Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs and house plants

Kell2000
January 22nd, 2006, 01:10 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to all of this but I have a question maybe someone can help me with....I have a small house dog and she loves to dig up my house plants. Any chance she gets, she will dig up most of the soil and expose the roots. As far as I know, she is not eating the roots or plant. I just would like some advise on how to stop this and perhaps someone knows why she is doing this....Thank you for your time and help I hope:o

mummummum
January 22nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
Mine don't bother the plants anymore but give them a chance outside and they will dig their way to Timbuktuu. They just love to dig. Sand, snow, dirt, piles of leaves - you name it they'll dig in! I take it these are floor plants and putting them up and out of harm's way isn't an option. What about buying some of those decorative stones and putting a couple of inches of rock on top of the soil ? If the pots are big enough you could put a saucer of vinegar in it - the smell will drive her away. I imagine she does this only when you are out so correcting her behaviour on the spot isn't possible. Is she a puppy ? Is this the only "bad" behaviour she exhibits while you are out?

NICKY
January 24th, 2006, 05:36 AM
my cat used to chew on my plants when we first put them in the house, that would have been when he was about 8 months old.

i put pepper on the leaves and even though i lost that particular plant, i have since replaced it with a new plant and he hasnt gone near it.

the rock idea sounds good though to stop the digging :thumbs up

mona_b
January 24th, 2006, 07:41 AM
My dogs never touched the plants...BUT my Calico as a kitten was forever digging then laying in the soil.So what I did was put some water mixed with the vinager and sprayed in on the plant leaves and soil.She stopped it pretty quick.And after 2 weeks of doing this,I didn't have to continue.And after 4 years she has never tried it again...:D

Kell2000
January 24th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Thank you for your wonderfull ideas...I'm gonna try the rocks...Thank you all once again....;)