Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

gov't party voting promotional signs

jiorji
January 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM
ok...weird question...but anyone know what happens to those signs after elections??

because I was asked to get one of the Bloc for a friend who collects them. The ones I saw are usually high up on poles and I'm sure theres a rule on that about taking down party posters in the middle of traffic hehee

Rick C
January 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
ok...weird question...but anyone know what happens to those signs after elections??

because I was asked to get one of the Bloc for a friend who collects them. The ones I saw are usually high up on poles and I'm sure theres a rule on that about taking down party posters in the middle of traffic hehee

The extreme dolts in all parties just go steal the one's they don't like . . . . . so you could join the crowd, after the election of course, and make a midnight run to your favourite lamp post to take one down.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jiorji
January 19th, 2006, 09:00 PM
hehe good plan!

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Well, somebody on the main street here wrote obscenities on all the signs that weren't bloc, so if you can do that, I'm sure you can steal some...:D Come up to Laval. There are some very deserted places full of billboards... You can get some huge ones on the ramp from the 13 north to the 440 west...:D (I don't know how safe it would be, but late at night, there's almost nobody there...)

jiorji
January 20th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I'm going to pass up on Laval. No subways go all the way up there lol

but i shall look for a sign on my way to the supermarket one night. It's St. Leonard, i'm sure it'll be deserted enough to take one.

:evil:

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Bring wire cutters to cut through those tie-wraps quickly...:D

Oh, and the subway is coming... It's about 200million over budget so far, but it's coming.;) The PQ promised it as they went out and when the PQ comes back in, they're going to blame the debt on Charest...

CyberKitten
January 20th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I am sorry but I take politics very seriously - as you all prob figured out :) - and having ran more campaigns that i hate to admit, I can tell you what we did. Keep in mind not all parties or as organizations are as thoughtful.

Finding a place for signs is a big issue in campaigns so there is always a "fight" - not literally but I mean a race - to obtain the best views and spaces, ie most visible. Some locations are off limits due to regulations and legislation (like poles - not to be confused with polls (See how confusing the English language is, lol tho in French a poll as in a precinct where one votes is a known as a pole sop if you want confusuon, work in a biligual riding!!!)

Private signs are just that - private. You could always offer to put one up tho this is rather late in the campaign. Any campaign with signs left over is not likely to win any election!! So, many ppl will keep them as souvenirs sinmce often somoepne deidicated enuf to take a lawn sign usually has volunteered or perhaps donated money as well.

The larger signs are the big ones which the parties pay a lot of mopney for and stealing them is a crime, it is against the law. Keep in mind they are expensive. I once paid for a bunch of them out of my own money when the official agent was late in coming with the check (legally, the agent or candidate's name should be one every invoice tho either can allocate others - usually a VERY small number of people and mostky men (just my observation tho I have served as an officai lagent and representative (the 2 are not the same post) and I would have called the police very quickly if anyone had walked off with those signs. Of course, in intense campaigns and in certain ridings by virtue of demographics - some are vandalized which is also illegal and nost of the time, it is done not by other campiagns (parties) because even in "nasty" campiagns, there are some things we all have in common and we all know how much these **&^% things cost!!

So, please do not steal a sign. Youi might ask for one and offer a small donation for it. If you do not support the BQ - which is not unusual if you are Anglohone or Allphone in Quebec I know - (tho that Chinese Bloc candidate in LaSalle Emard is quiote unique. Granted, I hear the only criticis she has had from her own community is that she had a baby out of wedlock - the baby was due the 23rd so eother way she was to deliver :) If you or your friend really want a sign, ask them for one. If it is one of those small ones and they win the election, they may be in a good enough mood to give you onw. The Bloc gave a sign to someone I know in Moncton, NB - because they like Duceppe (a lot of ppl outside of Quebec do - he actually should do a comedy routine, he has some great lines in the debates, lol). They asked. That would be what I would do.

If it a huge sign, their sign chairperson and his/her people should be out that night or next day taking them down. I have a Bloc sign someone gave me - a lawn sign, it is WAY up in my garage, lol But I collect political memorabilia. You could offer to pay for the wood (if it one of the large signs) and give a small contruibution and if you do not want your name easily accesible (ie in records somewhere, make it less than $100.) But please do not steal it. Even I would never take or destroy the campaign sign of a pilitical rival - it is not fair, illegal, and I know how much work it takes to get the signs put up, taken down, find the workers (volunteers - very few ppl actually get paid on a camaiagn except if you are having a good year, the E day scrutineers and drivers and of course you do feed your E day workers!) And one of the tougest jobs -esp in the winter - is putting up signs!!! Once, we had signs up in a great location only to get a phone call from a guy I was dating at the time who worked for the Dept responsible for something in relation to them and my guys had placed them a few feet too close to a highway, arrrrrrghhhh! But good natured that they were, they headed out and redid them.

So, I would call the HQ/quartier. committee rooms, Bureau des Electons BQ or whatever they call their office and ask for a sign, esp of all you want is a lawn sign. Even explaining you want it as a gift for a friend or your friend lost his/hers - I am sure you can come up with something and I bet they will givbe it to you. Those lawn signs add up too but they won;y mind parting with one if asked nicely. They mayt want to keep the metal or wood if anything was keeping it up because party orgs that are well managed will start the 1st day post E Day to start to campaign for the next one. And they will know they will need the materials and prob have a place to store it.

I hope this is not tmi, lol but don't steal it!! It is just not fair to all that hard work by those volunteers and I have been there and would feel very angry at someone who jusy up and took a sign. Now, if you live in a riding where the BQ loses and they are very disoranized and won't notice a missing lawn sign - you could always ask the homeowner too, esp if they have two. (Some ppl with large properties will occasionally let your workers put up 2 or more signs).

Or call the BQ HQ (phone # must be on web site) and just ask for one. They may ask you/ yr friend to pay for it but if you want it badly enough, keep in mind - as I have said often enuf already I know, that they prob paid enough for it (usually companies know they have parties by the you know what and take advantage, like certain ad cos which we all have heard of, so you pay too much for what the %%# things are worth and that plus the work does not mean one is going to hand one over to someone just for fun. But post election - if they win, they may be in a generous mood.

The RCMP take complaints by parties who lose signs very seriously and while you may not read about that side of it in the press, it is something they investigate quite well - in my experience anyway. And in every case where we have had signs stolen or torn down or defaced, there have been arrests. Contact the party and just ask for a sign. My bet is they will give you a lawn sign at least.

jiorji
January 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM
wow...so you CAN get arrested!
I was joking about that to my friend then she said this is all she wants for her Bday. :rolleyes:

normal people ask for clothing!!!!

Bushfire2000
January 20th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Give her a map of the area with all the signs highlighted and wirecutters.

Then its up to her.

Present it in a suitable container with bows of course!:D

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I don't know. I know people ;) who have stolen road signs when they were young and stupid and never got arrested. I highly doubt the police will waste their time for pieces of cardboard that they're going to throw out in a few days anyway.

Schwinn
January 20th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I don't know. I know people ;) who have stolen road signs when they were young and stupid and never got arrested. I highly doubt the police will waste their time for pieces of cardboard that they're going to throw out in a few days anyway.

If they catch you, if it's anything but a stop sign, they'll probably tell you to don't be stupid (depending on your age. At least that's what they did to m...I mean, my friend). If it's a stop sign, THAT they take VERY seriously (for obvious safety reasons). But as far as going out and investigating (again, other than the STOP signs), probably not. As far as the political signs go, if it's suspected that it is someone who is part of an opposition party, I believe the RCMP will investigate, but it has to be more than a feeling.

jiorji
January 20th, 2006, 04:50 PM

wow how did your "friend" steal a road sign?!?! those things are bolted with heavy duty screws that are VERy tight. Don't ask how I know that. It was just one of those nights.

Writing4Fun
January 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM
If they catch you, if it's anything but a stop sign, they'll probably tell you to don't be stupid...
My sister (and her 16 year old son) will be very happy to hear that. :rolleyes:

Prin
January 21st, 2006, 01:44 AM
Heh heh, the signs put up Friday at 4:55PM tend to be a little looser...:evil:

But see? Judging by this thread, everybody has either done it or attempted to do it. And has any of us... uhh... I mean any of our friends gone to jail? And these buggers weren't plasticy cardboard.;)

Oh, by the way, don't bother going to the ones I told you about. They were stolen... But there are still a few nice ones on the 13 service road in laval a little further south... Get 'em while they're still there!