Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where do you keep the dog toys?

rivers
January 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
One of the great things about getting a puppy, was that my 2 boys learnt to pick up their toys off the floor, otherwise Ebony would chew it. So I was rather happy about this, I didn't have to pick the toys up anymore...

Now I have puppy toys all over the floor instead! I find myself picking up these toys all day and putting them back in a basket, but soon afterwards they are strewn all over the floor again. Not because puppy is doing it, but my boys!!:evil:

So what is the solution? What do you do with the dog toys, so you don't trip over them?

mafiaprincess
January 20th, 2006, 10:52 AM
There's a plastic bin in the room she is in most often. I pick up her toys, put them away, and she goes and finds what she wants later.

In the evening I pick up her stuff and put it away for the next day. Ususally she only pulls out what she wants, so it isn't a mess..

Bushfire2000
January 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM
In their dog box (aka crate) that's also where we find lost keys, socks, tea towels, mitts and touques. They(the dogs) put their own toys away and only bring them out when they want to play. My boys have also learned to keep their toys put away and bedroom doors closed. (the boys rooms are still a mess but anywear the dogs can go the boys pick up)
Also I don't let the dogs have all their toys at once. I rotate them so they don't lose interest and there is always something new to play with.

SchnauzerGirl
January 20th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I have a coffee table / basket that I use for a toy box for Schultz. Instead of the lid being on top of the basket top, I have flipped the table over on its side and put the table lid on the side of the basket so that I can still use it as an end table and Schultz can root around in the actual basket. Sometimes he actually digs in there to pull out what toy he wants and there ends up being toys everywhere. I find that I am constantly picking up after the dog, so I generally only do it about twice a day!

I do have his old toys tucked away in his old crate in the storage room so when I go into the storage room he loves to dig around in his old crate and pull out a few toys to take with him into the living room. Keeps things new and interesting (and believe me, he has way too many toys to play with, but at least he doesn't chew or play with anything else other than his toys!).

jessi76
January 20th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I have an old wooden crate (I think it's an anitque soda crate) that we keep Tucker's toys in. well, the ones he's allowed to have left out (kong, bones, 1 ball, a nylabone, and some other strange thing he hasn't managed to destroy).

All toys that are fuzzy, stuffed, squeeky, have arms/legs that can be chewed, rope, etc... get kept on the top shelf of a closed closet. There are MY toys - basically I giveth and I taketh away.

Then there is the infamous cabinet of misfit toys. Contains all the mangled (but still play-worthy) toys. toys that are missing legs, arms, eyes, ears, de-fuzzed, de-stuffed, de-squeeked, etc.

Dog Mom
January 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I've got all the toys in a small laundry basket, they are usually pretty good about only taking a couple out at a time.

meb999
January 20th, 2006, 02:05 PM
everywhere...the floor, his crate, on the sofa....Yesterday I found his Kong in the fridge -- I must have wanted to fill it and got distracted and put it in there.... It's not easy beeing blonde!

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 02:09 PM
There's a plastic bin in the room she is in most often. I pick up her toys, put them away, and she goes and finds what she wants later. I do that too. But I only pick them up when I'm sweeping and they're not looking. As soon as they see me put a toy away, they take it out again...

StaceyB
January 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM
We have a toy box at home but I like the one at my shop the best. It is an antique trunk.

rivers
January 20th, 2006, 08:56 PM
thanks everyone for your ideas. I'll have to train the boys it seems!:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 20th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Joey takes full responsibility for his toys. He knows if he goes and burys a kong in the back yard he doesnt get another one until his treat day. :evil:

Truthfully Joey keeps his toys in his bed. Along with some other things that he considers his toys.

Its hard to tell which end is which in this pick, but this is generally where all his toys end up, and some of our toys as well. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 20th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Just had to take another to make sure he still has his front end. :D

Joey puts other things in there as well. The other day we found the remote for the tv in there. :D

rivers
January 20th, 2006, 09:20 PM
too funny! Once I did pile all the toys lying around, into her bed, and she wasn't too happy when she went to go and lie down. I could see her struggeling to get comfy, as if she was saying 'd**n plastic thing under my b*tt, move it!'. lol I had to help her to remove most of them, and then she was happy.

shannonRN
January 20th, 2006, 11:44 PM
You mean there's another option besides leaving them everywhere and tripping over them all the time? It never occurred to me...

We pick them up to sweep or vacuum and anything potentially dangerous goes on top of the fridge when we're getting ready to leave for the day, but other than that....watch your step.

joeysmama
January 20th, 2006, 11:47 PM
The toys are all over the floor. I try to rotate them out so he always has something he hasn't seen in a while. I keep the ones he's not playing with in a basket in the closet. The one day I was getting something out of the closet and he started barking and I took out one toy and he kept barking, so I took out a different one and he kept barking until I got to his stuffed snowman. That's the one he wanted !!

But at the end of the day the house looks the way it did when I had toddlers.:)

StaceyB
January 20th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I teach my advanced students how to teach their dogs to pick up their toys and put them away.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 21st, 2006, 12:02 AM
Stacey B
=I teach my advanced students how to teach their dogs to pick up their toys and put them away.

Where do they put them, and what if they just do it anyways. :D

jesse's mommy
January 21st, 2006, 12:04 AM
We have a basket for Jesse's toys, but the toys stay in there for no more than 30 seconds. I've actually gone and picked up her toys, put them in the basket, turn my back, turn back around to see Jesse picking up the basket and flinging it across the room to dump her toys out. She also occassionally does this with her kibble bowl too. She just gets these urges to pick them up and throw them to see how far the stuff goes. :evil:

I say she takes after daddy and just likes making more work for mommy!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 21st, 2006, 12:09 AM
jese's mommy =She also occassionally does this with her kibble bowl too. She just gets these urges to pick them up and throw them to see how far the stuff goes.

Joey does this to he will pick up his dish and dump it both the food and the water, His new thing now is standing at the top of the stairs with his food dish, letting go and watching it fall down the stairs.

StaceyB
January 21st, 2006, 12:12 AM
We have them use anything that will hold toys and is low enough to put them in like a basket or a tote.

jesse's mommy
January 21st, 2006, 12:13 AM
That just made me laugh out loud. I needed that.

Thankfully we don't have stairs. I don't think it would take Jesse too long to figure that one out.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 21st, 2006, 08:15 AM
jesses mommy,

That just made me laugh out loud. I needed that.

Thankfully we don't have stairs. I don't think it would take Jesse too long to figure that one out.

it is kind of funny, my kids always say "Mommy Joey threw his dish down the stairs again" and then he looks at you like, well at you like arent you gonna pick it up.

Stacey B what command do you use for putting the toy away, I guess you could away, or back, clean up. :D

StaceyB
January 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
There are many steps to this trick but once done many of their toys are labelled so they are cued to go pick up say their ball and put it away.

rivers
January 21st, 2006, 10:05 AM
Any possibilty of teaching the advanced students to pick up the dog toys? I'll send my kids right over! :D

glasslass
January 21st, 2006, 06:22 PM
We pile the toys into a wicker dog bed, sans cushion. It holds all the toys and has an entrance for easy access to the toys. It's funny to watch them go to the toy basket to paw through them while trying to decide which one will entice us to play.

mafiaprincess
January 21st, 2006, 09:55 PM
Cider steps into the plastic bin when she can't reach something. Stands inside it with 2 or 4 paws, and looks at you, like 'hey lady, I can't reach my toy!'