Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Had a scare last night

Rottielover
January 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Well as most of you know, I moved from my townhouse to an apt. Well when I signed the lease the supers new I had a rottweiler. Not happy about it, but they trusted me.
But here in quebec when you lease they prefer not to write dogs allowed because for legal reasons. if complaints want to have the option of getting rid of the dog.
Anyways....I was going up the stairs in the lobby with Harley and Kayla, and poof out of no where shows the actual owner of the building.
I was worried because he did not know there were dogs here, especially a rott. I kept my cool, placed Harley in a sit, and he approached me.
This is how it went.
" what breed of dog is this"
ME It is a rottweiler
"Do you know they are a viscous breed"
ME " ( keeping cool) They are as viscous as any other breed in the wrong Hands"
Does he play with your daughter "
ME " No he is too large, and can accidently knock her down "
" does he listen to you, can you control him at all times"
Me" Would you like to see the control, Harley sit. Lie down, get up, stay, stand, and paw" Good boy Harley. You can ask neighbors he never barks and no complaints"
" I will just do that"
As he was saying this the super came down the stairs. The owner asked if their has been any complaints, the super then delightfully said, this guy he is really quiet, and clean.
Just as he said this, a couple with a tiny little chi comes down the stairs..... That dog I have many complaints about.
I Then proceeded to go upstairs, and breathe again. He now knows I own a rottweiler, and has no problems with it, All because Harley showed control and restraint. I am so proud of my BOY. for not going through his teenage I am not listening phase.
My mom said he read my tension and preformed very well because of it.
Thank you Harley

Lucky Rescue
January 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
That's great. I can only imagine how you feel living in an apt. with a Rottie these days with this dog insanity going on.

What is also great is that this guy showed some common sense and decided to base his decision on the individual dog instead of being brainwashed by the media hysteria.

Very nice, and Harley - good boy!:)

Rottielover
January 24th, 2006, 10:46 AM
He literally drilled him to show that he could be controlled, which I had no problem showing him at all. It did not change his mind at all about the breed, he is still hesitant, but will look past it based on Harley's good behaviour.
I would be bad for him to lose a tentant that pays on time, and the crazy rent they charge.
I was just so scared, I would have had to move again.
I would never give him up, My daughter and myself would be devastated. So Not going to happen.
At least I no longer have to worry about the owner

poodletalk
January 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I have a few neighbours who have rotties in apartments, the rotties give no problems in the apartments. It tends to be the smaller dogs who give the problems, endless barking!

Rottielover
January 24th, 2006, 11:17 AM
where do you live poodle talk. In the west island I think there are about 10 pure rotts, and 6 of them came from BYB. Maybe if something happens we will move near you, LOL

coppperbelle
January 24th, 2006, 01:04 PM
My MIL lives in an appartment where dogs are not suppose to be allowed but both the super and owner turn their heads when they see a dog. Actually she said that the super's son has a dog. Her upstairs neighbor had a shepherd x last year. It wasn't his fault but he was let out to pee on the gallery. Guess where the urine went when it leaked through. I was so disgusted I called the owner and told him that if he didn't fix the problem I was going to make a big deal of it. My MIL could not sit out on her deck for fear that she would be leaked on. They rectified the problem by moving out of the building. Now my MIL is saying that with the warmer temperatures and melting snow the main entrance to the building is covered in poop. She said people are tracking it into the building. She even saw the super's son cover his dogs poop with snow the other day rather than pick it up. My MIL is moving out at the end of her lease but the problem will still be there for the rest of the tenants. All it takes are a few irresponsible pet owners to ruin it for those who take care of their pets.