Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update - still in hospital but getting better

Jazz&Cricket
January 19th, 2006, 07:22 PM
My husband is still in hospital. The surgery to repair his vertabrae took place on Tuesday. It lasted 5 hours but all went well. The surgeon is very pleased with the outcome. Since he is still hooked up to various tubes, etc. he's not in a regular room yet. He was supposed to have the chest tube removed today but that didn't happen. So that's a minor setback. He was also supposed to try standing today...but I haven't heard how he fared. I was with him this morning and the physio people were to see him sometime this afternoon. He is in hospital about 90 km from home. I have this week off work so I can take care of all the dogs and still go to visit him. If all the tubes can be removed tomorrow and if he's managed to stand, etc. he might be home by Monday. Then he will be on the recovery road for a couple of months. Thanks for all the support...it's nice to know there is such a good circle of friends.

BMDLuver
January 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM
That's great to hear that all went so well. I'm sure he's very frustrated just lying there. I hope that he gets to come home soon as being at home always helps to mend faster.

Gazoo
January 19th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs up

cpietra16
January 19th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I hope he gets to go home on Monday...home is the best place to recover...with all the wet kisses...dogs, ofcourse:p

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Good luck! :fingerscr :fingerscr I hope all goes well from here on. Poor guy!:grouphug: :grouphug: How are you doing? It must be hard for you too?

CyberKitten
January 20th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Hang in there and take care of yourself too! I know all too well what it is like to have vertebrae related surgery - have had 11 lamenectomies , etc, etc - I really hope he will be up walking soon. It's good to be up and around as soon as possible, even in the ICU one can be up with all the tubes and IV's and morph pumps, etc. But a chest tube is tough one to - I have put them in and had them as a patient and if he has a chest tube, I hope he has a morph pump! (Or good pain meds of some kind - I do not mean to be promoting o ne med over another),

I'll think good thoughts for him and you!! :grouphug: :grouphug:

glasslass
January 21st, 2006, 10:30 PM
Lots of good vibes headed your way. I hope he's able to go home Monday. I'm sure he'll feel much more comfortable when he can be in his own bed. There is just no privacy in a hospital and they wake you up every time you manage to get into a sound sleep.

jesse's mommy
January 22nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Lots of prayers for a safe and speedy recovery.

Jazz&Cricket
January 22nd, 2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. The chest tube was finally removed on Friday. (and yes, he did have the morphine pump...but he had some bad reactions to the drug..so he was given naproxen instead. Unfortunately, he's now developed an infection :sad: The care he's received in the hospital has been good, but I think the infection could have been avoided if the staff would have listened to his complaint about a particular problem...but I'm only speculating. and given the working conditions...they do an admirable job.
The good news is that he's been walking with a walker and doing very well. His major problem is getting up and then sitting down. Once he's on his feet, he's okay. As anyone who has been in a hospital knows, the food is not always the best and he's a vegetarian who seemed to always get meat served. :confused: So, building up his strength has been challenging and like glasslass pointed out...No sleep either!
I don't know if he will be released on Tuesday...I guess it will depend if the infection is under control and his systems are functioning normally.
Here's hoping :fingerscr I think he'll do much better at home.

Prin
January 23rd, 2006, 12:24 AM
I'm glad he's recovering, even if it is really slowly. I hope he's well enough to come home soon.:fingerscr :fingerscr :grouphug: