Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leash Training

kpetting
January 22nd, 2006, 03:27 PM
My two month old puppy hates the leash. When I put it on her she whines like I am trying to kill her and she will throw herself around or lay straight down. I have let her drag it around the house the past few days but as soon as I pick it up she spazzes out. Does this take a long time or is it something she'll never like?

Lucky Rescue
January 22nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Get her to associate the leash with something wonderful. If she has a special kind of toy she loves, or a treat (very small morsels) - then she ONLY gets these special things when you pick up the leash. Don't even let her see you dispense anything.

You pick up the leash and tiny bits of hot rain out of the air. Her conclusion - "Wonderful things happen when my mom picks up my leash".

Then you can work on picking up the leash and gently guiding her to you, where she gets something great. Get a friend or family member to sit on the floor opposite you, and take turns holding the leash and calling her to you and make sure you praise and give treats when she comes uncomplainingly.

Dogs do what works for them. If being leashed and guided results in pleasant things, they'll soon learn to love it.:)

mummummum
January 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
What kind of collar are you using and how snug/loose does it fit ? I'm just thinking it may not be the leash. If it's the wrong type/size/fit of collar she may be objecting to the feel of the collar on her throat when she is attached to the leash.

kpetting
January 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
It is a medium size collar that i can fit my three fingers in between it and her neck. It is nylon and it buckles on. Maybe I should get her a harness and see how that works.

StaceyB
January 22nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
If she likes toys then I would place her on her leash and then walk and squeak the toy forward for her to follow. Use your voice to encourage her to move forward. She will get used to it but I would use it for everything, going out to the washroom, walks, play, etc. You can even tie something to the end so that there is a little pressure on her when she walks, the same as when you walk her holding the leash.

mummummum
January 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
It is a medium size collar that i can fit my three fingers in between it and her neck. It is nylon and it buckles on. Maybe I should get her a harness and see how that works.

You might try snugging it up to 2 fingers. Is it a flat collar and is it wide enough (I can't see your doggie from here...:rolleyes: ) so that it restrains rather than saws into her neck? Six months might be a little young for a harness - plus they are a pain & 1/2 to get on and off a squiggly-wiggly puppy. I went the harness route when my grrrrls were ummm I think 1 1/2 maybe 2 yrs and even then it was a major event getting them into the darned things in the morning when I was still half snoring and they were whip-crazy to get out and pee.

tenderfoot
January 23rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
She has learned that arguing with the leash works - you let go or just let her drag it around. She is resisting the pressure that she feels on the collar caused by the leash.
Our response to this is get her over it quickly - no muss no fuss.
Do this exercise on carpet so she has traction. Start by having the leash attached to her and holding on to the other end. Face her with your body. Now put a little bit of pressure on the leash pulling towards you. She will likely flip out and become a drama queen. DO NOT let up on the leash - just pull gently and steadily. She is going to fight and fight. Don't give in. You are not hurting her she is causing all of her own unhappiness. The micro-second that she takes a step towards you LOOSEN the leash instantly and praise her in a very happy tone. Then start again. Do this repeatedly until the slightest pressure from the leash and she steps forward towards you. You now have a leash trained pup. She has learned that arguing doesn't work and coming towards you (& the pressure) feels good.
This drill can be done in minutes - do not think it should take hours or even days to train her.