Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mangled purebreds - doh!

technodoll
January 19th, 2006, 11:15 AM
owning a "rare" purebred has its advantages (you get lots of attention) and disadvantages (you get lots of attention!). I don't mind being asked "what breed is your dog?" and will gladly take the time to answer, but when morons point their finger at my dog and exclaim "wow check out the ___ and ___ mix!" well that's just rude. some of the funnies we have gotten, so far:

collie x pitbull mix (that one had us in stitches!)
husky x boxer mix
beethoven x lab mix (duuuuuuh people, that's not even a breed, it was a movie!!)
st-bernard x husky mix
st-bernard x pitbull mix
...plus all those perplexed looks, wonder what's going on in their minds :D

those who recognize we have a purebred AKITA get a pat on the back!! and yes it does happen, thank god!! :p

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d932b3127cce92901e7496a700000016108BauGbZoxbi

Rottielover
January 19th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I know the breed very well, my first foster was a 4 week old akita.... Man I miss tonka. He was a cutie, and so smart:angel: What I get all the time is.....IS THAT AN AMERICA ROTT OR GERMAN....That bugs me too. Look it up people only one breed of Rott. But I always comment before I enlighten them by saying he was whelped in Canada, so I guess you can say he is canadian. LOL

jessi76
January 19th, 2006, 11:37 AM
at least people took a guess as to what your dog is.

We took Tucker on vacation, stopped at a fast food place, and I had him on a grassy area while my bf ran in for food. EVERY single car going to the drive through stopped to ask "what is he?!" or "is that a dingo?"

When I finally tell people he's a basenji-mix, 99% of the time i get "a WHAT mix?"

to this day only 1 person we've come across knew he was basenji.

technodoll
January 19th, 2006, 11:45 AM
i love basenjis!! only been fortunate to meet two in my life though, they are quite rare. the barkless dog of africa! :thumbs up

Beetlecat
January 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I am fortunate in that most people know what a 'blue heeler' is.

I think once he was actually called by his proper breed name of Australian Cattle Dog, but I call him a blue heeler too anyways :P

Once or twice people have speculated he must have dobie or rottie in him, just 'cause they do not know that other breeds have the 'tan markings' too.

Once he was called a catahoula leopard dog :)

BernerLver
January 19th, 2006, 01:13 PM
technodoll: I knew your dog was an Akita. I had a friend in high school who's family had one (Zach) who was such a gret dog.

I don't even think Bailey is that unique of a breed anymore. They are used a lto in advertising etc. now. However, my husband and I constantly get asked whast kind of dog he is :confused:

We have been asked if Bailey is a:

-Newf
-Aus. Sheppard
-Rotti mix etc.

It's funny how many breeds there are that some people have never heard of

SchnauzerGirl
January 19th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I met my first (and probably only) basenji in the park last week. It had a muzzle on it as it apparently gets quite "nippy" with other dogs and the owner said that the dog really didn't like Schnauzers... Hmmm, would that be the owner does't like them? Anyway, it was the strangest colour basenji I've ever seen, although I have only seen pictures. It was a white mottled colour with bits of tan in it...

jessi76
January 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM
the barkless dog of africa! :thumbs up

sure they're generally barkless, but they yodel, scream, whine, and make single-woof's. Tucker is a mix, so he does all of the above and also barks.

Amiga Girl
January 19th, 2006, 03:14 PM
When I first adopted Amiga, someone told me that she looked more like a Basenji than a pitbull but I'd never really seen a basenji until I just saw your cutie! I'm wondering now if Amiga may in fact have some in her.... she doesn't bark at all, a single woof and lots of whining and other odd noises though.....

shannonRN
January 19th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't really consider an Akita an obscure breed, but I guess if you only know poodle, lab, golden and boxer then I guess it's obscure. But when we met our "neighbors" (country neighbors....a long way off) they were shocked that I knew their dogs were Airedales and 'Chessies'---so it's not just Akitas. I think if a dog isn't in the AKC top ten, a lot of non-dog people may not recognize the breed.

But I've been stumped before too, not that I claim to know every breed. We used to rent a place from people whe had an American Water Spaniel. That was a first and a last for me (Never seen one before, never seen one since.) I thought it was a lab-cocker mix or something.

StaceyB
January 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM
For some reason most people don't commonly see dane puppies. I met someone with a very young black dane puppy from a BYB. They were so offended by people asking if it was a lab that they were actually thinking about getting his ears done. I had to inform them that their pup will begin to look more like a dane as it gets a little older but man, getting the ears cropped just because someone else didn't know what he was is just silly.

Lissa
January 19th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Sometimes people have such outlandish guesses that you'd think it would be easier to get the breed right!

According to almost everyone, Dodger is a Beagle (and there's nothing I can say that will change their minds:rolleyes: !!)

Some funny guesses have been:

Lab/Beagle
Whippet/Beagle
Whippet/Lab::confused:
Greyhound::confused:
Irish Wolfhound:eek:
Dobie/Beagle:eek:

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/11/Zetters.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)

chico2
January 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I actually knew what an Akita looked like before joining Pets.ca,but many others I did not and boy,have I learned a lot about different dogs the last year or so:D
I have had 3 dogs in my life a Chow/shepardX,a Cockerspaniel,a collie/shepard X all great dogs,but I know more now about dogs,than ever and I have 3 cats:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 19th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Technodoll I knew your dog was an Akita, thanks to the Kato Kalin (?????) and the OJ Simpson trial.

I know Joeys breed is sort of rare compared to the American Cocker Spaniel. You wont find too many in BC, but if you go to the UK they are very common, where as the American Cocker Spaniel is more rare over there. They also seem to be more common in the Eastern US, because I see them often in the shelters over there.

doggy lover
January 19th, 2006, 07:44 PM
People have asked me many times what Tucker is crossed with as he is red and white not the normal black and white border collie. Most people think he is crossed with a springer spaniel. I just say no he is just a regular border collie.:rolleyes:

mafiaprincess
January 19th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I had one guy in petsmart argue with me till he was blue in the face telling me I had a king charles cavelier cross..

Cider looks like a cocker.. but the dude had a fit about it..

I've been asked if she's a cross before, but no one tries to make a guess at what they think she is.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/Cider.jpg

9 months old.. but it's a cider..

technodoll
January 19th, 2006, 08:27 PM
i can't stand it! so many beautiful dogs!! :o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 19th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Mafia Princess= I've been asked if she's a cross before, but no one tries to make a guess at what they think she is.

I am going to guess, I dont see any Cavalier King Charles in her. Sometimes I can tell right of way, I think she is either American or English Cocker Spaniel or a cross between the two. Her snout seems to long to be just American thats why I am not sure. But she is super cute thats for sure. I love the bow too.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 19th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Mafia Princess do you see any resemblence at all Joey is full grown though, I never got to see him during his puppy stage.

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Technodoll, this thread is hilarious. At our dog park, we have an unwritten rule: ALWAYS assume it's a pure breed. If it isn't, the mutt owner will be flattered, but if you assume it's a mutt, you can get some pretty bad reactions from the pure owners. It's funny.

There's a guy with a Kuvacz and he's tired of everybody assuming the dog is a pyranees...

The only time I get offended is when people ask me what Boo is and I say "We think he's newf/pointer or a dane mix" and they answer, "No, he's just a lab." Huh? If you're so sure, why do you ask? And anybody who meets Boo knows he's not just a lab (not that there's anything wrong with that).

chico2
January 20th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Joeysmom,"my" Bailey looks nothing like Joey,so what kind of Cocker would she be? I know she is a pure breed,bought from a breeder.

mafiaprincess
January 20th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Cider looks more like Bailey than Joey.

I think she is an american cocker, but she looks very delicate. But, since she's from a mill, I'll never be certain... she doesn't have cavelier characteristics though.

I don't really care, lol, I just wanted an excuse to post my furbaby, lol.

You know.. sitting here looking at her, since the picture I posted is old.. she does seem to have a longer snout.. she's a little like an american, but a little like an english.. but overall she is a smallish sized dog.

Man, I'll never know, but it's interesting to think about.

papillonmama
January 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM
This is the first time that I read this thread, I was worried that someone mangled your dog, and I really didn't want to see pics of it, but it was not what I thought it was soooo, I'll add.

People always ask if Dory is a Chihuhua (sp?) and sometimes when I tell them she's a papillon, they ask me if I'm sure. What the???

Papillons look a bit like chi's but the ears are a dead give-away. But why do they argue? I just smile and keep walking.

Here's a blurry pic of Dory, you can just make out her big ears.:)

doggy lover
January 20th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I was asked twice today what Tucker was crossed with, just another border collie.:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 20th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Mafia Princess

You know.. sitting here looking at her, since the picture I posted is old.. she does seem to have a longer snout.. she's a little like an american, but a little like an english.. but overall she is a smallish sized dog.

Man, I'll never know, but it's interesting to think about.

Your right about that she is very cute, if you post her again from all angles we can take a better look at her. :D :D :D

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/colonialcockerspaniel.htm

Byrd
January 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM
LOL

I get "What a beautiful Border Collie, I have never seen one that colour. What happened to his tail?"

Swear I'm getting her a pink T-shirt that says:

"Things you need to know about me:
1) I am a girl
2) I am an Australian Shepherd
3) My tail is supposed to be this way"

meb999
January 20th, 2006, 07:57 PM
people mangle even 'common' breed dogs -- dogs that have obvious (at least to me...) caracteristics, like Buster. Buster is all boxer. But he's been called:
- pittbull
- pittbull - lab mix
- mastiff mix (he's only 55 pounds)
- and my ultimate favorite : ' aye! yť beau ton baxter! '

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/Buster_sun.jpg

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 20th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Lissa=

Sometimes people have such outlandish guesses that you'd think it would be easier to get the breed right!

According to almost everyone, Dodger is a Beagle (and there's nothing I can say that will change their minds !!)

Some funny guesses have been:What a great looking beagle. :eek: Thats a great pic by the way, defintaley worth framing.

technodoll
January 20th, 2006, 09:33 PM
"and my ultimate favorite : ' aye! yť beau ton baxter! '"

HAHAHHAHHAAAAAAAAAA! :D now that was a good one!! oh god some people... there are some ads on www.lespac.ca that make me just cringe! want a Charpy puppy? or a Chiwawa? how about a "rockwilder"? :yuck: people!! take spelling lessons for crying out loud!

anyhoo... calling a boxter a pitbull is really bad for the breed if you're in a Banned Breed zone :mad: Time for some edumacation, eh? :eek:

yoda900_ca
January 26th, 2006, 01:59 PM
this thread is a riot. Techno i knew your's was an akita for me i get alot of the different types of terriers mixed up. i know it's a terrier but not always what kind. I have had Alaskan malamutes for the past 17 yrs and i don't think of them as an obscure breed but i been asked or told the following.
That is the biggest Siberian Husky i've ever seen. i had one of those one except he had blue eyes. What is he a shepard husky cross? Is that an akita because he's way to big for a husky. Isn't it illegal to own wolves. and my personal favorite (to which i say if u don't know please keep your mouth closed as to not sound moronic) is it a collie mastiff mix:confused:

technodoll
January 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Isn't it illegal to own wolves?

ha hahaaaaa! you then answer... "i won't tell if you don't! and if you do... you'd make a nice snack!" :evil:

domesticzookeep
January 26th, 2006, 07:48 PM
HA! Dodger - an Irish wolfhound?!? Really? :eek:

With my current foster Molly, I get this puzzled look & 'what kind of dog is she?' often followed by 'Ohhh...and look, she has two different coloured eyes...' (one blue, one brown - apparently common for the breed), or 'she's really, umm... 'different'...' I rarely even get a guess!

When I explain we think she's a catahoula leopard cross - another blank stare....a cata WHAT??? :confused: ......mmmm, can't say I blame them - I was unaware of the breed until she moved in....

C.
:ca:

rjames
January 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I have the same thing happen to me too. On occasion, cars will even stop to ask what is it???

Shamrock
January 27th, 2006, 04:19 PM
lol.. this thread IS a riot! And such beautiful doggies!

People are all proud of their dogs, and rightly so.
I always find a nice thing to say about each and every dog I meet, but as for the breed.. I've learned not to "guess". If I'm not absolutely certain.. I just say.. I am not "up" on all the dog breeds...(true) and ask.

A bit off topic.. but one thing that bugs me is when the only comment people can make is a negative one.. (thats an "old" dog) Really?

I never comment on a dog's age, even if its highly obvious they are old. If the owner volunteers their age, I always look to comment on what nice condition they are in...or how frisky they are.etc.

My dog is very tiny - recently one guy remarked.. Oh..... "part" of a dog!:mad:

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
'Round here, "old" is a compliment. So many dogs are dumped all the time that having an old dog is like a trophy for the world's best dog owner.;)

Shamrock
January 27th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Good point, Prin!:highfive:
It irks me especially coming from young people with condescending tone - and young exuberant dogs at their side.:D

Would they say to a person... Wow - you have a LOT of gray - you're old.
(though they may well think it):rolleyes:

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM
What if they come up and lovingly say "Wow, he's so old!";)

shannonRN
January 27th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I agree with Prin--when I meet an obviously OLD pet, I tend to comment on it. But maybe I'll stop :confused: . I've never meant it to be an off-hand insult, rather to be respectful that the animal has been cared for well enough to reach a ripe age and not discarded along the way for losing its puppy/kittenhood. I guess it boils down to one's relationship with age and 'oldness.' I never considered maturity in years to be a bad thing.

shannonRN
January 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Oops, a little post overlap...

Would they say to a person... Wow - you have a LOT of gray - you're old.
We comment on LOTS of things in dogs that we would never ever never comment on in human strangers.

"Wow, you're African-American, aren't you? I don't see many of those around here."

"I see by your teets that you've recently whelped a litter."

"Have you been sterilized yet? I'd really recommend it for someone in your circumstances."

LOL, Just being silly but proving a point :)

Shamrock
January 27th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I agree with Prin--when I meet an obviously OLD pet, I tend to comment on it. But maybe I'll stop :confused: . I've never meant it to be an off-hand insult, rather to be respectful that the animal has been cared for well enough to reach a ripe age and not discarded along the way for losing its puppy/kittenhood. I guess it boils down to one's relationship with age and 'oldness.' I never considered maturity in years to be a bad thing.

Shannon.. that's a great way to look at it!:highfive:
Dont mean to steer this thread off-course.... but just to clarify:

This is just my own take - If that is ALL the person is commenting on..and nothing else - then they are only stating the obvious.
To me.. its a redundant remark, on par with - "your dog is really overweight, isnt it"?
Does the owner need to be advised?

If a person states. "What a handsome/ cute/ energetic, etc.. dog - he looks like's he's pretty old.. at least they have offered a "postive" thought, and that is different.

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 05:19 PM
We comment on LOTS of things in dogs that we would never ever never comment on in human strangers.
LOL Or "If you like to eat your own feces, maybe your food has too much corn in it." :D :D

Shamrock
January 27th, 2006, 07:04 PM
:sick: :sick: :sick: .. the very least of the problems, Prin :D

I may entirely too sensitive to this .. dont know.

Asking "how old is your dog? ... is one of the first exchanges between dog owners, perfectly acceptable, but not quite the same thing as "pronouncing" theirs to be an " old" dog.

Its' a subjective term, after all.

I dont think of Percy as old,( he 10, aprrox.) Guess that's why it mildly offends me when people sum him up this way.. based on his gray muzzle and mature look He's every bit as energetic as many younger dogs.

Also, while it may be a testament to their great care, etc, in most cases - what if you're wrong and the dog is actually quite young? This will not be a compliment.

I've seen dogs of fifteen that looked like five... and vice versa.
And a Jack Russell looks a LOT like a Fox terrier to me .:)

So whether the breed or the age, I prefer to err on the side of caution, and not volunteer any assessments.

Prin
January 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Usually I only say it if the dog is REALLY old. A few white hairs here and there is one thing, but white hair everywhere and cloudy eyes, and maybe a limp or a hobble....

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 27th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Chico 2 Joeysmom,"my" Bailey looks nothing like Joey,so what kind of Cocker would she be? I know she is a pure breed,bought from a breeder.

Sorry I just noticed this post, I would say that Chico is a purebred American Cocker. They are generally a tad smaller than the English Version and have shorter noses. Apparently way back they were all one breed and they broke off into the English and the American version. I would ask Chicos owner because I definately don't consider my self an expert but just go from what I have read. Joey is definatley English because hes got a big nose.

Here is the the ECRS definition of the difference I think Baily is the one on the left only in blond. :D

http://www.ecsca.org/difference.html