Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost Sheltie in MI

Missing Sheltie
January 17th, 2006, 10:41 PM
While I was home visiting my mom for the holidays, I had someone caring for my dog, Griffey. On December 26, 2005, Griffey was on a leash with his collar and tags when there were gunshots in the area. Griffey was spooked, squirmed out of his collar, and escaped through a small gap in the fence. I flew home from my vacation early to search for my dog. One person called saying that they saw Griffey running east on Bethel Church Rd near Kothe Rd in Manchester, MI on Thursday, December 29, 2005.

It is now believed that a lady may have picked up Griffey on the side of the road before attending the horse auction at the livestock exchange in Manchester, MI on January 1, 2006. I have put flyers in newspaper boxes of everyone within a 5 mile radius of Manchester. I have also put flyers in store fronts in Manchester, Saline, Chelsea, Napolean, Brooklyn, and Clinton. I have contacted the Ann Arbor, Jackson, Adrian, and Taylor shelters. There is also an ad in the Ann Arbor News along with many of the more local papers in Manchester, Saline, Chelsea, etc. I think I have covered most of the bases, but I gladly welcome any additional suggestions.

If anyone has any information about where Griffey is, please contact me. I miss Griffey terribly, and I love him more than words can express. He is a very important part of my family. I will never give up my search for Griffey, and I will do whatever it takes to find him.

Griffey is a male sable and white sheltie with only a tan flea collar on. He is 4 years old, weighs approximately 22 pounds, and he is very shy. I have attached a picture (hopefully it attached correctly). Please post a message on here or email me at missingsheltie@hotmail.com even if you think you might have seen Griffey somewhere. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Missing Sheltie

Sheltielover
January 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Oh I hope you find your Griffey soon:( ....I know all too well what you are going through unfortunately. We lost Abbey our little girl sheltie on October 17,2005 when she got out of an open door at the breeders home. She is 3 yrs old. She has been gone for what seems like an eternity..we miss her soo much and wish she were back home where she belongs.......(you can see my story under Missing sheltie a number of posts down). Best of luck in your search for Griffey,I hope you have a very happy ending,and I still hope that we do too! I attached a pic of Abbey for you to see as well. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for Griffey while I remain on my search for Abbey...

chico2
January 18th, 2006, 04:24 PM
It so very sad to read about missing dogs,Shelties are wonderful little dogs:love:
I know you,Sheltielover will never give up on Abbey and every time I check your posts I am hoping she is back home..

I am hoping with all my heart to hear some good news soon,from both of you.
I know if I found a stray dog,I would do everything I could to find the owner,but Shelties are exceptionally sweet,maybe someone has picked them up and decided to keep them:sad:
A story and pic in the newspaper is probably a great idea.

coppperbelle
January 18th, 2006, 06:45 PM
My heart breaks for both of you and everyone else who has lost a dog. I cannot imagine what you are going through.
One suggestion I have is that you check the local shelters daily, just don't call, go there in person.

Good luck and please let us know if you find your beloved pets.

Lola Bologna
January 28th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Good luck to all of you in finding your sweeties.

My story was not a happy ending. While visiting friends in Chicago, my dog fled out the door and was killed by a car while in someone's care. Needless to say our vacation did not end in a happy note.

I would suggest calling the local police also. I am not implying the same may have happened, but often times people do call the police. Hopefully, the police network with the shetlters. Vet offices are a good source too. Drop off pictures, information on tatoo markings, any markings that can identify the dog.

With my situation it was the police that contacted me. My dog had an ID collar with a contact phone number.

I am now looking for another sheltie but on the smaller side. They do make great companions and they are so funny and smart.

Fil

Missing Sheltie
March 21st, 2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. I still have not found Griffey, but I'm not giving up. Please keep an eye out for Griffey, as he could be anywhere with anyone. Every day I miss Griffey more and more, and I just want him back in the worst way. If you hear of anyone who has found a sweet, but shy little sheltie, especially in the Michigan, Ohio, Indiana area, please check to see if if matches the description of my dog. I am willing to offer a substantial reward for his safe return. Please Help!!!

Sheltielover
March 24th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Hi, I'm sorry you still haven't found Griffey, but I know so well what it feels like as we never found Abbey either. Its been over 5 mths now,and there has been no sign of her in over 3 mths,so chances are shes not coming home to us. Needless to say I will always look for her, online and on all the found animal sites in hopes for some miracle. Lola Bologna- I'm sorry to hear about your dog,thats heartbreaking, one thing at least you could put an end to it which is something that we can't do yet. Good luck in your search for a new pup.

Missing Sheltie--- Good Luck and keep up the search,hopefully your baby will find his way back home to you somehow. These little guys sure wrap there way around your heart,I miss Abbey so much and still sometimes find it hard to believe that shes gone:sad:

cpietra16
March 24th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Sheltielover...just know that I too am always on the lookout for your dog....as soon as see anything to do with a sheltie, I'm there. I hope there's a happy ending for you both.

Luba
April 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
SAw this somewhere else sometimes people get ages mixed up. It's not impossible for dogs to travel or to be dropped off by motorists who pick them up on the road. There was no email addy and no picture, sorry.

Pet name: UNKNOWN

Current status: FOUND BY CONTACT LISTED BELOW
Description: shepherd collie mix, good temperament, friendly, no collar or ID, will take her to the vet tomorrow to see if she has a microchip.
Breed: shepherd x collie
Sex: Female
Spayed/Neutered: Yes
Town/City Pet was Found: Wallaceburg
Province/Territory: ON
Area Pet was Found: Elgin Park beside St. Elizabeth school
Date found (d/m/yyyy): 5/3/2006

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Contact name: M Gough
City: Wallaceburg
Province: ON
Phone: (519)627-0009