Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Monkeys as pets?

Vas
January 25th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Hello there!

I was very shocked to learn about monkeys being sold here in Canada as pets or for any other purpose that I don't know. Is it legal ??

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 25th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I remember growing up being about 5 these friends of my parents had a monkey, I thought it was pretty cool at the time.

I think getting a monkey for a pet, would be similar to getting a wolf. Unpredictable and best left in the wild.

raingirl
January 25th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I don't agree with getting a monkey specifically as a pet, however, rescuing a monkey, say that was in a test facility, and if it can't be rehabilitated and had no where else to go, then sure. Sorta like dog rescue for monkeys!

I did some primate studies in school, so I know they are a handful! One of my courses was working with the Orangutans at the Toronto zoo...they are SOOO much fun and so interesting! Monkeys take way more mental stimulation than more children though...

I think there isn't a "general" law against monkeys in canada, only regional by-laws, and most places you can get a permit to keep one.

BMDLuver
January 25th, 2006, 08:17 PM
It is illegal to get monkeys as pets. You have to go through one heck of a rigamaroll to get a special permit to have one. Monkeys from labs have had all but 4 teeth removed so that they cannot seriously bite the technicians. They are not pets, nor should they ever be considered pets. They can do serious harm to a person. They are better left to foundations who are set up to properly care for them.

gdamadg
January 25th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Hmmm, I don't think I would want one as a pet. But as a disabled person, possible a "helper" monkey. Homer had the right idea, just went about it the wrong way.

Vas
January 25th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Personally I'm agaisnt having wild animals as pets, especially monkeys. It's the crime agaisnt the nature. They're suposed to be in the wild and government should do something about it.

jiorji
January 26th, 2006, 01:36 PM
dogs were once part of the wild too you know....until the man domesticated them. Same with a lot of other pets that currently live in people's houses today.

personally I don't think Iguanas or dragons should be pets either, or snakes. I'm sure they're all lovely but imagine living in a small box with fake rocks and a lightbulb to remind you of "home".

i think i'll stick with my cats :D

rivers
January 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Same goes to pet chinchillas, hedgehogs, prairie dogs, scorpions, tarantulas and sugar gliders.
Leave them in the wild. And don't get me started on BIRDS!

doggy lover
January 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I believe they are better off left where they came from. I knew someone that had a monkey (some kind of small one can't remember what kind), years ago and it was in a 4'x4' cage. I also remember that it attacked him once (wonder why) and it really did a number on him, I believe he got rid of it not long after. With other small caged pets each to their own, we could say the same about dogs and cats letting them run wild.

shannonRN
January 26th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I don't think it's fair to compare this to the domestication of dogs and cats. The domestication of dogs was a much more gradual process than what we do with monkeys, birds, etc. Wolves weren't just snatched from the wild one day and locked up in primitive man's hut and made into a pet. They lived closely together, developed a trust, then later on, we started messing with them, breeding them to our liking, and so on. For better or for worse.

doggy lover
January 26th, 2006, 04:27 PM
But most birds and lizards that you buy now have never been in the wild either, they have been raised from breeding stock that has also never been in the wild. I don't believe in catching a animal, reptile or bird from the wild and making it into a pet, but my lizard has always been a pet and so has his for-fathers. It is just like buying a puppy from a rep. breeder you can also buy these pets. Yes I could bring a snake home from my cottage but to me thats not fair is was raised into the wild.

In my lizards case yes he has very expensive lights to represent real sunlight, but in the summer he has a cage that I put him outside in. He also gets protien and vitamin supplements and the best of food available to him. He will also live a longer life, with no preditors to worry about, and if he gets ill there are vets for them too. He has a large cage with many levels for him to climb on and run around in. So how is he so hard done by?

gdamadg
January 26th, 2006, 04:55 PM
They lived closely together, developed a trust,

OMG, this is a THEORY, and only that. There is no way that the scientific community of today could know how we domesticated animals back then. I could go on about this, but it will just get me frustrated.

And back to the original topic of the thread, I can't believe no one picked up on my Simpson's comment. ;)

StaceyB
January 27th, 2006, 08:51 AM
I knew a couple years ago who had an ape named Brandy. I don't know how they aquired her but she was one of two in Canada. They are like 2 yr olds that never grow up. She was only 2 ft tall but is not as easy to care for as one would think. She eventually went to live in a zoo.