Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heart question...

Prin
January 23rd, 2006, 01:37 AM
Anybody ever get heart "thumps"?
Like your heart is beating normally and every now and then there is a thump out of sinc with the beats?
Does anybody know what it is?
It seems my brothers and my dad have it, too, but doctors always seem to brush it off as stress or whatever, but that doesn't tell me anything. I figured I would ask you all hoping maybe somebody has had them before and had a good doctor...:o

shannonRN
January 23rd, 2006, 03:05 AM
Sounds like palpitations to me. Common to just about everyone sporadically, and more frequent in folks with thyroid conditions. Stress, anxiety, and caffeine can bring them on. Palpitations are common to lots of different cardiac diseases, dysrhythmias, valve problems...and some of those conditions are linked to thyroid disease as well.

If you've talked to your doc and s/he he really thinks it's innocuous, well, it's tough to know where to go next. If this is really happening on a common basis, I think you should pursue an EKG. Just to let you know my thoughts on it---I have palpitations on rare occasions, it's alarming, but it's probably nothing. I've never seen my doc about it. If one of my patients without a diagnosed dysrhythmia told me they were experiencing something like that, I would call their MD, listen to what they have to say, then press them to order an EKG. My 2 cents :)

joeysmama
January 23rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
I get these. I go through times when I don't get them at all and times when they are happening frequently. They don't seem to happen when I am partiularly stressed. But I've had times when they've happened and I thought it was because I had recently handled a stressful situation and my body was reacting after the fact. Just my own theory. Most times there is jut no rhyme or reason to them.

I have mitral valve prolapse, which is fairly common and I imagine they are related to that. I've had two episodes in the past 15 years where they were particularly bothersome, happening every minute or so and being pretty strong. The second time I went through that I was put on a heart monitor for 48 hours or something like that. I've had EKG's as well.

On the upside---if I happen to mention that I am bothered by them Tom does seem a little more solicitous. I'm not above using what I can to get out of drying the dishes.;)

SnowDancer
January 23rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
I also have the mitral valve prolapse. Very common in women. No meds required. I also have perfect blood pressure - stress is not a trigger for me. Of course usually I get the palpitations at 4:00 a.m. Diagnosis can be made with a simple test. Important thing is to have it diagnosed in event of surgery or similar procedure (some dental work) as should the valve slam shut hard during the procedure, the resulting drop of blood could result in blood poisoning. I have to take a huge dose of penicillin before and after such procedures. Funny that I can take penicillin when I am allergic to just about everything else. There is some other form of antibiotic for those allergic to the penicillin.

Prin
January 23rd, 2006, 02:19 PM
My doctor said they weren't palpitations... He said palpitations were the heart seemingly beating loudly, but constantly. I call them palpitations anyway...;)

Some days they get scary- where it thumps and then it pounds in my head. :eek: It's painful but also very scary because I don't know what is going on. My beta blockers that I was taking for my thyroid were helping but I'm supposed to wean off them soon (I'm down to a 1/2 a 20mg pill once a day) and the palpitations are coming back quite strong.

After my dad had had them his whole life, they finally just put him on beta blockers now... But I don't want to be on pills my whole life. Maybe I'll push for the EKG...

mona_b
January 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I would definately go for the EKG's..And I would talk to your doctor about hooking you up to a Holter Moniter.

My daughter was recently put on one of those for 24 hours.What it does is it moniters your heart.She is having some issues with hers.Sounds simular to what you are going through..She even had to wear it while in school.They told her to keep doing what she normaly does through out the day.When she dropped it off at the hospital they put the chip in the computer.They did notice some activity that happened around 12:30am....We are still trying to figure out what is going on...This is an on again off again thing that has been happening for some time now.

Could any of this been started because of the Meds?

Prin
January 24th, 2006, 11:52 AM
I think it started because of the thyroid, but it isn't going away with the meds. I'll ask next week. I'm going for another blood test.

happycats
January 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I get them too, but find many different meds bring them on (or so it seems) like Sudafed, Sinutab, and most recently I noticed Advil caused it. (I normally take Tylenol, so had never used Advil before).

meb999
January 24th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I get them...actually I get all kinds of weird stuff with my heart. My doctors say it's anxiety (I have an anxiety disorder).
I get palpitations, which I don't really mind much 'cause they don't hurt, they just feel weird. But I also get what I call mini-heart attacks. They're a little scarier. I think it's the same as what you're describing, Prin. It's painfull. I get a sharp, very sharp, pain in my chest for like a few seconds -- so painfull I can't even breathe, but as quickly as it came it goes away.....
I should probably get one of those heart monitoring thingies...but it happens so rarely that I don't bother.....

jawert1
January 24th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Same here, though when my dr put a monitor on me, they stopped and it couldn't be captured. I figured I do enough to constitute a regular stress test with no trouble that they can't be all that harmful.