Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Golden Retriever strangles little girl

Rick C
January 26th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Little girl gets dragged around by her scarf by the family golden and is strangled.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/World/2006/01/26/1412151-sun.html

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

joeysmama
January 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM
This is too awful for words. I certainly do know that it doesn't take long for an accident to happen even with the most diligent parenting. But I can't help but wonder why no one was paying enough attention to a six year old to see that she was in trouble. But then, as I said, it only takes a minute and who of us has never gotten distracted on the phone or the computer? A large playful dog and a small six year old. It micht not have taken very long for this tragedy to occur.

gdamadg
January 26th, 2006, 04:00 PM
But I can't help but wonder why no one was paying enough attention to a six year old to see that she was in trouble.

;) But isn't a 69lb dog a good babysitter? Some people just don't think. 10 minutes alone is a long time, not a moment of distraction.

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 01:22 AM
This made me so sad. Not only was the girl alone with the dog, very soon after the dog was put in a shelter. Like it was his fault. Like he intended to kill her. Who put her scarf on like a noose if there were no parents around? Since when do kids wear scarves on their own? Not the whole story, IMO.

Rick C
January 27th, 2006, 08:42 AM
This made me so sad. Not only was the girl alone with the dog, very soon after the dog was put in a shelter. Like it was his fault. Like he intended to kill her. Who put her scarf on like a noose if there were no parents around? Since when do kids wear scarves on their own? Not the whole story, IMO.

They've apparently received over 300 offers to adopt the dog . . . . . as per a newscast in New York.

Honestly, I could see how they would want to give the dog up to a different home as he/she would be a constant reminder of the tragedy . . . . and perhaps a reminder of their own failings in the situation.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Georgiapeaches
January 27th, 2006, 09:23 AM
They've apparently received over 300 offers to adopt the dog . . . . . as per a newscast in New York.

Honestly, I could see how they would want to give the dog up to a different home as he/she would be a constant reminder of the tragedy . . . . and perhaps a reminder of their own failings in the situation.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

uhhhhh....you know, if this had been a pitbull, rottweiler, doberman the dog would be euthanized. :rolleyes:
Infact, I recall in the last year an incident where a female pitbull suffocated a young baby (an accident) on a couch while the mother was not in the room, and the dog was pts.

I love all breeds of dogs, so noone think I am out for other breeds. In my immediate family (we are all grown up and living separately) there are two pitbulls, a GSP, a Golden retriever and a cat. I have grown up with a rottweiler and a collie X.
I don't dislike breeds of dogs, I dislike the humans who are negligent.

mastifflover
January 27th, 2006, 09:30 AM

I agree they should have been watching there child not busy elsewhere for 10 minutes. I am so sorry for the family but maybe they will rethink leaving a child to be babysat by a dog.
You are so right if this would have been any of the large of so called vicious breeds the dog would have been pts.

Rick C
January 27th, 2006, 10:54 AM
uhhhhh....you know, if this had been a pitbull, rottweiler, doberman the dog would be euthanized. :rolleyes:
Infact, I recall in the last year an incident where a female pitbull suffocated a young baby (an accident) on a couch while the mother was not in the room, and the dog was pts.

Just curious . . . . was it state ordered or did the owners decide to put the Pit to sleep?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Georgiapeaches
January 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Just curious . . . . was it state ordered or did the owners decide to put the Pit to sleep?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

The owners had requested the dog be pts. But, if they hadn't I am sure it would have been ordered. Also, the dog in question had given birth one month before. The baby smothered was 1 month old and premature. Left on the couch while her mother was in the kitchen:(
The point I guess is, there are 300 offeres of adoption for the GR, but I bet had this been a pitbull, rottweiler, dobe, mastiff...people would not be offering to adopt but rather wanting the dog pts.

I don't want to sound like an uncompassionate jerk. I do feel sad for the dog, it probably has no clue what it did. I stand my opinion though, that most of the time, it's human negligence that is the cause of such incidents.

shannonRN
January 27th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Really awful. I didn't read the story, but the title and reading your posts is enough. More and more though I see things like this at work. Just last night--no kidding--I admitted a 4 years, 10 mo old boy with a concussion who had been knocked down a flight of stairs by the family Lab. His mother said she called up to the child and asked him to let the dog out. The door to let the dog out is at the top of the stairs....She even said about the dog, "he's a typical, exuberant Lab!"

:confused: :confused: :confused: Had to wonder what she was thinking, having a 37 pound kid deal with a 70 pound dog, who's 'antsy' to go outside, at the top of a flight of stairs...but certainly didn't drill her about it. Watching me do neuro checks and the glasgow coma scale on him repeatedly during the night was more than enough of a wake up call for her. He was doing really well by morning, thank goodness, but this could have been really awful, and she would have had no one but herself to blame.

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Honestly, I could see how they would want to give the dog up to a different home as he/she would be a constant reminder of the tragedy . . . . and perhaps a reminder of their own failings in the situation. It just seems to me that kids who accidentally kill their brothers and sisters aren't thrown into orphanages. But this is "just a dog", right?

mastifflover
January 27th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Good point prin.

c2itwillu
January 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I am new to this posting thing...But needed to comment. I have a golden retreiver...and we love her very much....she is a wonderful pet...not only is she the pet...but part of our family....I had to comment because this incident happened to my youngest...Fortunately...I was right there and got the scarf off her neck....But our dog loves to be in the snow or playing outside and will grab anything you have in your hands to get you to chase her. We think it is the funniest thing how the dog waits until you not looking and sneaks up on you and will grab the mittens right off your fingers and wait until you chase after her to get them...Or when the kids get out of the pool, and the dog grabs their towels from them when their not looking and runs around the yard with them...The kids are freezing and they run after the dog screaming to get their towels back...BUT...About 2 years ago, we were playing in the snow and the dog went and grabbed my daughters scarf...She was choking and I just happened to be there and saw it happen. So I immediately handled the situation...Thank God...our daughter wasn't harmed in anyway. Our kids learned not to wear scarfs outside of their coats when the dog is around. They have to tuck them in. If the dog gets too frisky, then we put her in until she calms down. Sounds silly to some people...but when I heard that story...I just couldn't believe it. Accident's happen. Unfortunately some are tragic......This is awful...I was lucky because I was right there with my daughter... But if I was standing in front of her with my back to her...the results might not have been the same. Because she never made a sound...I could have just had my back turned and walked away from her. I got lucky...I was facing her...my prayers are with the family

Prin
January 29th, 2006, 01:46 PM
That's amazing that this happened to you. I'm so glad you didn't leave your kids unattended that day. Thanks for giving us the perspective from the other side.:)

oreostorm
January 29th, 2006, 07:41 PM
This is too awful for words. I certainly do know that it doesn't take long for an accident to happen even with the most diligent parenting. But I can't help but wonder why no one was paying enough attention to a six year old to see that she was in trouble. But then, as I said, it only takes a minute and who of us has never gotten distracted on the phone or the computer? A large playful dog and a small six year old. It micht not have taken very long for this tragedy to occur.

What an aweful story....and being a mother of a 6 yr. old......yes, I let my kids out in the fenced back yard while I am in the house doing chores (cooking dinner, laundry etc). I do check on them frequently, but it would not be unusual to let them be unattended for 10 minute stretches. I dont think that makes me a bad mother. Dont you remember your childhood and roaming the neighborhood with friends until your mother rang the bell or whistle to call you in? I hate reading these type of stories because it reminds us all of how fragile life is and how quickly it can be taken away. I would also have given the dog away (not put to sleep) ...any parent would do that.

dobbie4ever
February 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
It is sad to hear about a dog hurting or killing a child but it is happening more and more why is it the dogs fault or the child i think neither it is the fault of the parents of the kids and the dogs i have know a lot of dobbies rottes and pit bulls and all of them have lived with children and nothing happened but when you have a child that is not taught to treat these animals right that is what happens what would you do if someone pulled your ears poked you in the eyes and jumped on your back i am sick of the papers and the news channels blaming it on the dogs

Rick C
February 14th, 2006, 11:36 AM
The dog owners put down both German Shephards, even though authorities were conclusive that only one had been involved.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca