Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can cats cry?

Okami
January 22nd, 2006, 02:12 AM
Is it possible for cats to cry like cry tears, not howling or anything.

Beetlecat
January 22nd, 2006, 12:56 PM
Cats can tear up the same we we do when we have something caught in an eye. But that is a physical/medical reason. I don't think they cry like humans do for emotional reasons.

Humans are much more gregarious than cats, so we show more emotions (and in different ways) than them but I cannot immedietly think of any animal, that I know of, to cry like a human. Do monkey cry?

Okami
January 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
I'm asking because I saw something the other day that was really odd. I went to a friends house that has a 3 month old female kitten. I was there to trim it's nails, while I was trimming it the poor little guy started tearing up. When I let her go she stopped tearing, then when I was holding her and she was stuggling to jump out of her arms, she started tearing again when I wouldn't let her go.

Isn't this weird? This is the first time I've seen a cat ever react this way.

NICKY
January 24th, 2006, 05:32 AM
was the cat a Persian or Himalayan breed?

heres an article on

Epiphora in Cats
By: Dr. Noelle McNabb

http://www.petplace.com/cats/epiphora-in-cats/page1.aspx

quite interesting reading :)

Okami
January 24th, 2006, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure what breed it is, I think it's a mix of some sort. :( I'll try to find a picture but for now I'll try to describe it. It's orange black and white, it has white paws, belly and chest, the backside of it is dark orange with 3 large black vertical stripes from the shoulder to its black tail. However this kittens litter did not look at all the same, some were pure black, and some where calico. I wouldn't be surprised if it had some health issues after all this little guy was saved from a home of a byb(he was taken free of charge).

NICKY
January 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM
if you read that article above it just says that some breeds of cats have unusual tear ducts and this could cause the "crying" :)

thats why i asked what breed it was.... perhaps if it is a mixed breed, it may have something like the article says?....

domesticzookeep
January 24th, 2006, 06:10 PM
strange timing for the post.....yesterday's useless piece of trivia on my daily calendar was about mammals that had the ability to cry (ie. emotional based, rather than as mentioned, a physical need...)

Now, while I would hardly ever source the "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" calendar as the best source of info - it indicated only elephants and sea otters are known to "cry" similar to humans....

Ahhh, yes.....everyday I get to fill my mind w/ really useless info....:p

C.