Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sudden Destructiveness, Maybe SA??

BernerLver
January 18th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I am concerned about some recent destructive behaviours my dog has begun to exhibit. Bailey is a neutered 1.5 year old male BMD. He is crate trained however a few months ago we began to notice that he was totally crazy (not just puppy, happy to see you excitement) when we arrived home after a day of being in the crate. We tried leaving him with interactive toys (Kongs, Buster cubes etc), longer walks before leaving for the day, leaving the radio on, but nothing seemed to help.

We decided that maybe he found the crate too confining so we constructed a small “kennel” for him in our basement. It’s basically just a larger area penned off using an exercise pen. We put his bed and toys in and at first he seemed to like it and seemed much happier and calmer.

Recently however he has begun to jump up and tear at the thick plastic covering the insulation in the basement. I know he is jumping because the insulation doesn’t start until 5 feet from the floor. He has done this twice now.

My primary concern is his safety although I don’t believe he is eating the insulation based on the amount left in his kennel. I think he is just having fun tearing it off.

I live close enough to work so I thought a solution would be to go home at lunch to let him our and break up the day for him. When I arrived home at lunch he was fine calm, happy to see me etc. I spent approx. 45 min with him and then put him back in his kennel with some of his toys and left. I was home again approx. 3.5 hours later and he behaved as he would have if I have never come home at all and he had destroyed all the repairs to the wall I made and torn out more insulation.

I am stumped as to what could be causing this behaviour and am not sure what to do. Is he lonely? Does he need another dog fro companionship?

Maybe we are unknowing doing something wrong? Is he just testing us?

Sorry for the long post. I would greatly appreciate any help/advice.

StaceyB
January 18th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Think back to when you believe this all started. It seems strange that a dog of his age would all of a sudden develop separation anxiety. My guess is that it is something else. Were there any changes in the home, even ones you don't think could be the cause.

Beetlecat
January 18th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Dogs can be anxious and exibit bad behaviours when there are large changes to their lives, or to their owners lives, such as a divorce, new child, fired from job, etc.

And if the owners or other people around often are anxious, it can rub off onto the dog.

BernerLver
January 18th, 2006, 10:25 AM
This could explain things. My husband recently beagn a new career as a police officer. He's home more now working 2 day shifts, 2 night shifts and then having 4 days off.

Perhaps Bailey is having a difficult time figuring out and adjusting to this new change?

I really thought he would enjoy having both of us home more.

Is there anyway I can alleviate his stress and help him adapt better?