Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog cannot be left alone- Help?

Misty'sMom
January 17th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I just love all these dogs. Anyone have any advice for a puppy that doesn't want to be left alone? When I leave her alone, (even for a 1/2 hour) she chews on my french door. I put her in the back porch (Barred in), she has water, her kong, and even a window to look out. I can't even tie her on outside, by herself. Any ideas? Thanks...

White Wolf
January 17th, 2006, 09:50 PM
This post was moved here because it deserved to have its own thread.;)

Here is a thread on a similar subject: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23108

tenderfoot
January 18th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Please NEVER tied a dog anywhere and leave it alone - you could come home to a horrible scene.
Crate training is probably your best answer here. Go to our web site and look up our crate training article - it will give you good guidelines.
Some people never need to use a crate as their lifesyle permits training without it. But for the sake of your french doors and the puppies safety it would be best to get started soon.

angie79
January 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
does the dog have something like a stuffed frozen kong to keep her occupied. are you leaving the tv/radio on?
never tried it but they have cd's for dog anxiety..

StaceyB
January 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM
What do you do when your puppy starts to bark. Do you return to comfort or do you ignore it or do you do something else.

Misty'sMom
January 18th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I don't leave her unattended outside, she doesn't want to be anywhere (house or outside) without someone in sight all the time. When I leave, I fill her kong to keep with her, but she never touches it until I come home, then she grabs the kong, takes off to her crate and eats it then. I leave the radio on, I leave her toys, water. She gives new meaning to the word seperation anxitity(sorry poor speller). Every time I try to train her to stay in her crate, she does both lots of business in it, and I face a huge mess when I come home. She doesn't like being in small places, (her crate is a x-large). I really don't know what else to do.

angie79
January 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM
how old is she?

I think she hasn't realized yet that you always come back.

if she is really young she will come around...

StaceyB
January 18th, 2006, 04:46 PM
It sounds like it could be SA but is the only thing that she is doing when she is in the larger space is chew the doors. If so you may want to get an x-pen to line the room, keeping her away from the walls and doors.

Misty'sMom
January 18th, 2006, 09:24 PM
She's 11 months old. She likes to do her business when I leave her, it's a mess to face when I come home. She does it, then jumps in it, and trails it all over the place. I keep her confined to one area, to get her used to it, but nothing seems to work. I know she has SA, I can hear her barking as I walk away from the door. I even set up the tape recorder one day to see if she just does it while she thinks I'm close or if it's all the time. She barked none stop for a full hour and half. :confused:

Prin
January 18th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Have you tried going away for longer and longer periods of time? Like first, go in and out and then out for a bit longer and longer... So that she gets the idea that you're always going to come back.

StaceyB
January 19th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Do you set up a special place for her to use to go to the washroom like a puppy pad. If you line the whole room or giving her nothing is not helpful at all. You can tape the pad to the floor or get the frame for them to keep her from tearing them up.

maddoxies
January 19th, 2006, 09:07 AM
What breed is Misty? And what part of Nfld are you in? I may know someone who can help.

tenderfoot
January 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
You need to back track in your training. Start putting her in the crate when you are home and doing chores. Just for short periods of time - she needs to know that the crate is not all about you leaving. Do not even look at her if she complains - no rewards. However if she is obnoxious about her complaints then you should correct her bad behavior with a firm tone and some sort of startle. Never let her out if she is complaining. When she has been good for a few minutes then you can let her out.
You need to desensitize her to the crate and to your coming and going. When she is good in the crate with you home then start grabbing your keys & coat and just move them about the house. Now you are desensitizing her to the triggers of leaving. From there just pop in and out of the door - but ignore her when you leave and come back. You need to become a none event. You come and go all of the time - sometimes she is in her crate and sometimes she is just in the room. But your life is terribly busy and you haven't got time for farewells or greetings as you come and go a thousand times until she is sooooooooo bored of your antics that she barely raises her head to see that its you.
This is going to take some time, so be ready to put in the time.
You also need to look at your behavior with her. Does she get what she wants all of the time when she wants it? Do you make her do jobs for you through out the day? Does she have to earn the love, play and food in her life? or is she catered to? Sometimes SA is a symptom of her demanding behavior getting out of control. She is used to calling the shots all of the time and when you walk out she thinks she can demand that you come back. She is used to being catered to. Work on her sit (or down)-stays. Start teaching her patience. Have her do a sit/stay while you walk around the room, then while you walk around the house, then when you go out the front door etc. Teach her how to be patient and wait for you.

Misty'sMom
January 19th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks everyone. She is fine in her crate until I leave. I have put her in there, done work around the house, etc, but as soon as I put her in her crate and leave. She knows when I"m gone and she makes me pay for it. She does work for her treats and play. She knows she has to sit/give paw/roll over to get treats, she knows that she has to sit and wait for me to take her leash off in the porch, and when I do come home before I acknowledge her. I'm finding it hard to teach her sit/stay. She's 11 months old, black Lab/English Setter mix. I live in the Clarenville area of Newfoundland. Thanks again everyone, I'm going to keep trying and trying with her.

StaceyB
January 20th, 2006, 07:31 AM
What do you do when she has these fits. Do you ignore it or do you acknowledge her by trying to correct, comfort, etc. As what was mentioned in another post. Place her in her crate and start by picking up your purse or coat or putting it on and then put it down or take it off. Once this is no longer an event for her you can expand and start getting the stuff on and go to the door and then go out and back in. All the time ignoring her behaviour. You want to do this very often. If you only do it a few times a day it will take much longer.
When she is good when you walk out the door and back in start waiting outside starting with a few seconds and build up to several minutes.