Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hamilton \ burlington spca

wdawson
January 23rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
read in the hamilton spectator today,the hamilton animal control wants to hire a private company to go door to door checking for animal licences and they are going to pay them 30% commission........can't wait for the municipal elections. how much harrasment are people going to have to endure from commission hungry reps. how are they going to enforce this , are the reps going to have animal control powers , and if not then how can the city afford to enforce this when they are already complaining about the cost of the bsl download from the province.

BMDLuver
January 23rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
I don't really see a problem with that. When we lived in Fenwick, there was a guy who came around and did the same thing. He went farm to farm asking how many dogs and gave you a license for them. Personally I thought it was great.. at least somewhere there was a record of tracking a lost dog. Plus he reminded me annually so I never had to worry about it.

mona_b
January 23rd, 2006, 10:34 PM
I don't really see a problem with that.

I'm sorry,but I have to agree.

So they have to bring someone in,big deal...Having your dog/cat licenced is the law...And if this is a way to nab the ones not obeying it,then so be it..You break the law,you pay...Simple as that...It's about time they cracked down on it.

I just can't see the big deal for not having them licenced...Would it not be better to have one so if your dog gets loose and they pick him up,they can at least call you and you can get your dog???.Makes sence to me....Yes they can loose the tag,this is why it's also good for you to have them chipped.

Also,just to make something clear,the hamilton spca is not apart of the animal control....:)

Prin
January 23rd, 2006, 10:39 PM
I'd rather have a guy check up on the licenses once in a while- right now, we pay for them and nobody ever checks so it hardly makes it worth it.;)

mona_b
January 23rd, 2006, 11:10 PM
I'd rather have a guy check up on the licenses once in a while- right now, we pay for them and nobody ever checks so it hardly makes it worth it.;)

That's because they have you on file stating your dogs are licenced....;)

If they have you in their system,then they won't be knocking on your door.:D

Prin
January 23rd, 2006, 11:16 PM
Well then, what's the point?!:D Frankly I doubt that Montreal was that organized...:) I still haven't gotten my 2006 licences. Laval ones are more expensive than Montreal ones...:( I think they're $27/dog.

mona_b
January 23rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
I think the point is to nab the ones who have dogs unlicenced.:p

domesticzookeep
January 24th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I wonder about the commission concept, though...????(I wonder if the cost collected by previously unlicensed dogs would pay for this, or ??)

Hamilton Animal Control left me a notice on my door back in the Fall threatening me with a $100 (give or take??) fine if I did not renew my dog license w/in the next 48 or 72 hrs. (They came by about a month after it was due.)

While they had no way of knowing (I guess I was supposed to notify them??) it was still very upsetting when I had to phone to explain to them the reason I did not renew was b/c 'my girl' was PTS a few months prior after rounds of chemo failed to control her lymphoma :sad:

So....they are def'n trying to take care of the dogs they know about - and I'm guessing this is how they are proposing to take care of the ones they don't know of.... I know I often see the vans down by Pier 4/Bayfront Park in the summer time, too.

I just wish they would bring the Animal Control back under the SPCA jurisdiction - as Mona indicated, they are two seperate entities.... (even though some of the services are run out of the same bldg...)
Animal Control does not have the same mandate wrt 'no kill' as the SPCA....

Signing off from the 'hammer..
C.

wdawson
January 24th, 2006, 06:01 PM
zookeeper
bayfront park is a great place to kill time out of sight while working(i do it too:o ) when there in the warm weather take notice of how many city,hydro,animal control and other work trucks are there.

domesticzookeep
January 24th, 2006, 08:11 PM
...and here I am thinking they are looking for off-leash dogs or checking licenses......

....silly, naive, little me :angel:

C.