Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitty deterrent?

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Is there such a thing? My bushes are smelling like a litterbox (really, really strong litterbox.. REALLY. I hate bushes.). My doggies go out and come in smelling like it (especially big Boo, who also pees in the bushes and rubs on them).

Anything to deter kitties? These ones don't seem to mind doggies at all.

angie79
January 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I'm trying the same thing since cooper was attacked by kitty last week in our yard....
I've put moth balls in the hedges that line the property(so its on the outside of the fence) and someone said to make a perimater of cyenne pepper... bought a big thing (costco size) for just over 3$ gonna give that a try once the wind dies down but if you find anything else, better, proven, ..... let me know :highfive:

Inverness
January 18th, 2006, 08:58 PM
There's a company called Contech that sells a great deterrent that you plug on your garden hose (which you cannot use in the Winter, obviously) and works wonders (it's called the Scarecrow). They have other products that use high pitch sounds that might work too. Have a look at their website: http://www.scatmat.com/home.asp

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 10:22 PM
But won't those products affect the dogs too? (Like the high pitched noise and the hose?)

Where do you buy moth balls? Do the cats eat the cayenne pepper? It's not harmful? So many questions...:o

papillonmama
January 18th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Some natural summer solutions, maybe helpful...

http://www.cat-repellant.info/html/diy-cat-deterrents.htm

There are not so natural solutions there too.

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Citronella could be easy to find... Maybe if I spray the bushes?

Inverness
January 18th, 2006, 11:11 PM
But won't those products affect the dogs too? (Like the high pitched noise and the hose?)

Well you simply turn the system off when you take the dogs out... ;)

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 11:19 PM
But what if I leave them out all night by accident? I mean they're black and all. Oh, wait. That's not me.:evil: :evil:

Ya, see I don't have a lot of insulation here... My doggies would probably hear it through the walls (or at least I'd worry about it..).

Inverness
January 18th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Bad girl Prin. Bad bad girl. :evil:

Inverness
January 18th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I say burn the bushes. Problem solved. :D

papillonmama
January 18th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I'm partial to citronella myself, if I want my cats to stay off of my counters for all of two minutes, I'll put orange peels up there, maybe if you use a combination of the citronella and their other suggestions, lemon grass, etc. it might be strong enough you don''t have to re-use it too often. And putting the orange peels down on the ground might make them not want to dig around that area so much.

I use a cayenne mixture for the raccoons who live on my roof and looove my garbage, but I don't think your dogs will be impressed either. But here's a link to the site I got the recipe from. http://www.urbanwildliferescue.org/humane/raccoons.htm#repel

I'm not positive, but I think mothballs can be harmful to kids and I'm pretty sure pets too.

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Oh I wish. I hate bushes. I just can't figure out whose they are. They start on our property and end half and half... I hate bushes. They're just spider and mosquito colonies. **shudder**

angie79
January 19th, 2006, 08:42 AM
apparently they dont like the smell of cyenne is all just like dogs dont like the taste put that on things when cooper was a pup so he wouldn't chew... guess he doesn't like the smell now either

chico2
January 19th, 2006, 08:52 AM
My own cats when they are out with me,love my little cedars and it seems so do other cats and it does eventually kill the cedars.
They are coming out this spring..
As for deterrents I don't really think there is such a thing,unless there is a way to have a loud noise every time a cat comes near the bushes:D
I would never put out cayenne-pepper,it would be a cruel experience for any animal,be it raccoons,squirrells,cats or dogs.
I put out mothballs once and watched the Cracklers(black-birds)pick them up and rub the scent all over their little bodies,works good against parasites:D not cats!!

Prin
January 20th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Oh... Now I have a dilemma. The cats will kill the bushes, you say? Hmmm... How long does it take? :D

mummummum
January 21st, 2006, 12:26 AM
Think of all the wonderful oxygen they're giving you !! What if you bought inexpensive plastic planters, filled them up with water and placed them all around the base of the bushes so they couldn't get at the bushes ? Don't kitties dislike wet feet ?

jesse's mommy
January 29th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Hey I just thought of something -- have you ever heard of snake away? My sister picked some up for my parents and had it at her house before she was able to give it to them and couldn't figure out why her cats were going crazy in her house until she read on the back that it affects rodents and stuff like that. As soon as she removed it from the house, the cats were fine. I read about it because we are going to have to get some for here and it's says it's safe for animals.

Prin
January 29th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Think of all the wonderful oxygen they're giving you !! What if you bought inexpensive plastic planters, filled them up with water and placed them all around the base of the bushes so they couldn't get at the bushes ? Don't kitties dislike wet feet ?
LOL The water would freeze pretty quickly... Besides, we have a HUGE maple in the front that supplies us with oxygen... :)

I've never heard of snake away... But then we don't tend to have snakes up here...

jiorji
January 30th, 2006, 01:10 AM
sigh.....pains me to read this thread Prin. Why can't you and the kitties just get along?? They obviously want to be friends with you. I know this because out of all bushes, they chose yours :D

Prin
January 30th, 2006, 12:55 PM
LOL We might get along- I'll put up with the smell as long as they promise to kill the bushes swiftly and quickly.:D :evil: