Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy stopped using puppy pad and is using area rug

kpetting
January 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM
I have a 2 month old Rottweiler German Shepherd mix. She was used to going on the puppy pads since I got her and she never went anywhere else. Now all of a sudden, just in my bedroom, she pees on the area rug and not the puppy pad, or she pees on the hard wood floor right behind the puppy pad. I moved the TV around so its stand is where the old puppy pad was and where she would pee on the hardwood floor but what do I do with the area rug? Do I just get rid of it, or should I put a puppy pad there so she pees on it and not the rug?

Also I take her out all the and she has gotten better about whining when she needs to go poop but what else can I do to get her off the puppy pads and only go outside. Everyone says I should crate her but when we aren't here she is baby gated into the kitchen. Is this enough or should I crate her when we aren't here and when she sleeps? Right now she sleeps on a blanket next to my bed but I may have to make her sleep in the kitchen being baby gated...the only problem with that is i won't hear her whine if she needs to go potty. HELP I love her to death but my patience is wearing thin.

Lucky Rescue
January 23rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
If your patience is wearing thin with an 8 week puppy not being housetrained, there's going to be a problem.

Do not use puppy pads. Teach her to go outside always. To do this, you must take her out a LOT. Every time she eats, sleeps, plays, gets up from a nap and during the night too. When you can't watch her, confine her or attach her to you with a leash. That way, you'll see any signs of her needing to go and can rush her outside. Stand there and praise like crazy when she goes.

You have to prevent mistakes. You're encouraging her to pee in the house, and this will make housetraining very hard since to her eliminating indoors is the right thing to do. Very confusing for a tiny puppy.

wdawson
January 24th, 2006, 06:34 PM
when we got beathoven he was 7 weeks old , we always had atleast one eye on him at all times , 10 minutes after every drink or nibble of food he was taken outside and we stayed there till the deed was done (try playing with him when out , being active may speed things up a bit) we also did not feed him 1\2 hour or a little more before bed , then we crated him for the night , we put the crate in the hall outside the bedrooms , that way we would here the 4am whines , we also asked my parents to doggie sit during the day when we where at work....worked out very well only about 2-3 piddles and he is 9mths now and piddle free.........hope you can find a solution that works for you and the pup......good luck