Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ideas for fund-raiser

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Hi all I need some input on a fundraiser for the legal defense against bill 132 (pit bull ban) I know its a pittie thing but I would love the input from all members who have had experience with planning such a thing. I need a name for the event tonight, so far all c can think of is Bullie Bash and Pitty Party, and I really need some input on how to make a budget. I will be serving wine etc. so I need to buy food, like cheeze, crackers etc. munchies to go with the booze, but I dont want anyone to leave cause there hungry. Im going with the number of 100 people although there may be 120 but Im using a hundred cause it makes the math easier LOL soooo pls heeelp meee!:pawprint its for the weee dogggys!:angel: :

wdawson
January 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM
babyrocky

how about kill bill volume 132.........like the movie kill bill 1 and 2

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 08:01 PM
LOL I like it Wdawson, but Its a little aggressive for the fundraiser LOL Im looking for something that lets one know its a party. That would make a great fundraising slogan for a button or tee shirt though! :party:

cpietra16
January 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I think the Bill is a little aggressive too...I like it wdawson...but I also loved the movies....:D

wdawson
January 18th, 2006, 08:11 PM
why go pit related?...i know its about the pit ban but maybe you can reach more people with going for a dangerous dog angle type of name....cause we all know if this is lost then a new breed will replace the pit on the hit list....god i hope they don't ban the beagle......to dogs too walk muzzled:eek:

coppperbelle
January 18th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Are you renting a hall? If so, you will have to include this in your budget? Have you asked for donations? You could ask for donations or reduced cost of wine, food etc... Door prizes would be a nice touch. Maybe some dog food stores could donate something. Services are another great thing to get as donations. Maybe a pet groomer could offer a free grooming etc.... A vet could offer free vaccinations. Of course this involves a lot of leg work but it is worth it and will draw the people in to attend your affair.
As for a name, I have to think on that. How about "Bully affair"?

Good luck

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks Copperbelle, we are not renting a hall, we are fortunate enough to have the use of an art gallery and performance space for free. We aleady have some offers for donations but the immediate problem is the name and how to make a budget. I will be going to local pet stores etc. and looking for donations, as well I will be asking the "pittie frinedly ones to help sell tickets. This is being sponsered by the "pit bull co-op" but the money goes to the DLCC so they are asking for certain things to be submitted and until yesterday I didn't realise it would need to be done so soon. There is a bit of urgency regarding the advertising, the name, and the budget. After that it will be a little more leisurely til we get closer to the date, which is May the sixth. Bully Affair is a cool name too. They have or are soon to, Im not sure, be doing the Bully Ball, which is a really "high end" kind of a thing at the Royal York, in other words it wont include me LOL so I thought of Bully Bash cause ours will definately be much more casual and affordable, but is still linked, on the other hand it might be confused with that one.:confused:

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 08:34 PM
why go pit related?...i know its about the pit ban but maybe you can reach more people with going for a dangerous dog angle type of name....: LIke?????????????? Actually W, Dawson, thats another reason why I posted this on the general forum, it does involve all dog owners and all people that cherish democracy for that matter, but I think the name needs to reflect the current situation. Im really hoping that lots of people attend who are not pittie owners though, so maybe the event name should sound more inclusive, OR maybe in the advertising we can make it clear that all are efected and certainly welcomed.

wdawson
January 18th, 2006, 08:39 PM
sorry for hitting a nerve with my last post....it was just a suggestion....lol

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
You didnt hit a nerve, I really meant I wanted an idea for a name that would be more inclusive. :)

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 08:53 PM
We are going to have a band that plays Rock called the Bad Dog Band. Just to give you an idea of the "flavour" of the the thing, also so you can imagine that the words Bad dog band, pit bull co-op, and DLCC will appear on any ad so something that isn't too repetitive would be good.

wdawson
January 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
how about

bully brawl
pretty pitti party
niebourhood bully bash/brawl
anti bsl bash
deed not the breed ball

Copper'sMom
January 18th, 2006, 09:54 PM
"Pity/Pittie Party"
"Take Pity on the Pitties"
"Boogie for Bullies":eek:
Sorry, these are lame! It's all I can come up with right now!:o

I like the "Bully Affair" too.:)

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks coppers Mom and WDawson, "Bully Brawl" Wdawson lOL gosh I hope not, maybe I should watch how much beer and wine I order LOL

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 10:02 PM
BTW Coppers Mom, brush up on your map reading skills cause we will be expecting you! LOL This means you Copper and Zoes MOM! It aint a :party: til you get there!

poodletalk
January 18th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I don't think you should use any words were people can interupt aggression. ex: Kill; bash etc. YOu need something catchy but non aggressive. Since it's at an art galary, you should try to incorporate art in the title. Are you going to try to sell some art, to rasie funds? If so, maybe a title like this:

Amazing Art for a Paws-i-tive Impact

As for the budget, you need to coordinate few people to get you sponsors. Start calling your local grocery stores, get donations of cheese etc. (If I lived closer, I would help you get sponsors, I am good at it!)

I went to one fundraiser, their was a silent auction, it made tons of money.

Also since it's at an art gallery, why don't you try to get some good publicity in art magazine. My friend who's an artist was just published in one, I think it's Forbes...not too sure.

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Great ideas PoodleTalk, as it turns out the original idea was to use the art gallery for the sale, but now we are sharing the art gallery part with a group from my building so the art sale part wont be a large componant, the major draw will be more of the party in the performance space which will be exclusively ours. The gallery will be open and we will be using it more for soicializing. I don't know if I could get grocery s tores to donate to a "pit bull rallie" but pet stores etc. Im sure, How would you go about approaching the grocery stores?

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I think we will be doing the silent auction, people are already offering donations, I think we will also do a raffle so we can sell tickets for that too.

papillonmama
January 18th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Furry Festival! or A Festival for Furry Friends! or a Fuzzy Fundraiser!

For a slogan you could use "Let's cut the Bull"

poodletalk
January 18th, 2006, 10:30 PM
All of Ontario is not againest pitbulls, you need to find someone who has connections who can get you sponsors. Go where they know you and where they like your dog. Tell them what you are doing, how you need donations and you will add their name to the sponsor list and they will get exposure that way.

There's alot of different ways how you can get sponsors, don't only got doggy things for the raffles. I always find, when we do raffles we get the most money for people things. Ex: Day at the SPA; restaurant passes; magazine subscriptions etc.

Copper'sMom
January 18th, 2006, 10:38 PM
BTW Coppers Mom, brush up on your map reading skills cause we will be expecting you! LOL This means you Copper and Zoes MOM! It aint a :party: til you get there!

May 6th???? I should be able to make it there unless we have a freak snow storm!!!!!:eek: It'll be hard for me to leave my babies as well. I just hate leaving them - I'll miss them so much!!!:( I guess I'll just have to hang out with Rocky and maul him to death!!:grouphug: LOL

I'll write it on my calender right NOW!!

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys, i dont want to go with anything that sounds aggressive, I like Pappilonmoms idea of the furry bit but I don't think of pit bulls and fur so much. But now Im trying to think of something along those lines, more generic than pittie or bullie yet still true to the nature of our babys. HMMMM Bad Dog Band, is not exactly a passive name and that has to be in the ad cause thats the name of the band, so something that counterbalances that would be good I guess. But then we will be selling tickets mostly to people who are already involved in the cause so maybe that part isn't so important. Gawd I hate choosing!

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 10:42 PM
May 6th???? I should be able to make it there unless we have a freak snow storm!!!!!:eek: It'll be hard for me to leave my babies as well. I just hate leaving them - I'll miss them so much!!!:( I guess I'll just have to hang out with Rocky and maul him to death!!:grouphug: LOL

I'll write it on my calender right NOW!!:highfive: Hurray!!!!! Maybe we can find a place for your babys in Toronto so you can bring them for the ride at least. They might be scared in a strange place though. I know Rocky would be.

Copper'sMom
January 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM
:highfive: Hurray!!!!! Maybe we can find a place for your babys in Toronto so you can bring them for the ride at least. They might be scared in a strange place though. I know Rocky would be.

Zoe wouldn't mind in the least bit - Copper on the other hand..............would die of a heart attack if I left him in a strange place with strangers!!:eek: He's only happy with me or his Grandma:rolleyes: - spoiled rotten suck! If there was a doggy daycare, where I could pick Zoe up from later in the evening, I would definitely consider bringing her!

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Ill look into it for sure, Umbrella pets, is around the corner from me and they have a really cool day care, but I dont know what the hours are like...Ill find out though. Maybe we could hire a doggy sitter for my place. Would Zoe like Rocky??? I know he would like her but ofcourse we couldn't leave them by themselves.

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Since it's in an art gallery, maybe you could have some starving artists paint pitty paintings to sell? Like decorate the room you're in with nice pitty paintings?

I tried, but I can't come up with any names..:o

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 11:01 PM
That will be part of it for sure Prin.

papillonmama
January 18th, 2006, 11:02 PM
You could play with it as much as you want or can, A Fur Friendly Fundraiser, or something more serious, Peeved Pet Parents Party for Peace , again for all dogs, a Shaggy Dog's Shindig, Bash Bill 132 at our Bash! , Paws For the Cause, okay okay, I tried to make one for hullabaloo, but can't think of a single one.:)

poodletalk
January 18th, 2006, 11:04 PM
You can use something simple, "We love our bullies" and use a cute loveable picture of your dog. Or "Smooch your Pooch" "A man's best friend" There's alot of cute ideas you use...

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 11:05 PM
That will be part of it for sure Prin.
oh, sorry, I misread that part as though you weren't planning on it... :o

I tried to make one for hullabaloo, but can't think of a single one Hulla bull ooo?:D

babyrocky1
January 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Peeved Pittie parents party for peace...LOL Im going to be thinking of these all night now LOL thats good though its a new direction. I was stuck in the pittie and bullie thing before. I may still need to go there though...when I doodle it for the ad ,the bullie bash looks good with the Bad Dog Band...but I do like the parents and the peeved etc. "Freee the Pittie Party??? ahhh its getting late, thanks for the help eveyone, Ill be back at it tommorrow, Im at work and need to go home and walk my poor imprisoned baby!

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Pitty Parents Party for Bull?

Copper'sMom
January 18th, 2006, 11:12 PM
ooooh "Paws for the Cause" That's a good one too!!

Sorry Debbie, I can't think of any more names right now and I absolutely must get my arse to bed NOW!!! 5:30am will be here too soon!!:yuck: I hope you find a fundraiser name tonite!! Let us know!!

Oh, please do check into doggy daycare!! Doggy sitter isn't a bad idea either. We'll talk!!

papillonmama
January 18th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Hulla bull ooo?:D

Nice play on words, I like it.:thumbs up

raingirl
January 19th, 2006, 07:19 AM
i don't think you should use anything with "bull" in the name, as it is misleading. THere are so many other dogs with the name bull in them that it gets a little confusing as to what you are fighting/working towards.

personally I think you need something with impact. I liked Kill Bill 132...

babyrocky1
January 19th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Well, ive just returned from the DLCC site, it looks like were going with Bullie Bash after all. Rain Girl it wont be misleading cause it will also say on the invitiations, posters etc, sponcered by the Pit Bull Co-op and it wont be as aggesssive as we were worried about cause there is a big heart over the I in pit. It seems like a link to the Bullie Ball, which it is, but not expensive and more casual which it will also be. The fundraiser is specifically for the DLCC towards the legal defence being launched by Clayton Ruby. thanks so much everyone, still need lots of advicd on planning and budgeting and BTW your all invited!!!!!!:party:

babyrocky1
January 26th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Update...well all, the fundraiser is now called Rocka Bully Bash with the Bad Dog Band. It is on Sat May the sixth at Harbourfront in Toronto, the exact time is still being fine tuned but we are still in the vicinity of late afternoon to eve. It would be GREAT if people other than Pit Bull folks would join us.... So I would love some input, certainly dont need a commitment but it would be nice to know if theres any interest here at pets.ca in attending. Also we would really like input on advertising and spreading the word! Oh i guess I should calrify, this is a fundraiser for the DLCC legal defence, we are challenging bill 132, it will be put on by the DLCC and the Pit Bull Co-op, the Pit bull co-op was born at pets.ca! thanks Pets.ca!:highfive: A mandate for the pit bull co-op is available if you would like us to e-mail you one but Im sure you all get the gist of it:pawprint:

papillonmama
January 26th, 2006, 10:18 PM
That's cool Babyrock, I'll be there for sure. I'll bring my pap hopefully she doesn't try to eat any of the pitties. :D Hey, I wonder if they make muzzles that small? ;)

babyrocky1
January 26th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Thats great Pappilonmama, but unfortunately the fundraiser is only for people, however, the pit bull co-op meetings are for dogs and their people and they dont require muzzling for paps. not yet in Ontario!!!:fingerscr We would love to see you at either! We love to have other breeds on dog walks with us! All that stuff is under the pit bull co-op thread.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 26th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Bulla- pa- looza oops just read that you got a name and a good one too. Hope it all goes well for such a great cause.

babyrocky1
January 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Thats okay JoEcockers mom, thats a cute name and we can always use it for the next event....It may end up being a very long hall! Some of these names would be really cool for a group dog walk which we could plan for when the weather gets better! It could be the pit bull version of a "pug a lug"! Why should the pugs have all the fun?:party: