Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tail Pulling

Dog Mom
January 20th, 2006, 08:19 AM
One of our dogs (Punkin) has gotten into the habit of pulling the other dogs's tails when they are playing, it's like she's trying to play tug o war. When the other dog she's got a hold of stops she just keeps on pulling untill myself or hubby goes over to make her stop. I've tried telling her "no pulling", she knows the leave command but nothing is helping. I'm sure that this a dominance thing. what should I do?

StaceyB
January 20th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I have a dog who comes to daycare that pulls tails. She doesn't do it to play tug. She does it to get a chase. The only one she now does it to is my dane because he chases her and that is what she is looking for.

Dog Mom
January 20th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Punkin does it to all 4 other dogs. Usually when she does it the other dog will sit down but she still pulls like crazy. Some times she pulls Gibson's tail so hard he cries.

Bushfire2000
January 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Oh thats tooo bad if she's hurting the other dogs. Cocoa pulls Mavis's tail then mavis goes round in circles chasing Cocoa who is flying through the air still attached to Mavis's tail.

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I would stop it as soon as he bites a tail (you have to be consistent). It's like growling. If you don't like growling, you stop everything as soon as it starts. You know what I mean?

I would also give a specific command for it so the other dogs don't react. Like "No tails".. (Frankly I'd use a sentence like "Punkin, no pulling the tails. Leave them alone!" but my doggies know what all that means because they've been getting it from the start...)

And I would probably stop the playing, then give a warning, sternly while holding him. Then if it happens again, I say it again and then lie the doggy on its side for a while.

Here's Boo in trouble after not listening. I tell him "You have to listen or you'll be dead." (He's not allowed to move till I tell him to- not even his head, and no doggies are allowed near him when he's like this- it's very vulnerable).

StaceyB
January 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
You can usually correct as you see it about to happen.

Dog Mom
January 20th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Its' only been going on for the past couple of weeks, every time I see her pulling tails I say in a firm voice "no pulling". She gets a "timeout" when she does something like that. she has to sit and stay by me until I release her. Next time I'll try and put her on her side. Heres' a picture of the tail grabbing psycho!!

StaceyB
January 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM
She is getting a responce that she is looking for from the other dogs.

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Its' only been going on for the past couple of weeks, every time I see her pulling tails I say in a firm voice "no pulling". She gets a "timeout" when she does something like that. she has to sit and stay by me until I release her. Next time I'll try and put her on her side. Heres' a picture of the tail grabbing psycho!!
I give them one chance to do what I want them to do and if they start running again and she goes to bite a tail again, then I'd put her on her side. (With Boo, after the initial command but before the release, I usually say "I'm warning you, cut it out" or "I'm watching you" or something else threatening when I stop him the first time... But then Boo responds well to threats...)

Dog Mom
January 20th, 2006, 02:26 PM
hmmmm how do I put this nicely....Punkin is a bit thick. lol. I don't think that threats will work. she usually does good with a lot of repititions (sp). I think it's just being there every time to stop it before it starts.

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 02:41 PM
But the threats only work after a while. Boo is stubborn as hell. But when I threaten him, he knows what is coming now....:evil: