Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Have a New Yorkie... and questions

tami21267
January 25th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Hello... I have always had BIG dogs as pets and now I have a 5 year old, 7 pound Yorkie. We got her because the previous owner was giving her away FREE because her daughter's allergies had worsened over the last year. I'm not quite sure on how much and when to feed her. With big dogs you only feed them once a day after a certain age... is it the same with Yorkies? Should I only feed her once a day? And how much does a 7 pound dog eat?

At first, she wouldnt eat anything. I thought it was the transition from one home to another so I didnt worry too much. But then 2 1/2 days went by and she still would not eat the DRY food that I had bought for her. Finally, I gave up (I cant stand the idea that she's starving herself), I went to the store and bought Moist and Meaty WET dog food and I think she inhaled it. I dont think she even stopped to breath. Poor baby, all she wanted was WET food. But I bought the same stuff the previous owner told me she was feeding her.

I cant ask the previous owner any questions about the dog, cause silly me was so excited that we (me and my girls) had finally found a new dog that I forgot to ask for her information. So I'm hoping that someone here can help. :fingerscr

Sneaky
January 25th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Hi there,
Usually it is recommended that you feed any dog at least two times
a day.
A Yorkie will probably eat about 1 cup of food twice a day.
You shouldnt feed Yorkies wet food only, as this often causes
them to develop tooth decay problems.
They are very prone to this.
You should start weaning her off the wet food onto a dry premium
kibble. (not a grocery store brand).
You do this by slowly adding some of the new food to her current
food, and slowly replace it until the entire old food is gone and
the new food is all they are eating.
She could also be very upset by the move to a new home.
Give her time and lots of love.
I would also recommend implementing a tooth brushing routine
as all small dogs are prone to dental problems, and a 2 minute a day
brushing will save you hundreds even thousands of dollars later one.
She is a very cute looking yorkie!
remember to brush her every day too - my mother in law has a yorkie and it gets matted up so fast. When it stays with us every once in a while I brush her twice a day to keep the matts down.
Good luck And Welcome!

Prin
January 26th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Actually, they say that it's not the texture of the food but the quality of the food that counts for healthy teeth. That said, it's much easier to find higher quality kibble than canned (and much cheaper too).;)

I posted some links to good dog food companies if you want to have a look... Post #4 here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18592

Lucky Rescue
January 26th, 2006, 09:27 AM
What a cute little dog! Give her canned food if that's what she wants. I see many little dog who don't like dry. Canned food will NOT cause tooth problems. Heredity and lack of dental care causes that, the same as in people.

Just make sure the canned is good quality to keep her healthy!

No dog should be fed once a day. You can break her portion down to 2 or even 3 meals a day.

To get her happier and calmer more quickly, make sure she is on a schedule. Knowing what to expect each day gives dogs confidence and eases anxiety.

Thank you for giving this girl a nice home and saving her from who knows what fate.:thumbs up

raingirl
January 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM
a yorkie getting one cup of food twice a day?? That doesn't seem right! I feed my bulldog that much and he's 56 lbs!

tulip
January 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I feed my 14lb shih tzu about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups a day, it's pretty moist as I make it myself (she has severe allergies), there's a fair amount of veggies in there, though :) How much yours will need to eat also depends on her activity level.

For teeth, Yorkies tend to have bad teeth genectically, as they have very shallow root systems. You should bring her to your vet for a thorough check up, and ask them to check her teeth, as this could also be why she refused to eat the dry food.

Sneaky
January 26th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I mentioned the soft food - tooth decay thing because,
it is often related, espescially when people dont brush their dogs teeth.
If you think of humans, if we eat no food with roughage, we also develop
tooth decay - regardless of dental hygiene.
Ask you dentist if they think you should only eat soft mushy food, if its
good for your teeth.
I have been recommended by several dentists to eat crunchy things like
carrots to help wear plague down and prevent tooth decay.
I also suggest 1 cup of food twice a day based on that is about how
much my Chihuahua eats in a day and shes 9 lbs, about 2 cups of
food a day. Hard to judge though as I allow her to free feed, i dont regulate it.

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Sure, it makes sense, but still, crap kibble is like eating cheetos to clean your teeth, you know? If it's good kibble, it's like an apple. If it's good canned, it's not likely to have as much sugar and other stuff that decays the teeth too. The bad canned is loaded with sugar to make it tastier...

Sneaky
January 27th, 2006, 03:40 AM
True Prin, you have a good point.
When I think wet food Im thinking that mushy
pasty snouts and intestines low quality grocery store stuff.
She said "Moist and Meaty" which as far as I know is a very
low quality brand.
Ive never seen a high quality wet food outside of a vets clinic,
except in one premium pet store.
Also- when im talking kibble im not talking about
grocery store brands like iams or purina,
im talking about a high quality brand like First Mate,
Solid Gold, or the like.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 27th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Raingirl= a yorkie getting one cup of food twice a day?? That doesn't seem right! I feed my bulldog that much and he's 56 lbs!

I thought this seemed to much too. Joey gets just under a cup twice a day of solid Gold. When he was on the Eukanuba he was getting two cups a day.
Joeys 26- 28 pounds.

StaceyB
January 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM
For a little Yorkie I would guess 1/2 a cup twice a day. This is about what my toy poodles eat and my dane only eats 6 cups and he is about 170lbs.

Writing4Fun
January 27th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Again, though, it depends greatly on the quality of food. A dog will eat easily twice as much of a crappy food as they would of a high quality food - and poop out twice as much, too! :yuck:

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Exactly. 2 cups go in and 1.5 cups come out. ;)

When I think wet food Im thinking that mushy
pasty snouts and intestines low quality grocery store stuff.
She said "Moist and Meaty" which as far as I know is a very
low quality brand.
Ive never seen a high quality wet food outside of a vets clinic,
except in one premium pet store.That's why above I mentioned how it's much harder to get a premium canned food- you have to really know what you're doing and what you're supposed to look for. With kibble, most of the time, you go with the price. If it's $7 for 30kg, it's crap, but with $70 for 15kg, you expect more.

Most cans are $1-$3, which is not as huge a difference to notice.

And no, I'm not too hopeful when I hear "moist and meaty" either... Good foods don't need catch phrases...;)

tami21267
February 1st, 2006, 05:56 AM
Thank you for your help on our new Yorkie. I took her to the vet and she told me to mix some dry puppy food in with her wet food. She said that would make the transition from wet food to dry food easier. She said to use puppy food for two reasons... #1 - Yorkie's are small and it is easier for them to eat small food and #2 - Puppy food is filled with vitamins that are really good for small dogs. She also told me the we need to take her to a doggie dentist. But she said that we should wait a few months first and let the dog get more used to us first.

Thank you for all your help.
tami

tami21267
February 1st, 2006, 06:05 AM
In all the dogs I've ever had (including growing up as a child), the only foods they ever got were the grocery store kind. I have absolutely no idea what else there is for me to feed her. However, I was wrong about the name... its not Moist and Meaty... its "Mighty Dog", not the the name matters, right now I've just been happy to see her eat anything.

After taking her to the vet for a thorough check. The vet said that she is very healthy (except for her teeth). She said that we need to take her to a doggie dentist and have them clean her teeth. But she wants us to wait a couple months and allow Scruffi to get more used to us first. She said until then, mix her wet food with some puppy food. Puppy food she said has lots of vitamins in it that smaller dogs need more of. So that's what we're doing and she is eating it. Eventually she'll be on only dry food, but for now the vet said just to mix it.

Thanks for your input and help... After growing up with and only owning BIG dogs, I need all the help I can find. LOL

Tami

tami21267
February 1st, 2006, 06:13 AM
Sure, it makes sense, but still, crap kibble is like eating cheetos to clean your teeth, you know? If it's good kibble, it's like an apple. If it's good canned, it's not likely to have as much sugar and other stuff that decays the teeth too. The bad canned is loaded with sugar to make it tastier...

Are APPLES and other fruit and veggies okay for little dogs to eat?? Scruffi LOVES :love: fruit and veggies (well, not all of them but) she is really big on eating carrots, apples, potatoes, and peas. I though that was silly, but a friend of mine said it wouldnt hurt her and if she likes them, go ahead and give it to her... We have been using those foods as treats.

BMDLuver
February 1st, 2006, 06:55 AM
All those you have listed are fine for her to eat.

As for wet food, if you buy wet hollistic, then you don't have dental worries. :)

CyberKitten
February 1st, 2006, 08:36 AM
Every dog I have had or my family - has never had dentakl woes. Granted, they also had regualr vet visits and dentals. We always thought of kibble as junk food - sort of like a visit by you or me to McD's, lol - and there is no evidence kibble actually helps teeth (According to one vet site "However, the average dry kibble actually does not provide very much scraping action. When the tip of a tooth comes into contact with regular dry kibble, the kibble shatters before the tooth can penetrate far enough into it for any scraping to take place." ) and while a largely wet food diet can lead to the accumulation of plaque and tartar etc, good dental care is still the key no matter what you feed your dog (or in my case currently, my kitties). Many vets recommend wet foor doe smaller dogs and I am not sure why (and they will often refuse dry food too for some reason - my poodle was not at all a fan of dry food so he had to have a dental often to make certain his teeth were OK) .

I don't know if this will help you or not - have you looked into Wellness or some of the better dog food brands? You may have to order them or get them from a vet - where I live, I have to get the Wellness I feed my cats at a Health Food Store.

Sneaky
February 1st, 2006, 03:56 PM
The one thing I find that is horrible about feeding only wet food-
the wet poops that go along with it.
Having a dog with long hair myself- and white at that - I find if she
eats nothing but wet food she has really wet poops that get
stuck in the fur and end up all over the rug.

A High quality Kibble could hardly be considered "junk food".
High quality kibbles are absorbed easily, the nutrients
used up rapidly, and result in small hard poops of small amounts.
Considering the fact that I could feed my dog wet food for about
1/4 the cost of the kibble I buy her - that would be the junk food
in my opinion lol

Any grocery store brand of food - wet or dry - with few exceptions
are very low quality. I would highly recommend going to your vet clinic
or your local pet store or feed store and purchasing a higher quality food
than mighty dog.

tami21267
February 1st, 2006, 04:28 PM
The vet agreed with you that Mighty Dog is not the best food to feed her, however, she said that by mixing it with the puppy chow, Scruffi will get all the nutrients and vitamins that she needs.
Thanks for your help regarding that... Now I have another question :)

How do you teach old dogs new tricks? Scruffi seems so eager to play. but she seems like she has no interest in learning. She doesnt know even the basics: sit, stay, etc.

I know how to teach a puppy, but how do you teach a stubborn older dog?:pawprint:

Prin
February 1st, 2006, 09:59 PM
Sorry but neither are good foods. Like they said above, if you can get it in a grocery store, it's not good.

Look at the ingredients on this food made for little dogs and compare it with what you have at home: Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=68&code=140)
Feeding a better food will make the fur shinier and softer, the skin less itchy and healthier, along with keeping the teeth cleaner and the rest of the body in better shape.

As for wet, Jemma and Boo have never had softer stools from the wet. It's the same as the dry- you can't just pop it in the food suddenly and not expect an adjustment period. And if the ingredients don't agree with your dog, moisture or no moisture won't change that.

tami21267
February 7th, 2006, 11:31 PM
:) Thanks for all of your help.:pawprint:

loveyadogs
February 9th, 2006, 11:43 AM
may I ask what you use? or what yoou cook up for the dogs, at home?I am interested

Thank you:crazy:

tami21267
March 1st, 2006, 05:46 AM
After reading some of the posts around here, I went back to the vet and asked her again what she thinks. Our vet said that the food we are buying at the grocery store is very fatty, however, as long as its portioned with something like Science Diet or the Eukanuba dog foods, its fine to use. She said to use more dry than wet food, to get Scruffi used to the dry stuff. She also said that if Scruffi would rather have the wet, it may be because she has several loose teeth and her gums may be sore. So the wet foods may be easier for her to eat.

What I have been doing lately, is mixing the Science Diet dry food with some softened carrots and homemaking some gravy to soften the dry food with. Scruffi seems to like it and is eating just fine. Her coat is very soft, she is still a little itchy but not as much as before. I'm not sure if the itchy part is the diet change or the fact that we bath her in oatmeal shampoo.