Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

excitement urination

Beetlecat
January 20th, 2006, 12:48 AM
This is not really a training issue, but I didn't really where else to put it.

Almost everytime someone comes over, my dog will pee in the house. I pretty much just roll my eyes, tell everyone not to move, and clean it up.

I don't know if it's excitement or submissive, since the two meld together real well, I suppose it's both. He has gotten better since he was really young, but he's 18 months old now, shouldn't he have outgrown this yet?

He never does this when I arrive home. Perhaps because I'm more familar or because I do not greet him enthusiastically when I arrive. He also does not do this (as far as I know anyways) when we meet people he knows somewhere other than my house.

Other than telling my guests to ignore the dog (not easy unless I make him stay since he greets them first) and taking him out to pee before they arrive, is there anything else I can do? He obviously cannot control this. Do some dogs just have a gentically weak bladder?

StaceyB
January 20th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Normally by 18 months he should have outgrown it. It may just take a little longer.

Shaykeija
January 21st, 2006, 12:31 AM
When Akeija was alive she used to pee as soon as my sister talked to her. This lasted until she was three. I used to tell my sister that her voice was so crabby, that she scared the pee out of Akeija.:p

Prin
January 21st, 2006, 02:00 AM
I make a lot of doggies pee... One of my brother's pitty pees when she sees me. My dad's doggy too... It's my demeanor. I'm an alpha person...

Some doggies do this their whole lives.

What's wrong with telling them to ignore him? When I go to my dad's, I only pet his dog when he has his head up and confident. When I first come in, it's down and I make sure not to even look at him (unless I really feel like mopping..)

chico2
January 21st, 2006, 08:31 AM
Bailey,my little walking companion,always pees when we come to pick her up,she's been doing this forever,she's now five:confused:
Before we started taking her for walks,we gave her treats through the fence and she would pee from excitement,the worst part is,she has no problems sitting in her pee!

Beetlecat
January 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
What's wrong with telling them to ignore him? When I go to my dad's, I only pet his dog when he has his head up and confident. When I first come in, it's down and I make sure not to even look at him (unless I really feel like mopping..)

Well, he runs up to them and licks their feet and just gets himself all excited, whether they greet him or not.

And it's really hard to say no to my mom when I mention making him sit/stay when people arrive and she sadly says, "You mean I can't even pet him?" I guess I should put my foot down, but everyone is just so happy :)

Actually, she visited today, and was in the door before I realized, but Ky was getting too excited so I motioned him to a corner and told him to sit/stay while I got a towel.

He broke the stay, when she walked over near him, and I (while across the room) told him to "Get back". And his head and tail drooped and he walked back to exactly the spot I had left him and laid down.

Then we both laughed and said they can't get much more obiedient than that. :D Then she asked, "So Can I pet him yet?" :D

StaceyB
January 21st, 2006, 10:00 PM
I can also make a lot of puppies pee but it has nothing to do with alpha it has to do with my greeting, I excite them with my tone of voice. I once had a little Dachshund in class and I would have to greet her in a low tone otherwise I would make her pee.

Most puppies will grow out of it but there are a select few that don't unfortunately.