Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fat, sad, unactive? The myth about neutering/spaying

Okami
January 24th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Ok so I have heard numerous myths about the consiquences of neutering/spaying.
"your pet will get fat"
"I heard from a friend they don't grow anymore!"
"my friends pet was so unactive after they did it"
I can understand where the myth about unactiveness after neutering/spaying can come from (well duh it's inactive right after a neuter/spay you would be too if you were drugged, but it's only for a day)
Where do the rest of these myths come from?
I'm trying to despell all these rumours. Particularly the first one I listed, as my friend thinks spaying their cat is mean and will make it fat, and wants to declaw instead (boy do they have it mixed around).

Lucky Rescue
January 24th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Ridiculous and outdated notions and myths.

The only behaviors affected by spay/neuter are the ones that arise from testosterone and estrogen. Heat cycles, roaming and fighting in tomcats, and pregnancies are eliminated. Animals have no idea if they have testicles or a uterus, so the loss of same cannot make them "sad".

Dogs and cats get fat for the same reasons we do - too much food and not enough exercise.

Might be better to explain to these people the damage they do by leaving animals intact, particularly cats who will spend most of their lives in heat and miserable if not spayed.

Here's a site they might want to consider.
http://www.sniksnak.com/benefits.html

They might also like to contemplate that amputating a cat's toes is hardly natural or kind and not likely to make a cat happier.

Any vet who would declaw a cat and leave it intact is not very ethical.

Rottielover
January 24th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Fat , unactive... LOL, that is funny, Harley is opposite of that. If the owner gets lazy, then the dog will become those things, and destructive too

Writing4Fun
January 24th, 2006, 02:58 PM
My neighbour has two unneutered males on his hands right now. :mad: I've already explained to him that he's extremely lucky they are both so good-natured, or it could have been a disaster. The older on is already fat, which is contributing to/aggrivating his arthritis problems. So, clearly, "neutering does not equal fat", but rather "inactivity and too much food equals fat". What he is dealing with now is the constant humping that is going on (to the point that the dogs now spend most of their day outside because the wife can't handle two large dogs constantly wrestling underfoot), the occasional pee-fest on one of his sons' beds or in their hockey bags, and now the boys have gotten into the lovely habit of pulling on each others' wee-wees. :eek: :yuck:

Thankfully, they've listened to my rantings enough that they are going to get the younger one neutered as soon as they recover from the Christmas Cash Crunch. I'll let you know how "fat" he gets afterwards. ;)

ETA: Should have specified these are large dogs, not cats. Sorry!

joeysmama
January 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Ok, I read the title quickly and thought it said "fat, sad, and un ATTRACTIVE". And since I'm having one of those days I thought it was a thread about ME !!;)

But this is very timely as Cooper goes in on Thursday for his neutering and then begins his puppy kidnergarten classes on Monday (hopefully-I'm waiting to hear back that there is room for him)

It would never have occurred to me to NOT have my boy neutered. My only concern is how he will be feeling. But I've cleared my schedule so I can give him extra pampering and I have his favorite treat (wellness puppy food--CANNED !) on hand for him.

joeysmama
January 24th, 2006, 03:14 PM
PS--I'm not really fat ! LOL ! (Occasionally sad, and not feeling overly attractive today !)

Poe
January 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Not sure where the myth comes from, but I can tell you I have a neutered male and he sure does love to play. He never overeats and stays fit and healthy. Obese cats take in more calories than they burn off, that's all there is to it.

There are so many reasons to neuter a cat--just wait until it starts spraying or meowling in heat and no further encouragement will be necessary (one would hope).

Oh, and I didn't realize that claws were implicated in mating. Hmm... :crazy:

doggy lover
January 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM
My cat Cali is fixed and only weighs 6lbs, both of my dogs were neutered and they have never gotten fat, my other cat has gotten fat but she eats and sleeps all day so what do you expect.........Here is a pic of fat Cali

Shamrock
January 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM
lol, Joey'smama - I read this title the same way.:crazy:

Well, my cat was spayed six years ago, and hasnt gained an ounce.. a featherweight at 5 pounds. She's remained as active as she ever was, and certainly isnt sad.

These myths surrounding cats are such outdated notions.

As for the declawing....:evil: the only feline surgery that offers absolutely NO benefit to the cat.. just the potenial for lifelong adverse affects.

Okami
January 24th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Well I found out why they wanted to declaw their cat, it's because they didn't know how to trim his claws, and everytime the little furball takes a little play swipe at your skin it leaves deep clean cuts. They were so long they started to curve! Well I taught them how to trim properly (the owner wont declaw now). Hopefully I can convince them to spay now with this info, thanks guys!

Prin
January 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
With dogs, it does relieve stress. All the young intact males (i.e. 2-4 years old) that I've met always had this stressed look. Neutering removes that. They can just play and have fun without worrying about looking for a mate or frantically marking territory.

As for cats being fatter- if their only exercise was running after mates, then yeah, they might get fatter. But it's not their fault if they do- they should be doing more than that to begin with.

Stewart
January 25th, 2006, 01:44 AM
All myth I would say ! Both our male cats have been done and are not fat and as for dogs my female GSD is done and shes not fat either,In fact before she was nutured every time she came in the car with us she was sick (loves the car ) due to the excitement,But straight after the op and from then onwards has never been sick again and I believe its due to the fact that she became more generally calm she still gets excited at the prospect of a trip in the car but no more mess;)

mona_b
January 25th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Definately a myth.

My cats are s/n....Still active as ever....And not overweight...And my 2 were done at 8 weeks when I adopted them.One is a little over 2 and the other will be 2 in March.

My GSD was neutured at 6 months,and now almost 10 years old.He is still pretty active and no weight gain.Same with my 2 previous ones.

Good thing this myth doesn't hold for humans.....I'm still active and no weight gain.........:D :p

jawert1
January 25th, 2006, 07:31 AM
If that myth were true, I shudder to think of how active Simon was BEFORE he got snipped. I can barely keep up with mr. pointer as it is (cept for when he's passed out) :P