Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Names of mistaken dog breeds... hilarious!

technodoll
January 18th, 2006, 07:00 PM
:D :D

Names of mistaken dog breeds requested by people at shelters.
Alaskan Malibu
Rhode Island Ridgeback
Copper Spaniel
Cocker Spaniard
Dorky Terrier
Basket Hound
Bagle
Welch Corgi
Carrion Terrier
Great Pyramid
German Policeman
Miniature Datsun
Lopso Apso (or El Paso)
Irish Settler
Jack Daniels Terrier
Borderline Collie
Wild hair Terrier
Rockwelder (or Rottenwiler)

From the Best Friends Sanctury Magazine.

jiorji
January 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Bagle

From the Best Friends Sanctury Magazine.

oohhh those are tasty!! especially the poppy seed :D hehe:o

BernerLver
January 19th, 2006, 07:24 AM
My FIL insits on calling Bailey a "Béarnaise" Mountain Dog, like the sauce :confused:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Apparently Joey has been mistaken for an English Cocker Spaniel/ Basset Hound?????? so that would be a Basset Spaniel or a Basket Spaniel. :D

chico2
January 19th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Just a sidestep,Best Friends Sanctuary in Utah is a wonderful place,one day we will go there on vacation,they let you volonteer to help out,could not think of a better vacation:thumbs up

Writing4Fun
January 19th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Our local paper regularly has a "breeder" (and I use that term very, very loosely) who advertises "Shiatsu" puppies for sale. Wow! So you get a companion AND a massage! Those must be really talented puppies!! :p :clown:

TobsterMom
January 19th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I used to get frustrated that people couldn't get that labrador retriever's and golden retrievers are 2 different breeds. I've heard people call Toby an golden lab, a long hair lab, a long hair golden lab, a long hair yellow lab....sheesh! One person commented on what a beautiful irish setter he was!

Poor Toby...I'm going to get him a t-shirt that says I'm a Golden Retriever! Or better yet, a t-shirt for myself with an arrow that says
<---- I'm with the Golden Retriever.

Heeey...I should market them with different breeds on them...what a business idea!

Bushfire2000
January 19th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Those are a riot. In ad defense though sometimes it's the person on the end of the phone taking your ad that can't spell. We've had Datsons and Shiatsu's for sale in our local paper for years. I just assumed they were typos. EEk what if people really think their dog is a Datson.

technodoll
January 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM
i saw an ad for "charpies" and one for "rockwilders".

:eek: some people should go back to school to learn to read and write!

Writing4Fun
January 19th, 2006, 12:22 PM
In ad defense though sometimes it's the person on the end of the phone taking your ad that can't spell.
You'd think, though, that after the first five times, the person placing the ad would call the newspaper to correct their spelling. :confused:

EEk what if people really think their dog is a Datson. And what's wrong with that?! My first car was a Datsun! Oh, that's not what you meant ... sorry ... (jk!:p )

technodoll
January 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
i think it just goes to show how uneducated people can be in regards to dogs. if you can't spell or pronounce a purebred's breed correctly, you should not own one because that means you did not reasearch the breed at all!! :mad:

(i do forgive the dyslexics though).

Beetlecat
January 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM
i think it just goes to show how uneducated people can be in regards to dogs. if you can't spell or pronounce a purebred's breed correctly, you should not own one because that means you did not reasearch the breed at all!! :mad:

(i do forgive the dyslexics though).

Yes. This is the first thing that crossed through my mind. If you have not researched the breed enough to know how to *spell* it, then you obviously want that breed for the wrong reasons.

Bushfire2000
January 20th, 2006, 10:54 AM
You'd think, though, that after the first five times, the person placing the ad would call the newspaper to correct their spelling. :confused:

I'm afraid that more people phoned them because of the bad spelling. It would make your ad standout (shudder)

technodoll
January 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM
i'm talking about the redneck BYBs that actually write up their own ads (online classifieds). here are a couple that had me gasping for air - ever want to own a Charpy or a Chiwawa?? :yuck:

http://www.lespac.com/search/detail.php?cp=11&region=&majalerte=&a=4007762&o=%2Fsearch%2Findex.php&r=1651&parindex=0&page=1&total=1&nbrpages=1&categorie_titre=%5BAnimaux+-+B%EAtes%5D&filename=111&orderby=distance&mots=charp&tr=4&distancemax=0&agemax=0&yf=0&yt=0&prixfrom=De...&prixto=%C0...&offre=t&etatb=t

and another:

http://www.lespac.com/search/detail.php?cp=11&region=&majalerte=&a=4123869&o=%2Fsearch%2Findex.php&r=1651&parindex=0&page=1&total=2&nbrpages=1&categorie_titre=%5BAnimaux+-+B%EAtes%5D&filename=11111&orderby=distance&mots=chiwa&tr=4&distancemax=0&agemax=0&yf=0&yt=0&prixfrom=De...&prixto=%C0...&offre=t&etatb=t

Bushfire2000
January 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM
O.K. and lets have another Bud too.

technodoll
January 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM
totally classy, ain't it?! :yuck:
:crazy:

meb999
January 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I used to get frustrated that people couldn't get that labrador retriever's and golden retrievers are 2 different breeds. I've heard people call Toby an golden lab, a long hair lab, a long hair golden lab, a long hair yellow lab....sheesh! One person commented on what a beautiful irish setter he was!

Poor Toby...I'm going to get him a t-shirt that says I'm a Golden Retriever! Or better yet, a t-shirt for myself with an arrow that says
<---- I'm with the Golden Retriever.

Heeey...I should market them with different breeds on them...what a business idea!

LOL!! He IS a beautifull Irish setter!!

I'd buy one of your t-shirts if it said : 'I'm with the Boxer' -- since my neighbor keeps refering to him as a pitbull! Actually, quite a few people in the neighborhood have asked me when I got my pitbull....:rolleyes: ' uhhhm, I'll let you know when I get one! '

Shamrock
January 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Oh, those are hilarious!:crazy:
I've also seen dogs advertised as "thoroughbred' :) Instills a lot of confidence..

erykah1310
January 29th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Im in for a T-Shirt too! LOL Same problem with my Rottie/Boxer EVERYONE tells me to "Muzzle that Pitbull!" Sheeesh! I am too the point now that I turn around as though I am being approached by the biggest meanest nastiest(media hype type) Pitbull and yell terrified "Oh my where is it??" LOL
I have NO issues with properly trained Pits by the way, I have had the pleasure of meeting a few and they were the sweetest doggies i have ever met!