Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tattoos (people's)

Shamrock
January 18th, 2006, 05:41 PM
How do you feel about them?
Creative and colourful self expression.. or permanent "'branding' that is usuallly regretted sometime down the road?

Do you have any, or would you ever get one?

They appear to be very popular today...and though I've seen some that are tasteful and well done.. the real key - too many or too large look shocking to me.
I suppose I am old-fashioned in my viewpoint :) just dont know that the skin needs to be adorned in this way?
Though they apparently can be removed..I believe that in itself can be quite a task.

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I would never get one, but I have commitment issues...:o I think they can be beautiful (especially the delicate colorful ones), but at the same time, some people get the ugliest tatoos (the huge meaningless ones- keyword: meaningless). Same with everything, I guess. The tatoo is in the eye of the beholder.

Byrd
January 18th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I plan on marring my skin as a B-day gift to myself.

I am getting a little (about the size of a toonie) one on my left ankle. It is an Ankh surrounded by wings. I would like it done in browns so that it almost looks like henna. It is very meaningful to me as the Ankh is my favourite symbol and Isis is my deity.

I have wanted one for a very loooong time. I designed this one in July. I am chicken, not of the commitment, but of the pain.

SarahLynn123
January 18th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I love tattoo's, even the gross ugly ones! I think you can tell so much about a persons past experiences just by looking at their tattoos. My boyfriend has a few but has a great artist so his are always really well done. I dont have any but have contemplated getting one for a long time, I figure that once I know what I want and still want it a year later then I will probably get one!

raingirl
January 18th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I have one. Don't regret it at all. It's a lizard. The chinese symbol for "change" was created from a picture of a lizard, which is why I got it. At the time I was 18, moving out on my own and about to go to University, broke up with a BF of 5 years, etc etc..big changes.

It needs a touch up though.

I have a bunch more planned too. BF and I are going to get our names done in elvish, and we are going to add the names of all our kids and pets too (so Odin will go on there as well). Not sure if it will be in a spiral around a arm/leg or maybe down the centre of our backs. Not decided yet.

As for the pain. It really didn't hurt that much at all. Mine is on the fleshy area on my shoulder near my neck (the area you would usually get a shoulder massage on). Tattoos on bony areas hurt more. I have 7 piercings, and they hurt way more than the tattoo (the tattoo hurt less than getting a shot at the doc). it was kinda like someone was holding a vibrating ball point pen against my back...no pain really though.

My theory with tattoos is this. Learn as much as you can. learn about what colours stay brightest, which ones fade the quickest, which colours change over time (pinks can start to look brown after a while, and blacks can look blue).

Also, think about your body. If you want it to look nice for a long time, put it somewhere that isn't likely to swell or stretch easily. That's why I haven't got a tattoo on my belly or ankles or biceps, because they can easily change in size as you age. Your back/neck/wrists usually stay the same though.

Also, choose something you want, and don't get it right away. Wait and wait and wait and make sure you like it. And remember you can get a tattoo in stages, so if you like the superman symbol, but aren't sure if you want just the outline, or in colour, get the outline first, and they can always fill it in later.

And they are removable using lasers. Same stuff they use for removing acne scarring and such. Can be expensive, but the price has dropped dramatically.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I like tatoos on some people but havent really taken the leap to get one myself. Although I would never say never too a tatoo. I think one or two tasteful tatoos with some meaning behind is nice. More than a few and I think its over kill.
Also piercing a few is nice but too many and its not that attractive. I do plan on having my belly button repierced at some time. Also what is with that earing that makes the really big holes in the ear. That looks like it hurts.

BoxerRescueMTL
January 18th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I love tattoos. I have 4. For me, they each represent different times in my life and I like to look at them and remember these times. Especially my Monty tattoo :angel: I do plan on getting more. When I was a teenager, my mom thought that I would grow out of this "tattoo phase" and regret it. Now that I am a "responsible adult" :D she realizes that it is part of my lifestyle and not a phase.

jjgeonerd
January 18th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I also like tattoos...and anyone who has them will probably agree they are addictive. I would think one would only regret them if they didn't give the decision some thought before hand, or if they got something crude.

My 1st was Marvin the Martian on my ankle. Got this when I was in the fraternity in college and it was a tradition of sorts. I outgrew the fraternity so I'm glad there really is no way of telling that is what it was for. :p But the addiction had started.

My 2nd was a character from the bottom of a 1989 Barfoot snowboard. I had wanted it for years and my best friend (also singer/bass player in our band) wanted to get another one so we got them together.

My 3rd was an octopus on my upper left arm. Another good friend wanted to get his 1st tattoo so I decided to get one with him and I like octopus so there ya go.

My 4th (will be finished on Friday) is an Ox (I was born in 1973 - year of the Ox) and a Coi Fish (traditional Japanese and good luck). The Ox is above the Octopus on my upper arm/shoulder. The Coi is on the inside of the same arm. The Coi and Octopus are surrounded by Japanese water and the Ox is standing on Japanese rocks and surrounded by a dust cloud. It's all in traditional Japanese style. I decided to get this because the Octopus looked lonely on my arm and my wife wanted to get a small tattoo on the inside of her heal.

Whew...that was longer than I anticipated! :eek:

jjgeonerd
January 18th, 2006, 07:56 PM
BF and I are going to get our names done in elvish,

As for the pain. It really didn't hurt that much at all. .

Be careful with names...they can be a jinx IMO. I would do kids, but I'd never get a girlfriend or wife's name. Just my opinion though! ;)

I used to think they didn't hurt either. That was until I got the Coi on the inside of my arm. It hurt.....bad. :eek: The artist was impressed with my pain tolerance though. :thumbs up

Byrd
January 18th, 2006, 07:57 PM
It is an addiction. I have four planned and don't even have one yet. My neice (she is 23) has five.

Does anyone know how brown fades?

cpietra16
January 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I have one..it was 40th birthday gift to myself... I designed it so that it includes all my kids birthstones...Boy was my husband shocked..he never thought I would have the guts..are you kidding, I gave birth to 3 kids:cool:
He's got one too...all our kids chinese zodiac animals intertwined...really nice

BMDLuver
January 18th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I plan on marring my skin as a B-day gift to myself.

I am getting a little (about the size of a toonie) one on my left ankle. It is an Ankh surrounded by wings. I would like it done in browns so that it almost looks like henna. It is very meaningful to me as the Ankh is my favourite symbol and Isis is my deity.

I have wanted one for a very loooong time. I designed this one in July. I am chicken, not of the commitment, but of the pain.
I would rethink that location if you have never had a tatoo. Tatoo's on boney areas are very painful. I would suggest just travelling about 2 inches higher.

I have two tatoo's, one on my shoulder blade and the other on my ankle. The ankle one gave me a few moments of fuzziness, the shoulder one was a piece of cake.

My one tatoo has orange in it and is in need of recoloring. Orange apparently dissolves more easily but don't know about brown.

Gazoo
January 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Link to funny SNL tattoo skit

http://gorillamask.net/snltat.shtml

Byrd
January 18th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Nope, I'm set on the location. I don't like them too high on the side of the leg, I like them about an inch above the malleolus. I know it will hurt, but I will grin and bear it.

TobsterMom
January 18th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I have 2. I have a celtic heart on my shoulder blade and a celtic dragon on my lower back.

I'm getting more, I'd like to get paw prints walking up my ankle. The shoulder blade one wasn't bad, but the lower back one was really bad.

jesse's mommy
January 18th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I have a band of sunflowers over the top of my big toe that I got about 10 years ago. No regrets (in the present), but I was rather strategic with the location -- just in case I have regrets 30 years from now when I'm a grandmother. I got it on the top of my big toe because I knew as the years went on it would eventually rub off because shoes are constantly rubbing against your feet and peeling off the top layers of skin. The only thing I didn't realize was how fast it would rub off. It's still there, but it's EXTREMELY faded. I've been considering getting it recolored, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I love it and it looks cool with sandals. I know people say it hurts really bad in bony areas, but I'll be honest it really didn't hurt that much at all. No more than an annoying scratching. What hurt more was keeping my knee locked in one position (I've had three surgeries on the knee).

tulip
January 18th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Byrd, it is a location that will be more painful than some others, but it's also a nice place to put a tattoo, I don't blame you for wanting it there. Mine felt like sandpaper rubbing over and over, irritating but bearable. Hey, we're women, we're tough! I have one on my shoulder, a native american-style phoenix, rising. I got it a few months after my mother passed over (from cancer), and soon after I split from my ex. I had a lot of changes, but survived, and wanted something to remind me that no matter what happened, I could make it through, and emerge ever stronger because of it.

And since I've been watching Miami Ink (addictive!) I've realized that a lot of folks get tatts to commemorate someone they loved. I think it's beautiful art, and is definately mainstream nowadays.

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 11:12 PM
We're at post 18 and there aren't any pics? I keep hoping...:o

jesse's mommy
January 18th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I would take a picture of mine and post it, but we still haven't found the box that has the digital camera. :confused:

BoxerRescueMTL
January 18th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I only have a pic of the little one, it is my favourite though.
http://www.breederoo.com/members/monty/images/photos/gallery/4425-thumb.jpgOh I'm lying, I found one more pic.http://www.breederoo.com/users/monty/images/photos/gallery/10734-thumb.jpg

shannonRN
January 18th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I have one that I got about 12 years ago and it was a real statement for me at the time...along with piercing my nose and shaving my head, LOL. The hair has grown back, I'm back to only 2 holes in my nose, but the ink is still there to remind why I got it in the first place. It gives me strength when I see it; but the fact that it's actually ON my body permanently leaves me rather ambivalent. I could definitely live without it, but I don't regret it, either.

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Wow, you never know about people, eh? Shannon, you're so much cooler now.:D (Kidding... You're always cool.)

I love the Monty tatoo (especially the wings).

jjgeonerd
January 19th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Does anyone know how brown fades?

I don't believe any color fades too badly if you take care of it. Mainly keep it out of the sun or use sunblock regurlarly if you do go in the sun. Red is supposed to fade, but mine haven't because I take care of them.

Black also doesn't turn green anymore. My artist was telling me that the old blacks used to turn green because of something to do with your skin pigment. The manufacturers added some different colors to black and they now no longer turn green.

Batteries for my camera are dead now. I'll post some pics after they charge...either tomorrow, or after I get the new one finished this friday.

Shamrock
January 19th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Well, I must say that I am suprised that so many of you do have tattoos. Certainly attests to their popularity today!
Very interesting to hear what was (or will be) chosen, the reasons and see the pics too, as well as the best places to have them applied, etc.
I know nothing about tattoos at all.

I have one on my shoulder, a native american-style phoenix, rising. I got it a few months after my mother passed over (from cancer), and soon after I split from my ex. I had a lot of changes, but survived, and wanted something to remind me that no matter what happened, I could make it through, and emerge ever stronger because of it.

And since I've been watching Miami Ink (addictive!) I've realized that a lot of folks get tatts to commemorate someone they loved. I think it's beautiful art, and is definately mainstream nowadays.

Tulip, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. The phoenix is a wonderful symbol of renewal and stength -why you chose it very touching.
I too have recently become aware that tattoos are often used to commemorate a loved one. It is this aspect that interested me particularly.
I'm not sure at this point in my life if a tattoo would be "right".. or even advisable, but I must say that idea is a nice one.

It's probably best I stick with jewellry.:)

Dog Mom
January 19th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I've got 3 tattoo's 2 black stars on my shoulders and a dog foot print on my hip with my dog that passed away name under it. And loads of piercings. My mom thought that I would grow out of the "weirdo" stage. muahahaha fooled her didn't I. LOL

chico2
January 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Now at my age,it would probably be a saggy tattoo:D,but there was a time I really wanted one,either on my shoulder or ankle,but I chickened out.
BoxerRescue,the one in honour of Monty brought tears to my eyes:love: a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dog!

AliSam
January 19th, 2006, 08:39 AM
The guy who lives across the road from us has his son's 3 names tattooed around his leg. It is really big. It will be interesting to see what he does when they have their second child.

jiorji
January 19th, 2006, 08:51 AM
pro tats!

definetly. Even if i've had my share of bad tats. Long story with one of them, but it hasn't come out the way I wanted it. Nonetheless, it is my art and I love it.

I have 4...one tiny, one small and 2 what you would call "too large" lol
but i've drawn them all and they're all my artwork so no matter how saggy they get I'll still love them :D

I've always loved them, in spite of my parents' protests. And no this isn't cos of the bands I used to listen to in highschool lol

and yes they are very addictive, but tell a story. I've noticed that a tattoo can say a lot of a person's view on life, or their hobbies. Some have randomly placed tattoos that mean nothing(or so I think...I could be wrong...who am I to judge??) lol
I have some ideas for some new artwork, but, getting tattooed by a good guy/woman costs and I'm currently unemployed lol

BoxerRescueMTL I think that's a great gesture to get Monty's name tattooed :) Shows lots of love.

hey we should start a pets.ca member tattoo photo thread :D
I hope you won't mind Shamrock :)

SunGurl372
January 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I have four tattoos, all obtained during a 5-year term in the US Navy. My favorite is a rather large one on my upper back...pretty much takes up the entire right shoulder blade. Its a dragon, styled after the ones on the cover of Anne Mcaffrey's Dragons of Pern books. This is the one we took the design from (minus the dragonrider).

BoxerRescueMTL
January 19th, 2006, 09:12 AM
the one in honour of Monty brought tears to my eyes a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dog!
BoxerRescueMTL I think that's a great gesture to get Monty's name tattooed Shows lots of love.
Thanks guys :)

Writing4Fun
January 19th, 2006, 09:31 AM
SunGurl, I LOVE the Dragonriders series! I've been wanting to have one painted on my motorcycle every since I first bought it.

My tat is on my right hip - a unicorn, because I so love fantasy/mythical creatures. Right after I got it, I was considering getting another, but I held off and the addiction has passed. :D

JJ, my hubby wants the Flying D on his chest or shoulder, but he's too chicken to go and have it done. :rolleyes:

Have any of you seen the Robin Williams DVD (somewhere in New York, sorry I can't remember the exact title right now)? He talks briefly about tats. He says yeah, it's a great idea to get barbed wire around your upper arm when you're 18, but when you get older it'll turn into a picket fence. :p So, yeah, be careful of the location and design you choose now because you just might come to regret it later in life.

No pain?? Um, yeah. Mine is probably on the fleshiest part of my body and it felt like he was carving the design in my skin with an exacto knife. Maybe it was the stretchmarks that caused the pain. At any rate, be warned that people react very differently to tattoos, and a spot that someone else found completely painless might be agony for you. Just want everyone to be prepared. ;)

Rottielover
January 19th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Hey guys...I have 5 tatoos, and will be getting another one of a 2 inch pawprint with a heart inside with Harley's and Bears name in it. Do not know when, probably when I pay off the vet bill

jawert1
January 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM
This thread came at the right time, since I've been debating one now (one of my close friends just got his 2nd) and am clueless about designing it. Anyone got ideas for the symbolic representation of "whatever is whatever" LOL ?

Bearsmom
January 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I'm way too chicken of needles to consider a tattoo, personally, I like them, my husband has one of Pegasus on his shoulder. When I'm bugging him, I tell him it's a unicorn....:p

jiorji
January 19th, 2006, 01:58 PM
No pain?? Um, yeah. Mine is probably on the fleshiest part of my body and it felt like he was carving the design in my skin with an exacto knife. Maybe it was the stretchmarks that caused the pain. At any rate, be warned that people react very differently to tattoos, and a spot that someone else found completely painless might be agony for you. Just want everyone to be prepared. ;)

weird. The fleshy parts are usually the less painful. I have a tat on my stomach and one on lower back. And gosh never doing lower back again or any other bony areas. Ok so bony is maybe 85% of my body :o

and I therefore agree with what you said about different pain spots on different people. It also has to do with the person's hand. Some tattoo artists have a heavier hand and that contributes to the pain as well. WHich is why yours most likely hurt.

Better luck next time!:thumbs up

SunGurl372
January 19th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Some tattoo artists have a heavier hand and that contributes to the pain as well.

Amen to that! The tat on my back was a killer....but I guess I should have expected that when I found out the gentleman's nickname was "Jack the Hammer"!!!!!! :eek:

jjgeonerd
January 19th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I have a tat on my stomach and one on lower back.

Better luck next time!:thumbs up

How was that one on your stomach? There was a guy getting one there last time I went in and he didn't look like he was having a good time! :eek:

Shamrock
January 19th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Now at my age,it would probably be a saggy tattoo:D,but there was a time I really wanted one,either on my shoulder or ankle,but I chickened out.
BoxerRescue,the one in honour of Monty brought tears to my eyes:love: a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dog!

lol... chico! My dilemma too;) I was visualizing a tiny rose,.maybe the size of a quarter, on my wrist - the same place where Boxer Rescue has the lovely touching tribute to Monty.
But with my....lets just say "mature" skin.... it could wind up looking more of a wilted rose.:D
I'm not concerned about the committment or the pain.. although both need careful consideration. I just dont see myself as a tat type.. realistically.

[/QUOTE hey we should start a pets.ca member tattoo photo thread :D
I hope you won't mind Shamrock :)[/QUOTE

Not in the slightest! The pics are highly interesting!

tulip
January 19th, 2006, 05:54 PM
A small part of my tattoo is over my shoulder blade, the pain there was very sharp as opposed to the sandpaper feeling for the rest of it, but the pain is fleeting! And you get the endorphine rush afterwards. For me, it didn't hurt at all once it was done.
A friend of mine had a black panther put on her lower back, she said it hurt so much she cried. It does depend on your pain tolerance, as well as shading (hurts more!).
I had mine done at Iris Tattoo in the Plateau, and had a good experience.

cpietra16
January 19th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I got mine on my lower back and beside feeling like someone was scratching me it really didn't hurt...And I have a very very low pain tolerance...actually its non-existant:D

Writing4Fun
January 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM
My favourite comment about tats came from Sandra Bullock on the Oprah show. Oprah had asked her about Jesse's tattoos. Sandra said she found them intimidating at first, but now she thinks they're great. It's like reading material when she can't sleep at night. :D :clown:

raingirl
January 20th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Here is my tattoo. It's quite faded even though I rarely have it out and always use a ton of sunscreen. Then again it's almost 10 years old. It really needs a touchup. It used to be bright turqoise and the dots were purple! Oh well...

I used the "collage" function in picasa to get two pics in one post!

NannyShaw
January 22nd, 2006, 01:14 AM
I got mine 4 years ago on a "Club Mom" weekend with the girls on Cape Cod. It's something we do every year to "get away" from the kids and the husbands. My friend Sue showed off a tat she got on her breast....I figured if she could do it so could I!!!

It's about two inches above my right ankle....the artist suggested I do it there instead on right on the ankle because of the pain factor. I had my three friends there to entertain me (distract me) so it wasn't too bad. I wanted to get a small sunflower but when I saw the lotus flower....I fell in love with it :love:

It was my mother's day present =) :crazy:

Beth :pawprint:

jjgeonerd
January 22nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
OK...here is mine. The octopus is about 6 years old...the rest was done in 2 sittings (~6 hours total) during the last 3 weeks.

Left arm/shoulder:

jjgeonerd
January 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Inside of same arm:

jiorji
January 22nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
ok well here's one of mine. uhh....long story....the right side is a bid messed up due to some unfortunate series of events. The flowers were added later on.

It's done in color but I found this B/W photo with a color detail.

jiorji
January 22nd, 2006, 08:35 PM
detail....

jesse's mommy
January 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
How is it messed up? I can't tell.

I think it's really cool.

glasslass
January 22nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
I'm sitting here giggling because I just realized I was seeing your tummy, not your back. I kept looking at the eyes in the middle and trying to guess what they represented. Suddenly I felt duhhhh! Not eyes, but a belly button piercing! Dumb me!

Okami
January 22nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
I would love to get a tattoo. But I've heard aweful things about girls getting them. Like if a girl should become pregnant her tattoo will be streched beyond recognition.

Writing4Fun
January 22nd, 2006, 10:55 PM
Depends on where you get it. Mine on my hip hasn't really suffered much despite gaining a whole lot of weight and two pregnancies. It's moved a little further north than it used to be, but is pretty much in good shape.;)

jiorji
January 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM
How is it messed up? I can't tell.

Most people can't and if you can't I don't like pointing out the errors lol

I would love to get a tattoo. But I've heard aweful things about girls getting them. Like if a girl should become pregnant her tattoo will be streched beyond recognition.

well first of all you can get it done in a bunch of other places that won't stretch.

Secondly, the skin is stretchy enough to come back to its original state after childbirth. Same thing with losing weight. Overweight people don't worry about it do they?

Shamrock
January 23rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
Wow! Those are impressive looking tattoos! Thanks for sharing pics of them - very interesting indeed.
Some of these must have taken quite a long time to apply... you 're very brave...:)
I have to admit I have an aversion to needles - cant even watch this on tv.:o
As long as I dont "see" though.. I'm ok.

tulip
January 24th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I had a facial a couple days ago and was thinking of this thread, because getting my tattoo hurt less than having the extractions!!!!