Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need opinion

raingirl
January 20th, 2006, 09:26 PM
We have our bulldog meetup group tomorrow. It's held at a large doggy day care (in a large warehouse).

We have found that Odin hasn't done all that well at these meetups so far. He is fine at the dogpark or when the meetups are outside in a large space, but in backyards or indoors, he doesn't do all that well.

Basically, if any of the other dogs want to play, its like Odin either doesn't want to or doesn't know how, and a big growling nipping thing happens.

It's almost as though Odin would prefer the other dogs just leave him along. He has no interest in playing with the other bulldogs at all. He loves playing with larger dogs he can chase, so maybe that's why? bulldogs usually just want to wrestle.

We really love to see all the other bulldogs and speak with the owners, but the whole thing just gets ruined when the other dogs won't leave him alone (they keep coming back wanting to play and provoking him) and we just end up having to keep him on leash away from everyone.

Should we just forget about it or press on hoping he will just get used to it?

I was also thinking that tiredness might play a roll, as the meetups are usually 2 pm when Odin is usually fast asleep. What if we played him hard in the morning and let him nap all day until the meetup? Do you think he would be less testy.

The other thing is..maybe we are too chicken. Is this normal doggy behaviour? Everyone keeps telling us that they need to "work it out" and that they are just playing but I have no idea.....

Lucky Rescue
January 20th, 2006, 10:20 PM
If Odin doesn't want to play with these dogs at this location, why force him? Just take him to outdoor locations where he enjoys himself.

Everyone keeps telling us that they need to "work it out"

Very dangerous advice when dealing with bulldogs.

Prin
January 21st, 2006, 02:09 AM
I say don't force him, too. When they aren't comfortable to begin with, they tend not to mellow out.

shannonRN
January 21st, 2006, 02:31 AM
Doesn't seem like there's really any point in pushing the issue. If Odin's otherwise a pretty well-socialized doggie, then the gathering is probably more for your benefit than for his anyway. Maybe meet up with one or two of the owner's at a more ideal location and try it that way if you want. Or you could just go 'sans bulldog' and admire everyone elses' pooches.

BoxerRescueMTL
January 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM
I agree with not pushing the issue. I would love to go to the dog park with Vegas and spend hours there chatting with other owners, but unfortunately he just doesn't like it. It gets too busy and there's always a dog or two that rub him the wrong way. So now we just have to have playtimes with dogs that I know he'll get along with. Tuff luck for me, but maybe one day I'll have a "dog park" kinda dog..

raingirl
January 21st, 2006, 09:27 PM
We didn't end up going. Instead we took a car ride to St. Jacobs to the farmer's market. Ended up finding a nice little pet store that had soft training size salmon treats WITH NO PRESERVATIVES! They are great!

Prin
January 22nd, 2006, 12:52 AM
LOL I'm glad it all worked out in the end.:D