 PM
beau seems to be going more crazy every time i plug in the central vac. he barks non stop and tries biting it . when he is biting i tell him leave and he does for 5 seconds and then is back at it. i have also tried feeding him treats while the vac is on. he will take the treats from me and be good for the the moment but as soon as the treats stop he is back at it. any other things i could try?

angie79
January 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM
my dog tries to play with my hand held!!!
cant help you but please tell me how you got him to fear it lol

Rottielover
January 26th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I crate Harley when I vaccuum. If not say good bye to it. He tries to chew it up, so Best for him to be in his crate, he does not mind it

jessi76
January 26th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I use one hand to vaccum, and the other holds the squirt bottle.... vaccum, bark/bite, SQUIRT!, vaccum, bark/bite, SQUIRT!, and so on.

wdawson
January 26th, 2006, 05:38 PM
we schedule the vacuuming around our walk schedule , morning walk vacuum upstairs , afternoon downstairs , which is good cause i hate to vacuum so i always take the dogs out.

jesse's mommy
January 26th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Jesse thinks vacuuming is a game, so we usually have fun with it and chase her around the house!!

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Jesse thinks vacuuming is a game, so we usually have fun with it and chase her around the house!!
LOL That's what I do. I also sweep them around the house, blow dry them around the house and chase them with the guillotine nail cutters... :evil: :D Welcome to Prin's house of Torture! :D They were afraid of everything, so this way it's a game. Of course you have to make playful growly noises at first to let them know it's a game... :D How to get them to ignore it? Mine just did over time- same with any game. After a while, they get too lazy to play.:o

jesse's mommy
January 27th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Ignore it? It's been over two years and Jesse doesn't show any signs of letting up! I can't really say I want to because it's fun for me too. :evil:

She's actually even more funny with the hair dryer. She first thinks it's attacking mommy so she slowly comes up to stalk it. Then I turn it on her and she does the bark/swallow the hot air, gets down on all fours, lunges at it again and does the bark/swallow the hot air thing again and it goes on until my hands get tired of holding the hair dryer!! :eek:

Mineeputs
January 27th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Our new pup hates the vacuum and runs into her crate whenever I start it up. I've never intentionally scared her with it - must just be the noise factor. One thing for sure, I get my cleaning done without her underfoot!
Our old dog used to love the vacuum. When she was shedding out of control, I'd use the vacuum to suck up the hair on her body. I think the suction felt good. Oh dear! I also used to vacuum my old kitty - mind you she was as deaf as a doorknob.

SnowDancer
January 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM
My Eskie tries to attack the vacuum because he thinks it is attacking me - and if something happened to me, who would take care of him. Very narcissistic dog.

mummummum
January 27th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Tai - my last dawgie - loved to have her lips vacuumed. She'd plunk herself down in front of the vacuum and wouldn't move until I took the hose to the side of her mouth -sshlubbbshlowowpshlipshlowowshlupppshlippshhllubb -lips just a flapping - one strange dawgie, one ROFLMAO Mum.:crazy:

katieandclayton
February 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
My dog is scared of the vacuum because it's loud. Over the period of a week or so, sit with your dog in a quiet place and play a tape of a vacuum very quietly, the next day, turn it up and so on and so forth until it's as loud as a normal vacuum. Don't comfort the dog for cowering away from it, that encourages the behaviour. Also, play other loud things in the house. Crank your music once in awhile or TV and just sit with the dog calmly as it's playing, hopefully he might learn that it won't hurt him.