Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new dog and some issues

dyukon
January 26th, 2006, 08:46 AM
We rescued a 10 month yellow lab. We have some concerns. He's got deep red bloodshot eyes. Also, he whimpers when he's pooping. In addition, his hips seem a bit swollen. He has trouble keeping up with our 2 yr old yellow lab. He doesn't jump or trot like he's a pup. He's not high energy at all. The previous owners had crated him for 8-10 hrs/day since he was a puppy. I'll be taking him to the vet soon but I wanted to know a little bit more before then.

angie79
January 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM
make sure he is checked for hip displacia (sp)
did the original owners tell you anything about his history, better yet why they are giving him up.. did they give you his papers including his vet (shots) file? so you can talk to the origianl vet see if there were tests done.

jessi76
January 26th, 2006, 09:43 AM
What more do you need to know exactly? Bloodshot eyes, difficulty eliminating, and swollen hips call for a trip to the vet.

Maybe a little more info may help other members give you advice....but IMO you should definately get him checked out.

how long have you had him?
have you had him checked out by a vet at all?
what type of food is he on? is he eating normally?
how much exercise is he getting (or is able to do)?
what is his daily routine like?

BMDLuver
January 26th, 2006, 10:16 AM
My guess would be a few things..

One, he has not had enough exercise in his previous home so he's like you would be if you hadn't gone to the gym in months then decided to have a marathon day of it.

Two, he most likely could have loose ligaments and tendons as well as the possibility of hip or hock issues.

Three, food change can cause eye redness or be an indicator to allergy.

Four, pooping difficulties mean either he is straining to have a bowel movement due to impacted anal glands or he's very sore and the strain hurts him.

Five, lethargy in a pup that young is not a good sign.

Definitely get him to the vet's very soon and thank you for helping him to have a better life.