Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scared of Foodbowl.

Coetzer
January 24th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone,

Over the last two weeks, Tyson, my Jack Russel of 4 years showed that when he approach his foodbowl that he is scared to take food out of it. He will take his food which is dry out very quickly, and then start eating it outside of his bowl. I have changed bowls from metal to plastic to glass but no he really doesn't like to eat the food from the bowl. If I feed him by hand he surely will eat.... that is what I do not want. Even putting it on the carpet he will eat it all, the moment it's in the foodbowl he will lie and look at the food but will hardly touch it. As I said when he does he will take out a couple of pellets at the same time spit it out and then eat it away from the bowl. Is this just a phase.. I have had previous dogs and they never did that before!

Thank you

Jacques Coetzer

Prin
January 24th, 2006, 01:10 PM
What kind of bowl is it? Maybe if it's steel, it makes noise when he eats out of it and it scares him.

Coetzer
January 24th, 2006, 01:49 PM
The first bowl as metal. I changed it to China, then to plastic and then to clear glass again...

coppperbelle
January 24th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Are there tags on his collar that may be clanging against the dish when he eats? The noise may be frightening him.

raingirl
January 24th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I thought my dog was afraid of his bowl because he always seemed so scared to eat out of it. Turns out he was just afraid of where it was (in the kitchen) because it was too noisy. We put it outside the kitchen, and he was fine until we moved a large floor fan near it, which he was also afraid of. Now his food needs to be away from all tall things (he is afraid they will fall on him while eating). I admit that our paper towel roll holder fell on his head once while eating (the hook became unstuck) and that's when it all started (I felt SOOOO bad even though it was an accident).

Is there something near the bowl that fell on him while eating or something bad associated with eating?

Coetzer
January 25th, 2006, 07:16 AM
To everyone thanks for your respons. We have moved, changed and taken away any noismakers close to his foodbowl, I have in the meantime given him some treats in his food to bribe him eating from his bowl. I hope this will help. I am going away for a week and have someone who knows him very well looking after him, I am sure that after a couple of days me not being here he might go back to eating out of his bowl. I hope...