Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Performance evaluation due

shannonRN
January 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Holy cow, have you ever had to do a 5 page assessment of your performance at work, so you can turn it prior to your face-to-face evaluation? It's something new they're doing, and I think it's going to kill me! I hate it! Ack! Mine was due today, and I'm still sweating over it. (That ought to affect my evaluation positively...."can't turn in written work on time" :rolleyes: )

How the heck do you sell yourself on these things ? It seems like it's the same question over and over again...teamwork, organization values, customer service. I don't know how to answer the same question differently 5 different times! I think I'm gonna quit so I don't have to finish this!!!! Help!

Inverness
January 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I'd turn to Dilbert for advice...

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/5449/dilbert20020351512219bc.gif

http://www.dilbert.com/

:D

maddoxies
January 19th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I think I'm gonna quit so I don't have to finish this!!!! Help!

I had to do one of those in December. Tomorrow is my last day :thumbs up Seriously.

maddoxies
January 19th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I think I'm gonna quit so I don't have to finish this!!!! Help!

I had to do one of those in December. Tomorrow is my last day :thumbs up Seriously. :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: I am getting out of the "corporate" world and going to a smaller organization

Have fun with the evaluation :evil:

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Just pretend you are writing about their dream employee. But instead of saying "She should be this and this," you say, "I am this and this." You have to know your audience and tell them what they want to hear. ;)

CyberKitten
January 20th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Although I have been forunate in being recruited more than actually having to apply for a job for most of my life - once I completed my main degrees (I can't say completed univ since I am always studying something and every year I say it will be someting fun and usually I take one course I like but still have to do or teach CME's, sigh (Continuing Med Eduction). But your question reminds me of interviewing potential employees - which I seem to do more of than I'd like (some days I wonder why it is again we have an HR manager, lol) - and that perenniel question of what the candidate sees as her/his strengths and weaknesses, lol (The weaknesses tend to be too organized, "I am a workaholic", lol - all that sort of thing. I prefer people who are honest. I myself once applied for a job in an addictions center when I was in university in Boston and I was really nervous because it was a high level post and despite my background in ER medicine (which was great on paper but lacked much experience, I mean I was prob all of 25 or something and had worked in the ER and did an alchoholism treatment ctre rotation (what we called them then), I was asked what experience I had wirh alcoholics, Ever honest (and I am sometimes too honest if that's possble, lol), I said my father had been one, lol He had been - did the 28 day rehab post the detox and has been sober ever since (most of my life now) but it kind of just popped out. I then went to talk about treating ppl with addictions in various settings. But you know, I got the job so I think they preferred honesty too.

I am not suggesting you tell them your negatives iclude rum in the nurses's lounge, lol (KIDDING!! Esp since it seems addictions amg medical professionals is just a critical issue these days, sigh - too easy access to meds I suppose for one and the stress for another. I sometimes think of nurses in the 21st Centur as being like the canaries in the coal mines of the past - female docs too but nurses especially have so much stress!!)

My staff always see a counsellor at leat once a yr ( I learned this from my own experience in Drs without Borders - wish I could say I thought of it myself but I did not). So you could write about how you deal positively with stress- you know that book The Joy of Stress. (I can give you examples if you want).

Talk about how well you interact with patients, commuication skills, particular skills you have that you share with others - do you mentor young or new (there seem to be some "older" - like my age, lol - women coming into the workforce as nurses now , my own cousin just left his job as a computer programmer and returned to school to get a BScN but he already has most of the science courses tho maybe not anatomy and physiology etc. so it'll take him not that much time and he is 35 or so) nurses? Do you teach, are you in a teaching hospital where you might be explaining or supervising clinical rotations? What about yur reationship to other professionals and workers like aids and LPN"s and ahem, physicians, (lol) Tell them why you like your job, why your like that facility or dept in particular and why you are sp well suited for it - np pun intended (just thought of my Mickey Mouse nurses' uniform I bought because I could not find a doctor's lab cat with Mickey on it so I found a Mickey set in the nursing section and wear it. I don't care what ppl think. There are not too many docs in our dept who worry about that anyway tho I just noticed the other day that almost all the docs in so called plastic surgery - which in peds is usually necessay surgery like frenulectomies or maxillofacial procedures , not too many rhytidectomies in out facility) - all wore the long white coats to assure everyone knew their status, ughhhhhhhhhhh!!! A psychiatrist might wonder about their choice of a specialty, <g>

Do they have specific questions? Can you use specfic examples of how you helped a certain patient or worked especially well in solving a problem a patient had by involving other members of the team. Hospitals lateluy seem to like the term "problem solving" or offering solutions - at least they do here. The other day, I teased one of our nurses when she was filling in something and I said oh you could say how you solved that issue and she said , "oh you meant when we went on strike, lol", lol We were both kidding - there was a nursing strike a few yrs ago but anyway, I digress. Think of POSITIVE things, lol - solutions you led the team to or emcouraged a patient to do or something like that.

I don't know if this helps, i am just thinking out loud and typing it badly.

shannonRN
January 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Gosh, don't get me started on "well suited"....we're now switching to a mandatory uniform, much to my dismay. So much for the huge wardrobe of funky scrubs I've accumulated...might as well flush my $ down the toilet. Grrrr. Not to mention the uniform is impractical and very boring. Boo hoo hoo.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm really trying to keep them in mind, really, but it's very repetitive and narrowly focused questioning---"Reflect on your contribution and examples of performance as it relates to teamwork" then a page later, asks virtually the same thing...I just don't know how to make it sound different every time. I'd really love to turn this thing in with editing marks all over it :evil: :evil: :evil:

shannonRN
January 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Well, I turned the blasted thing in, and I don't even want to say what a pathetic job I did on it. I also had to interview for a position today and I totally bombed. I'm fine, cool/calm/collected, until I make a little mistake, misspeak about something or just fumble for the right word, then *FLUSH!* any interviewing skills I have go down the drain. I think I better start looking for a new job. What a week.

Prin
January 21st, 2006, 02:22 AM
Aww... Sorry you're having a low self-esteem day, Shannon. Interview, Schminterview! You can't let one person or a group of people ruin your day nor remove any of your self worth. You do a great job! Sure I haven't seen you at work, but you take meticulous care of your animals, and your grammar and spelling are above average... That helps with the full picture, doesn't it?

GIMME AN S - H!!
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/4.gifS!! H!!!http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/4.gif
GIMME AN A!
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/4.gifA!!http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/4.gif
GIMME AN N! TWICE AND THEN ANOTHER AFTER THE O!!
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/4.gifN!! TWICE AND THEN ANOTHER AFTER THE O!!http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/4.gif
GIMME AN O!
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/4.gifO!!http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/4.gif

What does that spell?!
Shannno! Wait.. no.. wait.. let me get a pen... Sha... n...n...o........n...oh. ok...

SHANNON! WOOOOO!

(Heh heh I'm limited to 8 smilies... Hence the abbreviated format. But you get the idea, right? It's the thought that counts? And maybe some of the effort?)

shannonRN
January 21st, 2006, 01:51 PM
The server went down just as I tried to reply to you last night/this morning, but I wanted to say thanks for the cheering section :) I spent a little time on the 'what do you love' thread and that made me feel better. Cyber-therapy, LOL.

Prin
January 21st, 2006, 02:17 PM
I know- it nearly killed me when it went down yesterday. I had just posted this and I wanted to know your reaction...:D I hope you're better now.:)

shannonRN
January 21st, 2006, 02:44 PM
Well, my initial reaction was ":confused::confused::confused:--why'd she spell my name like that? :p " I didn't realized there's a limit on smilies.

Prin
January 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM
LOL I had it done way better, but it had 10 (I thought the limit was 10). So then I had to redo it and bulk up the n's and the SH... Oh well.

As long as it diverted your attention for a few seconds...:highfive:

CyberKitten
January 21st, 2006, 03:32 PM
Sorry to hear about the interview Shannon but you never know, you might have done better than you think? :grouphug: :grouphug: Same for the eval - you prob did just fine with that. If it is new, they may be as unsure as you are.

Is that legal - for your hospital to do that? I think there would be a revolt among the nurses if we ever adopted such a policy. Do you have a strong nurses' union? Or Association at least? Could they not reverse that. That sounds like something we had to do in school - and adnittedkly, I did not miond wearing a school uniform in high school. I did not have to worry about what to wear and I could save my good clothes for big events and going out, lol But it sounds so paternalistic!!! Ughhh! What about the docs? Do they have to wear the 1950's style white coats? That would drive me crazy - well , maybe a little more nuts than I am now but it seems very draconian! I know of no hospitals in our area with that rule and if they tried to do it, it would be one heck of a battle! What is their raison d'etre? I mean - there are so many "cute" scrubs now but I am in peds so I have a wonderful excuse to wear Disney,cats, Garfield, etc. hehheh I do dress up in a suit and white coat for certain meetings of course (I can act as an adult when required, lol)but I do not need it for many things. I mean - there are so many procedures where you get blood and all kinds of other unmentionable stuff on one's clothes so scrubs are excellent for those! We had a Res who showed up the fiurst day in a 3 piece suit and his long coat (I figure he is some guy thinking he really made it now so he can wear his best stuff. I advised him - in a polite and sort of amusing way - that he might want to change but he opted not to. After one day working on the unit tho --- he changed his mind, lol (he was also the type who had that "I am a Dr. so I am important" delusion but we ended that pretty quickly too. Why is there always one, lol? Tho, he has been the first one for a few yrs here I have to say - but we tend to have more women in peds now. :)

I do hope your eval went OK - I am sure you did much better than you think. As for the interview, unless you absolutely know what they were looking for, you may come out of that OK as well.

glasslass
January 21st, 2006, 05:02 PM
During your evaluation, say something like this.

"It is so hard for me to evaluate and brag myself up. I think of myself as a team player and no one player as being more important than the whole team working together. I strive for that and to help other team players so that we can successfully accomplish our goals. Every member has strengths and weaknesses. So I guess I can say that I am a good facilitator. I work well with others, I have emotional maturity, and I am able to develop and lead others. "

How can they find fault with that? You're being humble, but, at the same time, pointing out positive traits about yourself.

shannonRN
January 23rd, 2006, 02:44 AM
Well, there's a growing trend in the states of reverting to a more formal uniform for nurses. Ours will still be scrubs, but they have to be purchased from a designated vendor, so that the color and logo will be consistent. We may wear a scrub type top with the 1 chest pocket, or the tunic style with the 2 pockets at the hips, but no undergarments may be visible underneath (big problem for me, since I wear a long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves pushed up underneath my scrubs just about 9 out of every 10 work days).

Love this part--we can choose to wear a turtleneck underneath--not the long sleeve shirts I normally wear, b/c mine lack a turtleneck collar :rolleyes:--but we MUST also wear either the scrub or tunic top over that, AS WELL AS a warm up jacket or lab coat. So you either wear 1 layer, or 3, with no in betweens.

I never bought cartoony scrubs, maybe 1 out of 40 patients on my floor is a child, but I have a large collection of cool patterns, vibrant colors and basically what I want to wear to work. Soon I will have to wear nothing but marine blue with absolutely no variety or flexibility :(

The uniform change extends to everyone employed by the hospital...docs will be expected to wear dress slacks, etc...A big change for many of our docs who wear khakis on a GOOD day; sneakers, jeans, shorts on a typical day.

The impetus for the project was apparently an isolated incident where a hosp. administrator happened to be visiting a patient, and that patient's confused neighbor was overheard by the administrator to have asked a dietary aide for help to go to the bathroom. Yes, that really is the situation being cited. I believe other motivating factors include a few younger support staff wearing 'baby doll' tees rather than scrub tops and there were some incidents of 'bare midriffs' and noted (clearly against our previous dress code) and more or less the fact that administration really doesn't LIKE the funky new scrubs that are being worn, so, typical of our over-reactive small-town hospital, it all comes to a screeching halt.

I don't believe it's in violation of any laws, and we totally lack any sort of advocacy group. It really disappoints me because I feel I'm losing part of my identity and it's for nothing--they could easily have cracked down on our previous dress code and made a few more elements a little more rigid and specific. Most patients that I deal with have NO concept of the different roles played by an RN, LPN, phlebotomist, dietary aide, secretary...to them, you're either an MD or a nurse. Uniform color is NOT going to change that. :mad:

shannonRN
January 23rd, 2006, 02:55 AM
Forgot to add---thanks glasslass. I will try my hardest to work something like that in! I have no idea what the new format is going to be like, so it will be a surprise. I honestly think they expect our written self-eval is our only input--the face-to-face will be them telling us what they think, and whether we will get a raise this year or not.

I have seriously got to go into business for myself or something. :yuck:

Prin
January 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM
That really sucks! As far as my experience with dress code changes goes, eventually they'll relax a bit, but not for a while.

You can wear any scrubs you want in here though...:)