Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP!! 16 month old dog still pees in his kennel

KarinG
January 21st, 2006, 06:05 PM
I have a yellow male lab who is 16 months old. I crate him during the day. He still pees in his kennel. Is this normal? He doesn't have access to water while he's crated. At night he's really great and can hold it for 10-12 hours - he sleeps in the bedroom and is not crated. Why is the day any different? I can leave him alone (uncrated) for 3-4 hours and he's fine. He's well mannered and I can trust him to roam the house. I only crate him when I'm gone for extended periods b/c I can't trust he won't have an accident. When I'm at home during the day he's not crated and we take potty breaks every 4-5 hours. What can I do to help him learn to "hold it" during the day like he does at night? Is this something he can learn, or is it too late?

Lucky Rescue
January 21st, 2006, 07:12 PM
I only crate him when I'm gone for extended periods

And how long is he crated during these "extended periods"? How many hours?

We can also "hold it" for 8 - 10 hours at night when we sleep, but not for that many hours during the day when we are up and active.

Also, withholding water from a dog for extended periods could result in bladder problems, crystals etc.

StaceyB
January 21st, 2006, 10:21 PM
Night time training is completely different from daytime because your dog is sleeping through the night and not during the day, they are awake or even active.

I pretty much have the same questions that have been asked. How long is your dog crated during the day? Some dogs can hold it if they really have to but it is really dangerous for them. If you are gone for more than 8-9 hours then this is your reason for the accidents. You should have another plan to deal with it rather than trying to teach them to hold it, daycare, dog walker, or someone to stop by during the day to let him out.

Dogs should never be restricted water, night or day. Food yes, water, no.
How big is the crate in comparison to him?
If it is too large he will be able to go at one end and sleep at the other without touching it.

jewelsmommie
January 21st, 2006, 10:46 PM
You lab is 16 months old and pees his kennel? Now here are some questions

do you take your dog out before you crate him up?
does he have a blanket in there that smells like pee?
sometimes it takestime for them to learn not to pee in there!
how long are you leaving him in the crate when you say long periods of time?
your dog should only be in a crate 8 hours the most without them wanting to having a need to pee. my yellow lab is in a crate at night and when i leave to go to the store or whatever and then right outside when i get home. so she knows and when she does go potty outside after being in the kennel(crate) i tell her good girl while she is going outside and that so helps.. she is alot older but I have always told her that since she was a baby..

:love: