Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rage

Shamrock
January 25th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Was viewing an interesting program exploring three of the most common forms of encounters that result in eruptions of hostilities.. from shouting to violence to the deadly.

They probed disturbing incidents of:
Road rage
Workplace rage
Sports rage

Road rage is the most common scenario experienced - from both sides of the coin.

I am a pretty patient and forgiving driver, I'd say - try not to take it personally if another does something annoying/ stupid. I seldom ever use my horn.

If someone gets angry with me.. I rarely retaliate,verbally or otherwise. No sense making them madder.. they're obviously having a bad day.:D
Besides.. there's some scary people out there. You never know if they might be set to go "postal".

There have been a couple of instances though, where I just couldnt help myself. The need to "get even" overtook me. Though I would never do anything dangerous.. slamming brakes on, etc. I slowed to a crawl.. to deliberately frustrate Mr/Mrs Speed Demon tailgating me.
Another time I got into a shouting match over a parking spot. ( it was Christmas.. and I was there first)
Afterwards, I felt guilty for indulging in such immature behaviour.

How do you handle the road rage of others.. and your own?

Here is a little humorous quiz to rate your R.R. quotient. I scored an 8 - just a "little" rage creeping through.. pretty typical I'd say.

http://webhome.idirect.com/~kehamilt/rage.htm

I must admit too, in the past, I was frequently guilty of one of the "infractions'... putting on makeup in the car.;) while on the way to work.
Cant see why this should "enrage" anyone.:)

Least I'm not yakking on a cell phone, drinking a coffee.. AND applying makeup.:crazy:

jjgeonerd
January 25th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I got a 27. :eek:

I ride motorcycles and mountain bikes to channel my energy though so all is good! :thumbs up

Rick C
January 25th, 2006, 06:13 PM
How do you handle the road rage of others.. and your own?

When I lived in the city, I could be guilty of a bit of road rage . . . . . I'm a fast driver and I wasn't too patient with the place being overrun with slow-foots all the time.

Since I moved to the country eight years ago, that's disappeared. Just miles of four lane or two lane highway with lots of passing space. What's to worry about. Just blow by 'em man!!!

Even when I drive in the city these days I'm pretty patient, mostly, usually, because its a rare occasion.

Now my only problem is Off-Topic Board Rage. :highfive: :angel: :sorry:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Shamrock
January 25th, 2006, 09:37 PM
A bit off-topic,.. but here's a recent instance of "poodle rage" that occurred locally - all over a small dog being allowed in the ATM cubicle.

The photo shows the dog owner lying flat on his back on the floor - tiny dog standing on his chest.

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/story.html?id=0548bddc-3968-4b27-9d80-629f9453a7fa&k=62251

The man who threw the punch at the other has since turned himself in, after being advised by relatives his photo was captured clearly on the surveilllance cameras.
The fact that he had a young boy with him is disturbing. Great message he's sending there.:sad:

Prin
January 25th, 2006, 11:56 PM
I got a 27. But some things I don't consider road rage. Like slowing down to bug tail gaiters. What's ragey about that? They're the ones all hot and bothered, not me. And stereotyping drivers? That's not rage, that's common sense. Jimmy Seventeen is usually dangerous and if I see him coming, I'm going to get out of the way.;)

Luvmypit
January 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I got 16. But I found I would have answered something in between the B and C if there was the option. B is sometimes too timid and C sometimes too much.

I usually give people a quick wave to show my displeasure with them, ofcourse I only use one figure and I am not telling them their number one.

I only give the finger when people have a blatant disregard for others. I wont give the finger to the elderly or if their are kids in their car. I feel bad when I get all worked up and then I see its just an old guy putting along.

AliSam
January 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I got 19. I do get aggravated sometimes and tell people to "use their head" when driving. Tailgaters drive me crazy. If I am driving over the speed limit, I stay where I am. If I am driving the speed limit, I will move over and let them pass (actually, if I am driving the speed limit I won't be in the fast lane to begin with). Mostly I just rage inside my car.

jessi76
January 26th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I got a 37.

** glee-fully runs off to drive home from work now..... **

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 26th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Actually I didnt do the test because that would mean I would have to find a pen, which are all lost, which would get my blood pressure up and then the little vain next to my temple starts pulsating. :evil:

But I know I dont have a rage problem before tailgating those doing less than 150 k in the fast line, I do allow them a good 3 seconds. :D

Just kidding of course me personally I always drive in the slow lane unless I am passing.

raingirl
January 26th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I got 2?

I guess I'm too nice...

I never speed and I hate people who speed. I usually got the speedlimit, not over, not under...just exact. If people tail gate me I just stay where I am and let them move around me...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 26th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I got 12, but if someone doesnt go at a green light after a few seconds then I will honk but I wont yell it them, or give them the finger......but admitely someone honked at me the other day at green light as I was daydreaming for a few :) seconds.

Shamrock
January 26th, 2006, 11:08 PM
2, Raingirl?:) Ever consider becoming a driving instructor? Youv'e got patience to spare.

Glad someone got a lower score than me. I was beginning to wonder if I
was short on driving assertiveness.:D

I dont speed excessively, but try to keep up with the "flow"... which is usually 5-10 kms above the posted limit on non-residential streets, or on the freeway.

If someone flies up behind me, wanting to go much faster - I move over and let them by - "when" I can.
I just get livid by those who tailgate in an aggressive bid to get you to "speed up" in the interval.:mad:

Bearsmom
January 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM
For those who refuse to pull over to allow others to pass, in Ontario, that is a chargeable offence under the Highway Traffic Act.

The offence is also worth 2 points and a fine. People, be courteous, if you look in your rear view mirror, notice a line up of 500 cars, for God's sake pull into the right lane AND STAY THERE UNTIL YOU NEED TO PASS SOMEONE.

jjgeonerd
January 27th, 2006, 12:42 PM
People, be courteous, if you look in your rear view mirror, notice a line up of 500 cars, for God's sake pull into the right lane AND STAY THERE UNTIL YOU NEED TO PASS SOMEONE.

I 100% agree! Driving considerably slower than traffic is dangerous and irritates many people. Slow traffic should stay to the right. That's fine if someone doesn't agree with speeding and/or chooses not to (no one should drive faster than their comfort level), but it is law enforcement's job to regulate traffic flow.

Raingirl: I would recommend against driving in California. You WILL get a ticket (at least in the San Francisco or Los Angeles metro areas) for driving too slow.

HunterXHunter
January 27th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I scored a 27...

It says to take up some for m of sport to channel my energies, but I already do; I play basketball once per week fro 3 hrs all year round.

Also, my good buddies and I like to "induce" road rage once in a while by taking up all the lanes and going 10 below the limit. Does that make us twisted?....nah....:angel:

Bearsmom
January 27th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Well aside from blocking traffic that way being a dangerous thing (given all the gun violence in Toronto lately), the car occupying the left lane would be pulled over and charged. I suggest you and your buddies get something else to do with your time.

Shamrock
January 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I scored a 27...

It says to take up some for m of sport to channel my energies, but I already do; I play basketball once per week fro 3 hrs all year round.

Also, my good buddies and I like to "induce" road rage once in a while by taking up all the lanes and going 10 below the limit. Does that make us twisted?....nah....:angel:

I agree with Bearsmom on this, Hunter.
"Giving in" to road rage is one thing, and bad enough. Intentionally trying to provoke it entirely another

For the clips shown in the program I mentioned in my opening post - men beating each other senseless, smashing windshields.. and worse.. one was left incredulous,.. wondering - HOW did it come to this?
"Game" playing might be one answer.

You and your buddies might get more "reaction" than you counted on one day..

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 04:40 PM
For those who refuse to pull over to allow others to pass, in Ontario, that is a chargeable offence under the Highway Traffic Act.

The offence is also worth 2 points and a fine. People, be courteous, if you look in your rear view mirror, notice a line up of 500 cars, for God's sake pull into the right lane AND STAY THERE UNTIL YOU NEED TO PASS SOMEONE.
Heh heh, in Quebec, we call those "Ontario Drivers"...:o But I have noticed in recent years that they're getting better.

I dont speed excessively, but try to keep up with the "flow"... which is usually 5-10 kms above the posted limit on non-residential streets, or on the freeway.In Qc, the "flow" is usually up to 20kms above the limit. On some highways, everybody goes 140-150. That's why photo radar won't work in Quebec. They'd only be able to catch the top 15% supposedly, and in Quebec, that would be those who go 180...:D Ok, slight exaggeration, but we drive pretty fast here. Anybody from other provinces who drives through a construction zone here knows how recklessly arrogant we are.

Writing4Fun
January 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Heh heh, in Quebec, we call those "Ontario Drivers"...:o But I have noticed in recent years that they're getting better.
That's because there are more ex-Montrealers with Ontario plates. :eek: Did I just say that out loud??! :eek: :p

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: (I'm shocked and appauled!!:D )

raingirl
January 27th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I guess I'm just paranoid about getting a speeding ticket. One speeding ticket can add thousands to your insurance the three years after until it's off your record.

It's not like I drive slow either. I don't drive under the limit. I drive 100 in 100, 40 in 40..etc. I don't drive in the left lane either. Middle or right for me. But I won't move if I am going the speed limit and someone is tailgating me. Not my problem. If it's in on a multilane street, they can pass me. If it's on a single lane street, then they shouldn't be going fast and can wait (like school zone, etc). I know a lot of people who have got tickets for going only 3-5 over the speed limit, so I'm not taking a risk.